Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comcast / Issues staying connected *Looking for Suggestions*

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bkweibley

bkweibley

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 07 February 2016 - 07:56 PM

Well guys the Title pretty much explains my issues.  I have comcast and I constantly drop connection.  It happens on my laptop, mine and my wifes phones, and our tablets.  This tells me the issue is either Comcast or the router comcast gave us (Technicolor TC8503C)  Do I need to buy my own router for better performance?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 07 February 2016 - 09:42 PM.
moved from Service Providers to Networking

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:36 PM

Purchasing your own router is an option. You would have to put the Comcast gateway into bridge mode. Instructions on how to do this can be found here

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode/

That may not solve your issue if there is a signal issue.

Read this for suggestions on things to try Connection Troubleshooting Tips (topic at the Comcast Help Forums)

What I suggest is that you post your problem in the Comcast Help Forum. 

Click the link below. The forum landing page will open. Click Sign In. Log in with your Comcast user ID (the part before .net) and your password. You will next see a first time forum users page, asking you to choose a screen name for use in the Forums. Once you set that up, you'll be taken back to the landing page. PLEASE DO NOT USE YOUR COMCAST EMAIL NAME FOR YOUR FORUM USER NAME.

http://forums.comcast.com/

Then choose the appropriate board to post in. In your case you would post in Internet/Home Networking / Router / And WiFi Gateway Help

It would be helpful if you post your signal levels as requested Information Requested for Connection-Related Posts

The Comcast forum has connection experts who can help you determine what the issue might be.

One thing to be aware of: By default you will be notified via email every time someone replies to a topic you have started or replied in. If you do not wish to receive the notifications you can disable them by clicking My Settings/Subscriptions & Bookmarks tab. Uncheck the box next to Automatically subscribe me to topics I participate in. Scroll down and click Save

DO NOT USE THE UNSUBSCRIBE LINK IN THE REPLY NOTIFICATION EMAIL. Due to a quirk with Lithium, the forum provider, if you use the link it severs the connection between your forum user name and the email address you sign in with.

Result: your forum account no longer exists in the database and it tells you that you are banned.

(Once you get to the forum, save the page to your favorites/bookmarks. If you want to get to it from the Comcast home page, you have to jump through hoops to reach it)

If you have any questions about the Comcast forum, you can ask me here at Bleeping Computer or there, where my user name is the same as the one here.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 07 February 2016 - 09:38 PM.

#3 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 01:39 AM

One possibility is to get your own cable modem and router, or all in one and not use the Comcast gear at all. 

I live in the boonies so I'm stuck with Windstream DSL.  I'm currently using their all in one modem router and my wife and daughter have issues with wifi dropping on their laptops.

I used to have a netgear router set up back when I had the older Windstream modem/router and no one had any issues.  I guess I'm going to have to get the netgear router out again and set it all back up.

I'm convinced the company supplied modem/routers from the ISP's are the problem.

Since you are asking about wifi cards for your new build, I take it that it's going to be in a spot you can't run cat5 to it?

Edited by Ram4x4, 08 February 2016 - 01:39 AM.

#4 bkweibley

bkweibley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:19 AM

One possibility is to get your own cable modem and router, or all in one and not use the Comcast gear at all. 

I live in the boonies so I'm stuck with Windstream DSL.  I'm currently using their all in one modem router and my wife and daughter have issues with wifi dropping on their laptops.

I used to have a netgear router set up back when I had the older Windstream modem/router and no one had any issues.  I guess I'm going to have to get the netgear router out again and set it all back up.

I'm convinced the company supplied modem/routers from the ISP's are the problem.

Since you are asking about wifi cards for your new build, I take it that it's going to be in a spot you can't run cat5 to it?

Thats why I brought this up now also.  Ive just been dealing with the drops, but since im building this new computer I wanted to knock this out also while I was at it.  I could run cat5, im assuming wired is always the faster stronger more trusted way to go?

#5 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 08:27 AM

Yes, cat5 would have less issues.  I always use cat5 when possible or practical.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users