Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mystery of the deleted files

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 JJlyon

JJlyon

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:42 AM

So, I've posted about this on a few forums without any clear explanation for the issue that occurred. I'll start at the beginning, a few days ago I was downloading a movie, via Utorrent as I have done so many times before. As I do with all my films, I saved them in the directory downloads / Tv shows and films / films / movie title. As I expected, the torrent downloaded fine without any issues and I was about to get ready to watch the film when I noticed something odd. The folder containing TV shows had completely disappeared. Additionally, I then checked the films folder, to notice all but 4 films (Including the one being downloaded) had also disappeared. When I say disappeared, it's as though these files were never on my system. I only have to look at my partitioned drive to see that addition 150GB of free space. 

That past few days I've spent researching, running malware scans (found nothing), losing the files doesn't bother me, at most, its an inconvenience. What's concerning me is how this could have happened, as mentioned above, I have ran multiple scans and found no evidence that the torrent could have been infected. I've looked on a google for several hours and found very few cases of something like this happening. If anyone could shed any light on this situation or has experienced anything like it before, your assistance would great. 

Coincidentally, about 2 hours before this happened, I thought to myself I should really purchase I portable hard drive to back up my downloads folder and even went on amazon to do a price check! I think the big upstairs is telling me to stop torrenting! 

Seriously thought, thanks for any help you guys can give, if you need any more information I'll try and give as much as I can.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users