Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old nVidia GeForce4 MX4000 wierd "problem"

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 antoniu200

antoniu200

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 07 February 2016 - 05:37 PM

A couple of days ago, I brought my old computer back in the house. I started it and, to my surprize, it worked perfectly, thinking that it wasn't used and kept in humidity for 3 years. It had a bunch of crap-ware on it and even what was good, was a really old version of that software, it had really bad partitioning, so I simply reinstalled Windows. After I installed all the drivers and installed the 2 games that I love: Need for Speed Most Wanted and Need for Speed Porsche 2000 - I saw really bad FPS in Porsche, which went away after some time, and, to my surprise, it didn't support OverBright and Visual Treatment in MW. These settings were available before the reinstall of the OS, so I don't get it. Even more, the drivers installed before the reinstall were 2 years older than the one I installed. I tried going back to those drivers, nothing. The DriectX version is as up-to-date as possible. GPU: GeForce4 MX 4000, CPU: AMD Sempron 1700+, RAM: 512 MB, OS: (you may have guessed already) Windows XP SP3.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 07 February 2016 - 05:47 PM

I am assuming this is your driver. 

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/5/en-us

Do you have a make and model of the computer? Run CPUz and under the mainboard tab what is listed for the Chipset and Southbridge.

#3 antoniu200

antoniu200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:07 PM

Yes, that's my driver. The computer has a make model, but it's 19 years old, so who does even remember the model anymore? Anyway, it is modified so the make model wouldn't help. When I get to power it on, as it's kinda late right now,I'll tell you what CPUz reports about what you asked.

Edited by antoniu200, 07 February 2016 - 06:13 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:17 PM

When you get the chipset, if Nvidia Nforce, check out their site for Nforce drivers. I am not sure it will help but it's the only thing I can think of for a possible slow down in graphics. 

Edit: If nforce, look in Device Manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. If these are Microsoft then updated to nforce may help.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 February 2016 - 06:19 PM.

#5 antoniu200

antoniu200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:19 PM

As far as I know, it is nForce. I don't know the exact tipe, but I'll try doing that.

Edit: I don't have any drivers from Microsoft. I used Driver Booster for them.

Edited by antoniu200, 07 February 2016 - 06:21 PM.

#6 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 08:22 AM

As far as I know, it is nForce. I don't know the exact tipe, but I'll try doing that.
Edit: I don't have any drivers from Microsoft. I used Driver Booster for them.

That's your problem. Driver boosters are dubious programs that often cause more problems. Uninstall driver booster and install real drivers from the manufacturer.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#7 antoniu200

antoniu200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 12:32 PM

They are good. Just let me use them. I only need to know what driver caused the problem. Driver Booster is good enough and helped a lot of computers I know. It fails sometimes, it's true, but the fail can be fixed.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 12:40 PM

Try doing a clean boot using msconfig but keep your nvidia drivers checked. See if there is an improvement. Then you can check each service item until there is a slowdown.

http://www.tweaking.com/articles/pages/performing_a_proper_windows_clean_boot_on_xpvista78,1.html

#9 antoniu200

antoniu200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 03:04 PM

When you get the chipset, if Nvidia Nforce, check out their site for Nforce drivers. I am not sure it will help but it's the only thing I can think of for a possible slow down in graphics. 

Well, I was wrong. The Chipset is VIA KT 880 and the Southbridge is VIA VT 8237.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 05:25 PM

Go here, use the dropdown boxes and under driver type select Hyperion Pro 4in1 chipset drivers v 5.24a  this is for the KT880. The KT880 chipset controls the AGP.

For the VIA VT 8237 select IDE,SATA,RAID for driver type. Select VT 8237 from the list. Only install this driver if the the KT880 does not solve the problem. 

#11 antoniu200

antoniu200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:57 AM

Installing KT880 fixes nothing and I can't install VT 8237 because I get this error 1607: Unable to install InstallShield Scripting Runtime.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:40 AM

Sorry, I am pretty much out of ideas other than trying a different graphics card. Hopefully somebody else on the forum can suggest something. I just don't understand how a clean install would make the computer slower.

Did you run a dxdiag

#13 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 10:30 AM

Please read: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/573426/pros-and-cons-of-driver-booster-2/

A clean install may have stressed the hdd. A failing hard drive is slower as it reads data multiple times to make sure the data is correct.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#14 antoniu200

antoniu200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 10:48 AM

Sorry, I am pretty much out of ideas other than trying a different graphics card. Hopefully somebody else on the forum can suggest something. I just don't understand how a clean install would make the computer slower.

Did you run a dxdiag

Yes, I did run dxdiag. It was the first thing I tried and the tests from more help tab were successful.

#15 antoniu200

antoniu200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 10:56 AM

Please read: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/573426/pros-and-cons-of-driver-booster-2/

A clean install may have stressed the hdd. A failing hard drive is slower as it reads data multiple times to make sure the data is correct.

Driver Booster from IOBit detects the drivers. If I installed an up to date driver, it won't prompt me to install a false one. Driver Booster is free, as long as you don't want faster download speed. As well as Advanced SystemCare. ASC boosted my Toshiba A200-1MB's boot speed, the HDD had problems because it was forced to stop A WHOLE LOT of times. It may be Driver Booster or ASC, as I said earlier, they might fail, but, if the HDD is failing, I don't have a replace one and neither I hear wierd sounds from it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users