Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking to build a high performance and gaming PC

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gmsgms

gmsgms

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:15 PM

Hello. Looking to build a high performance and gaming PC. I am looking to start from the CPU i7-6700K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.20 GHz). What will be a dream configuration starting with that CPU? (motherboard, power supply, video card, sound card, cooler, ect (maybe the most silent one we can find but to do a great job on the system)). And maybe a tested configuration in order to be sure that all the components will fit and will be compatible. I will choose a 4k monitor. I am looking for a system that won't need upgrades for few years. Budget is flexible, over 3k USD, but let's check a configuration for a dream PC with no limited budget smile.gif  Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you

Edited by hamluis, 09 February 2016 - 01:06 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to System Building - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:23 PM

Actually I would be more worried about the GPU then the CPU, sure skylake processors are new and shiny but latest doesnt always mean greatest.

Heck even if you got a haswell refresh processor you would still have the same capabilityin the long run.

The GPU of all the components is going to be the part I would worry about, not exactly the processor.

You would not exactly bottleneck if you got a last gen core i5 or something, as you will need some money for the games now would you, not to mention the OS.

Its a common misconception that only the most expensive parts will give you the best machine and the more latest parts you get the more longevity you will get.

Even if you got something that ran on last gen specs you would be okay for some time, ddr3 isnt going anywhere for example and in some benchmarks DDR4 really isnt that much better.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 gmsgms

gmsgms
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:36 PM

Hi. Thank you for your attention. I choose i7-6700K because is the only one that supports 64GB. I know that we do not need 64GB at the moment but I might use the PC for other things than games too and I will probably need several virtual machines and in that case I will need a lot or RAM so 64GB is not such far away. Of course GPU is very important but I hope we can find the best GPU that will fit with this CPU. Please feel free to list what will be the best configuration at the moment in your opinion. Even if contains the most expensive or the latest components or not. I will appreciate your opinion and everybody else opinions. Thanks 

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,076 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:52 PM

64GB of ram is way overkill even for a virtual machine setup.

Unless you plan on running a virtual machine inside of a virtual machine inside of a virtual machine inside of a virtual machine inside of a virtual machine inside of a virtual machine in some sort of virtual machine version of Inception it wont be nessasary.

If this were a server, then the extra ram would help but even if you were gaming inside of a virtual machine it would be fine if you went under 64GB of ram.

Plus memory requirements really are not in high demand as much in gaming, even if you ran the crap PC port of Arkham Knight while running the latest tomb raider, while doing some GTAV and world of warcraft on the side it still would run okay if you had less then 64GB of ram.

I know you want a future proof system, but on the same token it will be just as obsolete as mine will be in the next 5 years.

I got a haswell refresh core i5 4460 and its already a beast of a machine without a dedicated GPU, I could probably be just as equipped as you would be with the proper GPU installed.

Even if this was a media production machine i would say its overkill, and overcompensating for a problem that will happen to both of us within a years time apart from eachother.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 gmsgms

gmsgms
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 07:19 PM

What you think to start with i7-5820K ?

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,076 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 07:44 PM

Well it is a good processor I will give you that.

If you want that processor hey I am not stopping you I am just making sure that you dont blow money on parts where that money could go elsewhere, like paying bills or getting food.

Tell you what, I would start off with a build that would have around 16 gigs of ram and see how well that performs and if you need to you can up it.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 gmsgms

gmsgms
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 07:53 PM

That will be fantastic. I have the same thread opened at TomsHardware, so if you want you can have a look there too . ...  http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2965218/build-high-performance-gaming.html#17463126

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,076 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 07:58 PM

Yeah you would fly, heck I would agree with the person who replied to you that honestly the new skylakes are not as powerful as intel would lead you to believe.

Its haswell - E but will sing like a bird.

Edited by MadmanRB, 07 February 2016 - 08:01 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#9 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 08:18 AM

Pcpartpicker.com
Take a look at other gaming pcs and see if you can learn a thing or two.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#10 Hercules2905

Hercules2905

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 09 February 2016 - 02:20 AM