Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Reliable Desktop - brands to buy/avoid

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 vilontano

vilontano

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:06 PM

I am replacing a gateway "gaming laptop" whose GPU died of the HEAT the thing generated...
(evidently a KNOWN issue unknown to me - no wonder it was about half the price of similar)...

It was heavy and hot so basically ended up sitting in one place with fans blowing on it...and I hated gateways customer service - so I wouldn't go back to them

I would like a mid-level gaming (ex: heavily modded Skyrim) DESKTOP to replace it...I will be using my HD Samsung TV as the monitor (which I used for the gateway via HDMI)..
I also will use it for internet, netflicks streaming, picture editing/ printing - basic computer things

What has my head spinning is all the Mixed reviews - are there any pre-built companies that have reliable products and decent customer service ? (I wont be building one of my own).

under 1,000 USD

any help appreciated

Edited by vilontano, 07 February 2016 - 01:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:32 PM

Hello, and Welcome to BC

I would look at building your own but  companies that will build using components selected by you are

http://www.ibuypower.com/

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

I have no experience with the above companies. Others on the Forum may have other ideas.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 07 February 2016 - 03:29 PM

Well...my approach has always been to determine what I want to do on a system...and then start researching.

Basic concepts I have:

a.  Laptops are built to be portable "desktop systems", meaning that the chief selling/buying point...is portability.  Ditto for netbooks, ditto for tablets.  In exchange for this portability, there are offsets which must be considered.  If a desktop can overheat...and it has much more space and better air circulation than any laptop...then overheating has to be considered one of the foremost expectations for anyone purchasing a laptop.

b.  When a user builds her/his own system...he/she can select, improve, offset...many of the factors that prove cumbersome when considering a laptop.  These factors include the ability easily update individual components and the ability to easily replace a component that has outlived its natural usage life in a system.

c.  Gamers rule the computer component world.  There's gold in them there hills...and component/system makers realize it.  Within a system...greater speed in producing effects/production...result in increased heat.  This can be easily seen in the fact that the newest processors often call for better heatsinks/fans/thermal grease on the part of the user, particularly when engaging/being employed with the newest games.  I'm not a gamer but I understand now that discrete graphics cards (as opposed to onboard graphics) are pretty much now a necessity for serious gamers.  If you are a serious gamer...it would seem unlikely to me that you would ever consider a "gaming laptop", despite the fact that manufacturers freely trumpet/hype such.

d.  If it's MY system...I don't want anyone to tell me what THEY suggest that I buy.  There's enough valid material out there that I ought to be able to determine what type of system (desktop vs laptop vs tablet) should best fit my needs, whether short-term or long-term.  Take all "opinions/suggestions" by any SELLER...with a large grain of salt because...it's always been hard for those who stand to gain...to recommend anything in an impartial/honest manner.  There are lots of users who will more readily provide the type of info that you need...to make a purchase that you find satisfying in the future.

Louis

Note:  I don't usually post in this forum because I know so little about the subject matter...so my thinking may be way off.  Other members here are probably likely to give you some of the information which you seek.

Edited by hamluis, 07 February 2016 - 03:33 PM.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,347 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:41 PM

How about you build your own?

Its actually not as hard as it sounds, you choose the parts and you wont be arguing with your OEM :D

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#5 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 07 February 2016 - 11:17 PM

Agreed with those who have suggested building above :) If you must go for a prebuilt, I would avoid HP and Dell (and therefore Alienware as well since they are owned by Dell) due to the extreme level of bloatware I find preloaded on those systems. if you don't mind taking a half hour to remove powerDVD, wildtangent and whatever else they stuffed into the poor machine you are probably ok with any brand, but I personally believe you shouldn't have to optimize a brand new PC.

Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#6 vilontano

vilontano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 07:17 PM

Thanks for the replies - I wont build one because I really need tech support in the event something goes on the blink. I have found in the past that although I've solved some issues by going to forums for others I was Very Happy to a have a tech bckup...
In my neck of the woods that's bestbuy (which is my plan currently) or ordering from Dell
(which I'm hesitant to do since it seems their products and tech support have gone down hill)

I was considering having one built by places like Digital Storm - but the cost of mailing something back and forth to CA seems significant (120 round trip).

That's why I'm trying to figure out the least glitchy prebuilt - but reviews are all over the place
even Asus with it's good reviews, A+ BBB rating apparently bricked a bunch of desktops with a corrupted bios download and sucked for many people dealing with THAT issue alone - but those who had the warranty at best buy got things sorted out pretty quickly.

so open to any suggestions - personal experience
I'm pretty sure I want:
intel i7
16 gb min of DDR4

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

Edited by vilontano, 09 February 2016 - 07:20 PM.

