Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Concerns over game...

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 a.h.h.10

a.h.h.10

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 07 February 2016 - 08:24 PM

Hi.

A few years ago I bought a PC game off of Amazon; it's Roller Coaster Tycoon 3. It was from a seller that was fulfilled by Amazon.

For awhile, I've been suspicious about whether or not this copy is legal. I've looked up how to spot fake CD's and DVD's and the things about this game have been passing as legal, but I can't get over one thing - I think this game is supposed to have a key to work, however it doesn't come with a key and doesn't prompt for a key at installation.

Is it possible for a legal game to not have a key like this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 12:12 PM

Older games and lower budget games don't require keys for the most point. I'm not certain about this particular title though.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 a.h.h.10

a.h.h.10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:54 PM

Older games and lower budget games don't require keys for the most point. I'm not certain about this particular title though.

When I do a search, there's apparently supposed to be a key for Roller Coaster Tycoon 3. But like I said, mine didn't come with one and it doesn't ask for it.

I paid about $6.00 for it a few years ago. I did a search on eBay to see if I could find one just like mine and was only able to find one out of it all.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLLERCOASTER-TYCOON-3-for-PC-CD-ROM-Video-Game-NEW-IN-PLASTIC-2004-/222008786162?hash=item33b0c13cf2:g:BEUAAOSwgQ9Vz0d9

I've noticed the box and CD seem to differ a bit, but most of them are minor differences.

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 09 February 2016 - 02:00 PM

When I do a search, there's apparently supposed to be a key for Roller Coaster Tycoon 3. But like I said, mine didn't come with one and it doesn't ask for it.

I paid about $6.00 for it a few years ago. I did a search on eBay to see if I could find one just like mine and was only able to find one out of it all.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLLERCOASTER-TYCOON-3-for-PC-CD-ROM-Video-Game-NEW-IN-PLASTIC-2004-/222008786162?hash=item33b0c13cf2:g:BEUAAOSwgQ9Vz0d9

I've noticed the box and CD seem to differ a bit, but most of them are minor differences.

Searching the webwebs for a serial number of any prodct always generate results with serial numbers, even if the product never had a serial number. Some games come with a serial but never prompt you to enter it. May only be there for proof of purchase.

What about the game makes you think it is pirated a.h.h.10?

Edited by Gorbulan, 09 February 2016 - 02:00 PM.

#5 a.h.h.10

a.h.h.10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 02:25 PM

Searching the webwebs for a serial number of any prodct always generate results with serial numbers, even if the product never had a serial number. Some games come with a serial but never prompt you to enter it. May only be there for proof of purchase.

What about the game makes you think it is pirated a.h.h.10?

1. The back cover of the game is zoomed in, so the quality looks bad.

2. On the actual disc, the print quality isn't great in some spots; a bit distorted on the words, Atari's logo, and the E rating.

3. The manual to the game is a pdf file with a different cover from the box

4. When I scroll down in the game manual to one of the last pages where it has all the copyrights, I notice it has a number 12034 whereas on the game box shows the part number on the UPC as 20123DC and the disc has the number 20123 on it.

5. It didn't come with a key and didn't ask for one at installation; my understanding is that this kind of game is supposed to have one.

#6 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 04:47 PM

Those are actually valid concerns IMO. Anyway for you to report whoever sold the game to you?
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#7 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 05:07 PM

Definitely sounds fishy. No reason a legit copy would have horribly printed box art. Better report it to eBay. They have a policy against pirated software, They are known to be good at helping customers.

#8 a.h.h.10

a.h.h.10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:47 PM

Those are actually valid concerns IMO. Anyway for you to report whoever sold the game to you?

I bought it off of Amazon from BR Bargains Software & DVD Store; it's the default buyer when you look at that game on Amazon. Also says they are fulfilled by Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Rollercoaster-Tycoon-3-PC/dp/B00029QOQS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1455071979&sr=8-2&keywords=roller+coaster+tycoon+3

When you go to the seller's store, one of the things they say is "All products sold are brand new, in various packaging formats."

The game they show has a much different package than I have.

Definitely sounds fishy. No reason a legit copy would have horribly printed box art. Better report it to eBay. They have a policy against pirated software, They are known to be good at helping customers.

I actually bought it off of Amazon. I posted the one from eBay to show the copy I had. I didn't mean to confuse you.

I could post some scans and let you all further decide.

Like I said earlier, there were some things about it that were legit and some that seemed suspicious.

#9 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 11:35 PM

The way you describe the box and stuff makes me think it is a fraudulent copy. You can post some scans if you want. You'll need them anyway to send to Amazon.

#10 a.h.h.10

a.h.h.10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:42 PM

I'm gonna wait on posting scans. I scanned the cover art and these lines show up on it that aren't really there.

But I have a question that I'm hoping you all can answer - if a disc is not legit, can it ever look like a real disc on the bottom?

I've inspected mine and it looks like a real disc; it doesn't look like a recordable one; I've compared it to other games that I have and it looks about the same.

However, I've compared my disc to the discs that people have posted online and mine looks different; the color is a little off on mine and I noticed that in the legal copies it doesn't have a black distorted line in the red letters like mine does.

#11 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 12:14 PM

It is still possible for a pirated copy to have a legit looking disc. You mentioned a discrepancy in the graphics of disc which is odd. But, sometimes manufacturers will make the same game twice with different graphics or text.

Can't tell much more without looking at the disc and box. But as you said, the flaws don't seem to show up in a scan.

#12 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:28 PM

You say in #1 "A few years ago . . . ".

I believe it is now far too late to take any action over this, even if your copy is pirated. You bought it in good faith from a seller you had reason to trust, just be grateful it works and hasn't infested your computer(s) with malware. I might be reluctant to deal with that particular supplier again - if they are still in business - but again it is always possible that they were scammed. It wouldn't be the first time that a reputable company has been fooled by a supplier themselves.

Chris Cosgrove

#13 a.h.h.10

a.h.h.10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:38 AM

You say in #1 "A few years ago . . . ".

I believe it is now far too late to take any action over this, even if your copy is pirated. You bought it in good faith from a seller you had reason to trust, just be grateful it works and hasn't infested your computer(s) with malware. I might be reluctant to deal with that particular supplier again - if they are still in business - but again it is always possible that they were scammed. It wouldn't be the first time that a reputable company has been fooled by a supplier themselves.

Chris Cosgrove

I think if this is a possible illegal disc, I think the seller was scammed too.

I have some more stuff if you're willing to help.

On the Internet, it talks about how legit discs are "stamped". I'm not sure what this "stamped" appearance looks like (or if you can even see it), but I have been comparing the disc with other games that I have and I notice that the legal discs have this wavy circle on the bottom of the disc. Maybe you can see it, maybe you can't. Not sure if this is the "stamped" look, but I don't think a burned disc could produce that specific appearance.

Also, if it is an illegal disc, would the person making this even bother to put the copyrights anywhere on the package? I've read that copyrights and company logos can be missing, but I haven't seen this. The copyrights and logos are present.

#14 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 03:22 PM

Pirates will include copyrights and logos to make something look legit. When they say "stamped" they mean originally manufactured. Not burned, like you would do with a CD at home. Here are some pics comparing them: 

fakecd.jpg

DVDvDVDR.jpg

#15 a.h.h.10

a.h.h.10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 04:34 PM

My disc definitely doesn't look like a burned disc.

I've also noticed that in the inner ring on the bottom it says "RPP-CA CR13867 Roller Coaster Tycoon 3-CD"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users