Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kaspersky Internet Security 2016 - 3 users 18 months

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lilbonkers290

lilbonkers290

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:55 PM

Hi! :)

I am considering buying Kaspersky Internet Security in store; is this Kaspersky software version worth the buy?

I am using AVG Free as of right now, and a Kaspersky Anti Virus Trial!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Smsec

Smsec

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 07 February 2016 - 07:49 PM

Kaspersky is consistently ranked near the top by anti-virus testing labs. Here's a comparison chart from AV comparatves web site: http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php?chart=chart2&year=2015&month=12&sort=1&zoom=2.

Pc magazine has a review of it as well. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2460689,00.asp

Performance is important but Another consideration is the usability of the software. Are you comfortable with the user interface? Is it easy to find out if your anti-virus definitions are up to date, configure scheduled scans, etc.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:42 PM

I'm not an advocate of suites. All-in-one tools and suites are filled with extra features (including "bells & whistles") which typically use more system resources than separate programs that do the same task while other suites leave a much smaller footprint. Suites tend to have varying degrees of strengths and weaknesses accorded for each feature they incorporate. Internet Security Suites include a Firewall component, which IMO is unnecessary since the Windows built-in firewall is one of the best and provides adequate protection. Further, many folks also use a router which is essentially a hardware firewall.

In contrast, separate tools are designed, built and maintained with a greater focus in a specific area so they are generally of better quality and more effective at what they are designed to do. This means the program's performance for that particular feature is usually superior than their all-in-one counterpart. Further, all-in-one tools generally do not allow the user as much flexibility in tailoring program settings and usage.If you are adamant about using a suite, then I would recommend one of the following:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 437 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 03:40 PM

I am using AVG Free as of right now, and a Kaspersky Anti Virus Trial!

Hopefully you are not running both anti virus programs on that computer at the same time.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#5 TazzyOpz

TazzyOpz

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:54 PM

Yes, as stated above you should only run 1 Anti-virus per machine. Running 2 at the same time can cause Conflict between them. And create more issues.

Software Developer & Malware Analyst
Programming Langues: VB.net, C#, Java, & HTML.
Reverse Engineering/Tracking Tool familiarity: Ollydbg, IDA, CE, & Wireshark
My Website

#6 lilbonkers290

lilbonkers290
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 10:22 PM

:oopsign:  I have taken said advice and uninstalled AVG Free for the time being;

#7 ShunYuki

ShunYuki

• Banned
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 08 February 2016 - 10:28 PM

:oopsign:  I have taken said advice and uninstalled AVG Free for the time being;

You should uninstall AVG Free because right now AVG will sell your privacy data to 3rd party if you are using their free version. As for Kaspersky, it definitely a good suite and I'm currently using it alongside with MBAM premium. 

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,602 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:33 AM

lilbonkers290 said he has uninstalled AVG.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users