Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Windows alongside Linux?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 auto1571

auto1571

• Members
  • 296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 07 February 2016 - 04:55 PM

Hi. I currently have a Desktop running Linux Mint and would like to install Windows 10 along side it. How would I go about doing this? Thanks. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raymac46

raymac46

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:03 PM

There are 3 options, from easiest to hardest:

• Install VirtualBox and run Windows 10 in a virtual machine.
  • Back up your data, install Windows 10 and then reinstall Linux Mint in its own partition.
  • Partition your hard disk and install Windows 10 alongside Mint. Make sure you have a BIOS that supports the legacy Master Boot Record. Windows will overwrite your Master Boot Record so Linux Mint won't boot. You'll need either a USB or CD copy of Boot repair to get GRUB back and then you'll have to configure it to run Windows 10.

I'd choose option 1 I think if you have enough memory.

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 10:45 AM

Make sure you disable  fast boot or fast start up in your BIOS.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 06:55 PM

Some questions to help people assist you:

1. Is your system firmware UEFI or BIOS?

Not sure? In your terminal type:

dmesg | grep "EFI"
Post the results.

2. Where will you be installing Windows 10? It would be helpful if you share your partition and drive information.

To do so, in your terminal type:
sudo parted -l
Post the results.

3. Do you want both Windows 10 and Linux Mint listed in your Grub boot menu? If unsure, the answer is probably yes.

#5 auto1571

auto1571
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 296 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 03:20 PM

Hi, thanks for all of your help here. I may try Linux Mint alongside Win 10 I think and try other options in the future with other systems.

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 05:08 AM

There are 3 options, from easiest to hardest:

• Install VirtualBox and run Windows 10 in a virtual machine.
  • Back up your data, install Windows 10 and then reinstall Linux Mint in its own partition.
  • Partition your hard disk and install Windows 10 alongside Mint. Make sure you have a BIOS that supports the legacy Master Boot Record. Windows will overwrite your Master Boot Record so Linux Mint won't boot. You'll need either a USB or CD copy of Boot repair to get GRUB back and then you'll have to configure it to run Windows 10.

I'd choose option 1 I think if you have enough memory.

Option 1 is the one that I have, and don't have to be concerned about Windows 10 'taking over' my computer. :thumbup2:

With the no cost for home/student usage VMware Workstation Player, have 4 CPU cores & 8GB RAM assigned to the VM. The VMware option is a bit trickier than the VirtualBox solution to install, yet there's a lot of time & trouble saved by not having to create rules for devices. Want to connect a new device attached while Windows 10 is running in the VM, no problem, attach it. In the case of some hardware, drivers may need to be installed, yet that's no different from a real install. The VM is also still activated when one upgrades to a newer Linux version, such as when Mint 18 ships. 

It's just that the VM software will need reinstalling. 

https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/free#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_workstation_player/12_0

If you wish, you can refer to my previous Topic on how to install, beginning at Post #6. Note to make sure that the download of the software needs to remain in that folder. Under Properties, click the Permissions tab & place a check in the box that says 'Allow executing file as a program' 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/561805/need-help-with-installing-latest-vmware-player-on-linux-mint-171/

Or you can simply begin like this, using the Terminal (make sure that the permissions tab has been checked). 

cd Downloads

Press Enter.

And paste the below in:

sudo ./VMware-Player-12.1.0-3272444.x86_64.bundle

After you enter your sudo password, the graphical install process should begin. Since this is a free offering, you can skip entering a key, this is for paid subscribers to unlock other features. 

You may be required to reboot to finish install & will be notified if this is the case. 

Whatever you decide on, Good Luck! :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 14 February 2016 - 05:15 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 auto1571

auto1571
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 02:01 PM

Again thanks everyone. What I meant to say before however was that one of my challenges is to try and get apple mac, Linux and Windows all onto one box.

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 06:35 PM

You can only install the Mac OS on Apple hardware, including running the Mac OS as a virtual machine -- there are hacks available to get around this but I don't recommend them, because then your Mac OS is essentially pirated software.

The only legal and feasible way to do this is to install something like VirtualBox, VMware Fusion or Parallels on a Mac, and then install Linux and Windows 10 as VMs on the Mac.

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:35 AM

Again thanks everyone. What I meant to say before however was that one of my challenges is to try and get apple mac, Linux and Windows all onto one box.

My colleague addressed that situation above & we cannot assist with installing an Apple OS on a non-Apple computer, we have rules regarding this, hope that you understand. 

Also, you didn't include that in your OP, we'd have advised you of this a week ago if you had. Only Windows 10 was mentioned. 

Good Luck in getting an Apple PC that'll meet your needs. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#10 auto1571

auto1571
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 296 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 03:43 PM

Yeah, I forgot about apples hardware being propriety  lol. :blush: What I have noticed however is that Apple allows you to install Windows alongside them via Apples boot-camp and that Microsoft is fine with this.

Edited by auto1571, 16 February 2016 - 03:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users