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,347 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:17 PM

Well your tech support could be right here in any case, we can diagnose something, only thing you need is another computer, tablet or smartphone so we can help

Edited by MadmanRB, 09 February 2016 - 08:18 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#8 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:56 PM

Agreed with those who have suggested building above :) If you must go for a prebuilt, I would avoid HP and Dell (and therefore Alienware as well since they are owned by Dell) due to the extreme level of bloatware I find preloaded on those systems. if you don't mind taking a half hour to remove powerDVD, wildtangent and whatever else they stuffed into the poor machine you are probably ok with any brand, but I personally believe you shouldn't have to optimize a brand new PC.

Hps I agree with. Dells I have to disagree. Compared to the amount of bloatware installed on a Toshiba it is pretty good. And, reinstalling Windows can remove said bloatware.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#9 vilontano

vilontano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 02:18 PM

thanks for all the feedback.

if anyone else has any prebuilt gaming desktop experience would love to hear from you

Edited by vilontano, 10 February 2016 - 02:18 PM.

#10 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 01:12 PM

for me fujitsu and dell are the most reliable brands

#11 vilontano

vilontano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 04:50 PM

have you a fujitsu gaming desktop? if so - would you mind saying which one....or if you know of one people were happy with....

#12 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 01:48 PM

hi dear friend vilontano,

yes, i am a fujitsu fan 

my fujitsu esprimo p5720 is not anything special 

it is rock solid desktop and it is very easy to be opened and to be upgraded

the esprimo p5720 is a business machine and unfortunately you cannot install a super vga card

the power supply is also weak, only 260 watts

the cpu is the intel e 7200 core2 duo @ 2.53 and it is really very fast on everything or better saying on nearly everything

i can play old strategy and simulation games with the onboard graphics at low resolution 800 x 600, although you can install a geforce 7xxx gs series

you can find through amazon or ebay many fujitsu desktop but your best bet is to buy a fujitsu celsius series w workstation for as low as 100 to 175 euros at a very good or pristine condition

unfortunately recent fujitsu desktops are expensive to be bought, even a fujitsu celeron will cost you something more than 400 euros and it is not a gamer pc

you can buy a used fujitsu celsius workstation as i have mentioned above and you can install a used geforce gs series card or any recent geforce gt card for a decent performance on new games

if your planning to build a custom pc then your options are endless but remember that you do not need a 1000 euros game pc to play games !

you can play games at decent performance even with a pc that cost lets say 350 to 500 euros

you don't need the fastest video card to play new games

even with an 85 euros video card can do the job unless you need to play games at super high resolutions and super high frames

Edited by nickko, 16 February 2016 - 12:59 AM.

#13 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 04:24 PM

hi dear friend vilontano,

yes, i am a fujitsu fan 

my fujitsu esprimo p5720 is not anything special and was given to me as a christam present by y older cousin

it is rock solid desktop and it is very easy to be opened and to be upgraded

the esprimo p5720 is a business machine and unfortunately you cannot install a super vga card

the power supply is also weak, only 260 watts

the cpu is the intel e 7200 core2 duo @ 2.53 and it is really very fast on everything or better saying on nearly everything

i can play old strategy and simulation games with the onboard graphics at low resolution 800 x 600, although you can install a geforce 7xxx gs series

you can find through amazon or ebay many fujitsu desktop but your best bet is to buy a fujitsu celsius series w workstation for as low as 100 to 175 euros at a very good or pristine condition

unfortunately recent fujitsu desktops are expensive to be bought, even a fujitsu celeron will cost you something more than 400 euros and it is not a gamer pc

you can buy a used fujitsu celsius workstation as i have mentioned above and you can install a used geforce gs series card or any recent geforce gt card for a decent performance on new games

if your planning to build a custom pc then your options are endless but remember that you do not need a 1000 euros game pc to play games !

you can play games at decent performance even with a pc that cost lets say 350 to 500 euros

you don't need the fastest video card to play new games

i am working with video rendering, audio recordings and edits, 3d bryce and my main pc is just a little celeron ! *check my personal profile)

a friend of mine have just bought lately an old geforce gtx 9800 for only 40 euros (pristine condition) and he is really very pleased even with the most recent games

even with an 85 euros video card can do the job unless you ned to play games at super high resolutions and blistering high frames

I would not recommend this desktop for gaming. Get a desktop that is upgradeable, reliable, and modern.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#14 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 04:28 PM

I second that, capt. New, middle of the road hardware will surpass older hardware at the same price point.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#15 vilontano

vilontano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:45 PM

thanks for all the info
appreciated

0 user(s) are reading this topic