Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My HDD has "disappeared" or is unrecognizable

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 harriF

harriF

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 07 February 2016 - 02:47 AM

Sincere apologies if this is the wrong place to post this, or if I'm doing something wrong; I'm just copying what's below from another place I asked for help from.

bit of an odd story

So this happened about 2 years ago. I had a Seagate Desktop HDD ST1000DM003 1TB, and for some reason a part of me decided it was a good idea to use Paragon's Partition Manager for some reason, I think it was trying to make it so that any future files would download onto the HDD rather than my SSD(?).

That didn't go out so well.

I don't recall what happened after that, but the HDD no longer appeared in Windows Explorer and does not seem to be present at all. So I've been stuck on a 120 GB Kingston SSD for about 2 years now. Yeah, amazing. The details are-

-When I click on "This PC" I only see a Windows C: icon and my iCloud photos icon. 

-When I go to "Devices and Drivers", I can see my HDD on the list of devices, it even says it's working perfectly fine with no errors. 

-Device Manager only says that ASUS DRW-24F1ST is broken (my disk drive, with the error Code 19), nothing about my HDD.

-I'm currently using KINGSTON SV300S37A120G as my Windows C: storage.

In short, my 1 TB Hard drive went missing after using a partition program. Still see it on my Device Manager list, it's just not showing up on the Windows Directory, and it claims to be perfectly fine and working. 

Here are some images of what I mean-

Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 08:26 AM

Hello harriF and :welcome:

Please study the risks vs rewards of using the following to see if you would be technically up to dealing with your $50USD HDD's partition table maintenance:

1.) Payware ($9USD): Parted Magic  pmagic_2016_01_06.iso 

2.) Freeware: Parted Magic  pmagic_2013_08_01.iso 

3.) Freeware:  gparted-live-0.25.0-1-i686.iso

Thank you and HTH

Edited by 1PW, 07 February 2016 - 09:10 AM.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 07 February 2016 - 11:12 AM

I believe that you should go into your disc management in Windows 10 and click on your Seagate hard drive and use the installation wizard to add it as a new volume. That will assign your Seagate a drive letter and allow your computer to "see" it.

Also, in the future it is very easy for you to map where you want your pictures and videos and music and downloads to be stored. Just go into MY PC and at the very top you will see icons that are marked DOWNLOADS, PICTURES, etc. Just go into your Seagate hard drive and make corresponding folders marked DOWNLOADS, PICTURES, etc. Then go back into MY PC and click on each folder and scroll down to properties, then click on the tab that says location then click on change location and browse for the folder that you just created. Then click on make this my location and click on apply and then everything will automatically go that folder. Repeat the process for each of the folders listed in MY PC.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 harriF

harriF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:22 PM

I'm sorry, how would I do that again? I only see http://i.imgur.com/DHRomrB.png as previously mentioned.

#5 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:40 PM

have you tried using SeaTools? Does the HDD show up as a boot option in the BIOS?

Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#6 harriF

harriF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 02:26 PM

SeaTools did not detect my SeaGate HDD, neither did the BIOS priority options, although it did detect it in the Properties tab in the BIOS when you save and finalize.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users