Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

My early work life just does not exist anymore.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 07 February 2016 - 03:24 PM

For some reason this morning I started to do web searches on the companies I started out working for.

Apparently most of them do not even exist anymore.  Soon I may never have existed.

Multinational companies involved with the oil field and its related companies.

Offshore Logistics Amelia La. 2nd largest boat company in the world. Tidewater Marine #1 just a shadow of it self.

McDermont built most of the offshore platforms in the gulf of mexico

Global Industies and many more.  Rather sobering that in  few years there will be no trace of me at all.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Smsec

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 07 February 2016 - 03:27 PM

If they ever had a website, you may be able to find traces of them on the Wayback Machine Internet archive: https://archive.org/web/

#3 mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,639 posts
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 07 February 2016 - 10:28 PM

I've also experienced the same thing and narrowly escaped with a pension.  Part of a large corporation, a division of this department under that enterprise, we got passed around depending on out profit performance, to offset or augment other departments divisions.  After 40 years, upper management saw a cost cutting way to increase his margins by pushing out older, higher paid, more experienced employees with others who could barely speak English and much lower pay.  I got my bags and left before the plug got pulled and the operation disappeared.  I'm still collecting severance pay.  I have searched an found no reference to our operation, even though it existed for 40 years.   The main corporation still exists and does a large part and increasing investment into the software end and not computer service unless its a mainframe under a huge contract.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users