Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

keyboard and mouse not working at windows login

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 novice3

novice3

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:01 PM

Dell Optiplex gx270

1GB RAM

Windows XP Professional

No Recovery Media available

I am able to access BIOS using the keyboard (Wireless logitech  USB).  At the Windows Login screen (requires username and password), the keyboard and mouse no longer function.  I am not able to type in a username or password.  CTRL+ALT+Del doesn't work. 

I tried different USB ports, pressing the power button to shutdown and placing the logitech USB receiver in a different port (USB) and pressing the power button and waiting 2 minutes at the Windows Login screen.  Keyboard and mouse do not work (not able to type in user name or password).

I reset the BIOS to factory default settings.  Didn't fix the keyboard or mouse issue.

I replaced the batteries in the keyboard and mouse.  It didn't fix the Windows Login issue (not able to input username or password).

Thank you for any support. 

Edited by novice3, 06 February 2016 - 09:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,412 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:27 AM

I'm not understanding...you access the BIOS, using the USB keyboard...and then you subsequently find that the keyboard no longer works?

Is this a USB mouse?

Have you tried booting into safe mode and uninstalling the keyboard and the mouse drivers?

Louis

#3 novice3

novice3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 05:39 PM

Yes, I am able to boot into BIOS, via the F2 key on the Logitech USB keyboard (wireless).

At Windows XP professional login screen, the keyboard is no longer functioning.

I will attempt to boot into safe mode and uninstall drivers for the mouse and keyboard, Monday. 

What do I uninstall and how?  Do I use device manager and uninstall all usb entries?

Thank you for any support

Edited by novice3, 07 February 2016 - 05:43 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,412 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:21 PM

I would do exactly as I stated...go into Device Manager and uninstall the drivers.  If no uninstall option is available for the drivers, uninstall each device.  You will probably have to do a hard reset/boot to restart Windows.

Louis

#5 novice3

novice3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:49 PM

I would do exactly as I stated...go into Device Manager and uninstall the drivers.  If no uninstall option is available for the drivers, uninstall each device.  You will probably have to do a hard reset/boot to restart Windows.

Louis

Thank you for the reply.  I will schedule a time with the computer owner to uninstall keyboard drivers in safe mode (that is if the USB keyboard works).  I am thinking a non-wireless keyboard might be a second option. 

What do you mean by hard reset/boot?

Edited by novice3, 07 February 2016 - 06:50 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,412 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 10:24 AM

Using the power switch on the system...to close Windows down, as opposed letting Windows close itself and terminate power to the system itself.

Theoretically...uninstalling the keyboard and mouse drivers at the same time...leave the user with no way of possibly communicating with the system.

Hard resets are not the recommended way of shutting down Windows...but can be done with minimal harm as long as such does not become routine procedure for the user.

Louis

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 08 February 2016 - 11:10 AM

You didn't mention it but did you check Logitech to see if Window XP drivers are available for the keyboard?

#8 novice3

novice3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 02:09 AM

Using the power switch on the system...to close Windows down, as opposed letting Windows close itself and terminate power to the system itself.

Theoretically...uninstalling the keyboard and mouse drivers at the same time...leave the user with no way of possibly communicating with the system.

Hard resets are not the recommended way of shutting down Windows...but can be done with minimal harm as long as such does not become routine procedure for the user.

Louis

I agree that hard resets, by pressing the power to shutdown, could lead to an unstable operating system. 

I have not been near the computer today, to attempt to uninstall drivers for the mouse/keyboard or attempt to use a keyboard that hooks up to the keyboard port on the back of the computer or try the Windows XP SP3 dvd that I created for the computer years ago (it is scratched,etc.). 

Thanks for pointing out, that removing both mouse and keyboard will leave the user with out a means to communicate with the system.  I will remove the mouse driver files in safe mode and then reboot the computer into safe mode (F8 key on keyboard).  Then install the drivers supplied on the Logitech website (that is after finding out the model of the keyboard).

Thank you for your support.

You didn't mention it but did you check Logitech to see if Window XP drivers are available for the keyboard?

I checked there support site, and realized it would be helpful to know the model.  I hope Thursday, she will message the service tag for the Dell desktop and the model for the keyboard/mouse.

Thank you for assisting me with this computer issue.

#9 novice3

novice3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:06 PM

I found two Windows XP Home SP2&SP3 Recovery CD (DVD-R) created by ARCDC from Artellos(dot)com.  Attached is a directory listing using Windows command prompt of the two DVD-Rs.

I am hoping someone might be able to review the contents and let me know if the Recovery CDs are able to restore just the mouse and keyboard drivers for the Dell Optiplex GX270, Windows XP Professional x32.

Thank you for any advice.

Attached Files

#10 novice3

novice3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 05:08 PM

I hope this topic could remain active.  I am hoping to schedule a day with the owner of the computer (Dell Optiplex GX270).

#11 novice3

novice3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:01 AM

I was able to login to Windows XP professional via a PS/2 keyboard and mouse.  That is one that plugs into the 6 pin port of the Dell Optiplex GX270.  After logging in, the Logitech wireless keyboard K800 was not recognized.  I was using a receiver for older keyboard.  I hope the OP (the owner of the Dell Optiplex GX270) lets me know if the keyboard works.

Logitech Wireless Keyboard

M/N: Y-R0011

P/N: 820-002795

This topic is solved. 

Edited by novice3, 22 February 2016 - 08:34 PM.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,412 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:23 AM

Feedback appreciated, glad you solved it.

Happy computing :).

Louis

#13 novice3

novice3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 01:32 PM

I was able to use a 6 pin PS/2 keyboard and mouse (wired.  not wireless).  

Thank you for the support. 

This topic has been resolved

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users