Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrade to windows 10

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bulla

bulla

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 07 February 2016 - 10:18 PM

when windows is upgraded from 7 to 10,it causes nearly all the start up folders/file for the earlier programs installed display disappear or become blank and every folder has to be then reinstalled through properties<security<taking ownership<authorising the user ID with all the rights.Obviously, if one has installed a number of programs/applications ,reinstalling   recreating the start up folders one by one is a tedious task. Any one who can suggest any remedy different from this.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 09 February 2016 - 06:44 AM

I do not suggest an upgrade/update to W10.

My suggestion is to backup your data, then do a clean install of W10 and then installing the programs that you need.A

Although it's tedious, you will avoid all the problems associated with updating to W10 (and the subsequent attempts to repair, then trying to revert to W7, or even resorting to a clean install of W10)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 09 February 2016 - 10:54 AM

"I do not suggest an upgrade/update to W10.

My suggestion is to backup your data, then do a clean install of W10 and then installing the programs that you need.A

Although it's tedious, you will avoid all the problems associated with updating to W10 (and the subsequent attempts to repair, then trying to revert to W7, or even resorting to a clean install of W10)"

Usasma, has there been a recent change where you can do a clean install of 10 and still get the free update?  In the past you had to have a "qualifying" version of 7 SP1 or 8.1 installed to get the free update.  Has that changed?  If it has, I must've missed it (a definite possibility!).  Is there a link you could post to that announcement?  TIA

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,631 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 09 February 2016 - 11:08 AM

"I do not suggest an upgrade/update to W10.

Although it's tedious, you will avoid all the problems associated with updating to W10 (and the subsequent attempts to repair, then trying to revert to W7, or even resorting to a clean install of W10)"

Usasma, has there been a recent change where you can do a clean install of 10 and still get the free update?  In the past you had to have a "qualifying" version of 7 SP1 or 8.1 installed to get the free update.  Has that changed?  If it has, I must've missed it (a definite possibility!).  Is there a link you could post to that announcement?  TIA

You might be misunderstanding something, but I am not sure exactly what your point is. The OP had Windows 7 so he definately qualifies for Windows 10. A clean install of Windows 10 will just avert many of the problems associated with an update or an upgrade. That is all that usasma was saying, and of course he is right.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 11:53 AM

In the past you couldn't get the free version of Windows 10 without doing the upgrade first.  That means you couldn't format your HDD and clean install Windows 10 and activate it free.  What you had to do was to do the upgrade first.  Then (and only then) you could do the format and clean install.  This is because of the new way MS handles licenses with 10.  They don't use keys like in earlier versions.  When you upgrade, they save your configuration info in their servers so that then they know you have a Windows 10 license.  After that you can format the hard drive and do the clean install.  Unless there's been a recent change I missed, that's how it works.  That started 10/1/2014 when I entered the Windows 10 Insider program.

So has there been a recent change?  If so, I need to get updated so I'd greatly appreciate seeing a link to that info.  TIA

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,630 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 11:58 AM

Niweg, since the November Update (Windows 10 TH2), it's possible to clean install Windows 10 and activate it using a Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 product key.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,000 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:10 PM

Further to post#2,

A really helpful thing to do (in general) is keep the installer exe files for programs you install, keep these installer exe files on a USB or cd/dvd disc... Then when you: change a computer to a new OS, wipe a computer to a fresh state, buy a new computer... you can just insert the USB/cd/dvd copy the installers from it onto the computer's harddrive and then run them to install the programs you want on the new machine. Note that this works well for offline installers (those which contain all their files and can work without need of an internet connection), it doesn't work so well for online installers (smaller exe files, because they don't carry the files they need, rather they download them from the relevant developer's website when you run these sort of installer exe files) unless the new machine is connected to the internet before you run the installers. This is a way of, at least somewhat, backing up your programs as well.

P.S. whatever you do make a system image first, so you can return to your old OS (your old OS in exactly the configuration you like it with the programs yu need installed rather than simply your old OS in factory default state) more easily if you don't like win10 or if something goes wrong during upgrade and you can't even get win10 to install.

Edited by rp88, 09 February 2016 - 12:12 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#8 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:20 PM

Niweg, since the November Update (Windows 10 TH2), it's possible to clean install Windows 10 and activate it using a Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 product key.

Thanks Aura.  That is new news to me.  That's a good move on the part of MS, showing they do listen to SOME of what we ask for!  Can you point me to where they announced this?  I assume it was in one of the updates, but don't know which one to look at.  TIA

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,630 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:54 PM

Simply Google "Windows 10 november update activation" for more links.

http://www.howtogeek.com/232176/whats-new-in-windows-10s-first-big-update-the-windows-10-fall-update/
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-10/activation-in-windows-10

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#10 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 02:36 PM

Thanks guys.  I sure missed that announcement.  You try to keep up, but every now and then one of these slips by you.  I'm glad MS did this.  If they'll just leave the user interface alone now, maybe they can convert more folks to 10.  Amazing what a company can do when they think it'll put more money in their pocket.   :thumbsup:

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:43 AM

You can still install W10 the old way (install W7 SP1, then update to 10), or you can do it "clean" using the W7 product key and a 1511 version of W10.

The critical portion is to ensure that it's activated (so you can reinstall it without the key if needed).

To check this, run slmgr /xpr in a Command Prompt.

If it says it's Permanently Activated, then you're all set (the activation info for that hardware is stored on the Microsoft servers)

Edited by usasma, 10 February 2016 - 07:43 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users