Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC upgrade advice

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 greatchap

greatchap

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:55 AM

Hi Guys,

I have a PC which I use for watching movies and gaming. It has the following spects :

-Windows 7 Professional
-Intel i5-2500 @ 3.3GHZ
-Asus P8P67 Pro Motherboard
-Nvidia GTX 660 Graphics card
-6 GB RAM (DDR 3)
-1 TB HDD
-Coolermaster PSU (600 Watt)
-23" Dell Monitor (Dell U2312HM DVI)

Earlier I used to play a lot of PC games but now due to time issues, I play only selected ones. I don't know what games I am going to play this year but Far Cry Primal is on the cards.

I also use my pc for a bit of software development and have Visual Studio installed.

Even though my pc is running fine but I think it can do better. In today's time SSDs are not so expensive and do increase the speed significantly. However I do need my 1 TB HDD so do you think I cant use SSD or should I use SSD for C drive and HDD as other drive.

My GPU is not bad but upgrading to a better one is not going to be cheap.

Assume I can spend $500-$600 then what parts should I upgrade and how to mix & match and get the best performance.

Please advice as to what should I do. (I live outside the US, so price here are usually 20% higher).

Thank you,

Cheers,
Jack

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,065 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:28 AM

Mix and matching isn't a bad idea however there would be compatibility issues. The parts I would replace would be the mobo and the cpu, ram might need to change if you intend to go for a skylake build

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 greatchap

greatchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:38 AM

Is my GPU good enough. Then I will only upgrade CPU, Mobo and RAM.

Moreover do you think I should connect ssd and hdd both to system or use HDD only like I am doing right now.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,065 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:57 AM

The gpu is fine, upgrade the cpu and mobo then. Any ideas on what processor you want?

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 greatchap

greatchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 02:55 AM

I was suggested by some guys that the CPU is fine and can be overclocked. The MB is also okay. They told me to increase ram to 8 GB at least and get an SSD and probably a 900 series GPU (e.g. GTX 960/970).

Thus I am now confused.

#6 raymac46

raymac46

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:40 PM

I would look into an SSD. They can make a huge difference in performance. This means a Windows reinstall of course. You keep the big hard drive for photos and videos and only put your routine stuff like operating system and programs on the SSD. In my view you have an OK CPU and GPU unless you really want to game at high levels. I'm running an i5 2320 and GTX 650Ti Boost and I'm happy with them. Unless you are running virtual machines I'd leave the memory as is - or go all the way up to 16 GB. Then you are all set for virtualization.

#7 Smsec

Smsec

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 07 February 2016 - 11:35 PM

Tom's hardware has a SSD Best Picks list:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-recommendation-benchmark,3269.html

I recently upgraded my wife's computer with a Samsung 850 evo SSD. Made a huge difference in boot time and performance. It came with disk cloning software and I used it to clone the hard drive. All worked fine. The biggest pain was to reactive windows. I had to write down a long string of characters from pic and enter the on activation site. It generates another long string that has to be entered on the pc. Geez!

#8 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 08:27 AM

Unless the cpu is an i5 2500k rather than the 2500 which you put down you cannot overclock. However I think your biggest priorities should be an ssd and more ram.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users