Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't start without taking the battery out and replaced...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 John in Oman

John in Oman

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 07 February 2016 - 07:57 PM

We have a Sony laptop which needs to have the battery taken out and replaced before it will boot up. The battery seems ok otherwise as it registers 100% charge the whole time  In addition to that, the comp will freeze, hang or whatever it is called randomly.  There appears to be no viruses and the comp is always kept squeaky clean.

Thank you for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 07 February 2016 - 10:22 PM

Run Seatools for Windows to check your hard drive and create a bootable disk of Memtest86+ to test your RAM. Let it run for 6 passes and preferably overnight.

Look in Event Viewer under System for any clue as to why the computer would freeze. 

Edit: Try powercycling the computer. Remove the power cord and battery. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the power cord and battery. Reboot. Shutdown. Remove the power cord.  Try rebooting with only the battery. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 February 2016 - 10:48 PM.

#3 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 11:09 PM

Thank you very much for your quick reply. Will do all you suggest then take it from there. Enjoy your day!

#4 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:02 AM

We were not able to get anywhere with the Seatools and we have no place to put a bootable disk in the laptop. We have a Sony external USB disc drive but it is not working. It is my daughter's laptop who is as clueless as me with these things,so we might not be doing everything correctly!  Powercycling is our only way of starting the computer anyway.

Is there a program you can recommend so that we can do a test and send the log over to you to look at please? 

Edited by John in Oman, 09 February 2016 - 03:04 AM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,612 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:54 AM

What was the issue with Seatools? You can create a bootable USB flash drive using the iso or Memtest. Download and run Rufus on another comptuer. Make sure your flash drive is listed. Select MBR for a partition scheme. Leave everything as checked. Where you see FreeDos select iso image in the dropdown box and browse to the iso of memtest. Press Start. Backup any data on the computer.  Attach the flash drive. According to this link you can tap F11 at boot to boot from the USB. If that does not work then make sure USB is the first boot device in BIOS.

I am under the impression this is a hardware issue, especially if the computer cannot boot unless it is powercycled. According to this link you can start diagnostics on the Sony by tapping F10 at boot.

Download Minitoolbox

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Paste the log in your next post.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 ,

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.
  4. Copy the URL in your next post.

#6 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 12:52 AM

Hi Jon.  Seatools came up with nothing!  I will try everything you suggest above, but i am having difficulty getting the Sony to do anything at all. I can start a download then nothing ever happens. It takes for ever just to finish the download after which it goes no further. Actually i will go straight to Minitoolbox as what you suggest before that, my 76 yr old brain won't be able to fathom it out Lol  Thanks once more.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,612 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:33 AM

Powercycle the computer again but do not replace the main battery. Does the computer boot again after shutdown without the battery installed?

#8 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:03 AM

Hi again! No absolutely nothing.

#9 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:09 AM

I am going to make sure the battery is well charged and try again. There would be no indication without logging in, and my daughter is not here at the moment.. Will get back to you soon. Thanks.

Edited by John in Oman, 11 February 2016 - 03:55 AM.

#10 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 05:02 AM

No, it doesn't work i am afraid.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,612 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 08:50 AM

I am afraid that is is a hardware problem that cannot be solved over the forum. The one thing you may want to look at is a CMOS battery replacement if it is easily accessed. Do you have the model number of the Vaio?

#12 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:54 AM

Oh dear. It is a PCG-21341W.  Thanks for your help John!

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,612 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 08:44 AM

The closest Sony I could find to your model was here. I don't recommend you replace it yourself as the battery is buried under the cover. Even if you replace it at a shop there is no guarantee this would solve the problem. 

GP1_Mu_VT44w_Dd5i_Zk.jpg

#14 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:21 PM

Thanks John anyway. I think i shall give up on this one now. Regards John.

#15 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:20 PM

I highly doubt that it will help.
  1. Say, how old your computer is, say how many years about.
  2. What OP system is installed
  3. When was installed on the system and how, ie, whether was upgraded from a previous version, or was done new clean installation.
At the moment I can only say so much, that the characteristics are very familiar with. If I know these things, only then get something to consider and suggest.
Just in case, could also add all the other things you've seen recently, what is or was abnormal behavior, I mean.

In this forum, I am a freshman, in some others an old "inmate" already, have written nearly 4,000 articles, recommendations etc, for example.
Good luck to You.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users