Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What needs to be upgraded first? (gaming platform)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tgm0112

tgm0112

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:16 PM

Hello and thank you in advance for any help you can give me. I bought a pre-built iBuyPower machine a few years back and was very happy with its performance for a time. It was never an amazing beast, but any failings could be mitigated by turning down graphics settings.

Fast forward to the present. I'm seeing substantial loading times as well as common frame-rate dips on most modern titles, even at low-medium settings. I want to take advantage of the modular nature of PC rigs over consoles to start upping my performance capacity (as well as take some pride in building/maintaining my own device). I would like a game to default to High/Max settings for once.

The problem is, this is still my first PC. Period. I'm willing to buy new parts and have no fear installing them, but I don't exactly know where my bottleneck lies. I don't want to buy a new graphics card, for instance, only to find no improvement in performance. I can share my PC's info with you all in hopes that something stands out, but I don't even know what could be to blame.

Please tell me what I need to improve as well as what relevant information to share for better help.

Basic specs are as follows...

Processor: AMD FX-4100 Quad-Core, 3.60 GHz

RAM: 8.00 GB

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:16 PM

Hello, and  :welcome:  to Bleeping Computer! Unfortunately "Radeon R9 200 Series" is a very broad category of graphics card. Would you mind downloading and running Speccy to gather some more information about your system for us?

Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 tgm0112

tgm0112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:44 PM

Done and done! The results on the summary page are listed below.

Operating System Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU AMD FX-4100 37 °C Zambezi 32nm Technology

RAM 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. M68MT-S2 (Socket M2) 36 °C

Graphics 2269W (1920x1080@60Hz) 2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (Gigabyte) 32 °C

Storage 465GB Seagate ST500DM0 02-1BD142 SCSI Disk Device (SATA) 33 °C

Optical Drives ATAPI iHAS124 B SCSI CdRom Device

Audio Realtek High Definition Audio

Edited by tgm0112, 07 February 2016 - 01:46 PM.

#4 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:57 PM

I'm sorry, I should have been clearer. I need you to publish the speccy snapshot and post the link in a reply. here is the guide on how to do that. Also, do you know the wattage of your PSU? Sometimes vendors put PSUs that can barely handle the components that they put in, which can limit your upgrade potential. Whatever we decide to upgrade, your PSU needs to be able to handle it. If you don't know the wattage, that's OK, just let me know :)

#5 tgm0112

tgm0112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 02:47 PM

Here we go: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/qn12ZX2yuwbTzUycORIMZJX

And no clue on the wattage.

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:54 PM

I would open your PC and check.

In any case the GPU is where I would go to upgrade as its the most upgradeable part of your build.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 11:44 AM

Please download and run GPU-z so we can see if we can find out any more info about that GPU. I need a screenshot of the first tab.

#8 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 12 February 2016 - 03:37 AM

Don't know your budget but You need A new Cpu an ssd and GPU with minimum 4gb VRAM

CPU FX 6350---- find out from manufacturer if your board can take an FX 83XX cpu, if it can get the best one you can afford if not FX  8320/E

SSD 128gb to 256 gb  eg Samsung evo or pro

GPU R9 380/X 4gb 

Decent 500-550 watt PSU 

#9 tgm0112

tgm0112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:19 AM

Please download and run GPU-z so we can see if we can find out any more info about that GPU. I need a screenshot of the first tab.

Done!

http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/16/02/13/w4n.png

diggi: At that point, am I not simply buying a whole new system? I find it hard to believe that they are all EQUALLY holding me back.

#10 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 01:48 PM

Ok, you appear to have an AMD R9 270X. I would say that this is a decent low-mid end card. I would worry more about the CPU and RAM - I would suggest upgrading to at least a FX-8350 and 8GB of DDR3-1600 (you appear to have DDR3-669). If you have the budget for it an SSD would decrease boot tomes, but I don't think it's a necessity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users