Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Samsung Notebook NP-N140 and Linux ?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 06 February 2016 - 06:49 PM

CPU Intel Atom N270, 1GB Ram, 32 bit

I teach basic computing as a volunteer and a new 'student' came to the group clutching this notebook which currently has Win 10 installed on it. Having spent the best part of the two hour session trying to get on-line with it I started suspecting the wifi unit and, with her permission, took it home to check it out.

It is in fact working, just incredibly slowly. It is after all, only barely meeting the Win 10 minimums. It is also damaged - it has been dropped at some stage - the screen bezel is held together with tape and there is some small visual damage to the screen. At the moment, all she wants is to learn how to e-mail but she is going to find even this a very frustrating experience.

So, is there a distro which will run on this hardware and give a reasonable user experience ?  Or am I better to follow my first thought which was to advise her to bin it and buy a tablet ? 

Chris Cosgrove

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:06 PM

Hi Chris.

Do not bin the laptop, it should easily run Linix Mint XFCE, It will also make a great Puppy Linux machine.

http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=213

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:25 PM

Yeah the Mint XFCE or Mate edition should run okay on this machine

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#4 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 08:50 PM

Asus Eee PC Netbook 1000HAB, [...] n270 CPU, 1gb RAM, 160gb HDD
-REF:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/602272/linux-install-fails-and-fails-netbook-was-running-xp-sp3-with-no-issues/#entry3909064

I downloaded and now am SUCCESSFULLY running LInux Mint 17.3 32 bit XFCE version..
runs like a dream!!
-REF:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/602272/linux-install-fails-and-fails-netbook-was-running-xp-sp3-with-no-issues/page-3#entry3914848

Just thought I'd mention there was request not long ago for similar hardware (quoted above), and the OP reported that Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE 32bit ran well.

I'd also suggest Lubuntu as an option.

#5 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 906 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:48 AM

Bit more info on Mint xfce ... http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_rosa_xfce.php

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,112 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:31 PM

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. Looking at the links from here and some on YouTube, Mint XFCE seems the best way to go, at least at first. I think my next step is to have a chat with her and see if I can sell her on the idea.

I do have one advantage. Since she is very new to computing I don't have to try and sell her on the idea of giving up MS Office or even - heaven forfend ! - Windows Media Player.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,235 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 07:13 PM

@Chris, I've also been running MintXfce on a very similar notebook belonging to my neighbor and it runs sweet.  With these specs browsers will always start slow as you know, but will then run well enough for these purposes. 

http://www.pcworld.com/product/1310946/hp-business-notebook-nc6220.html

I have ran numerous distro's on these low powered laptops, and Lubuntu is the lightest I've tried - except for Puppy of course, but none will give the Experience that of Mint!  Mint Xfce will use just a smidgen more resources but it is so worth it.  If you had less RAM then maybe another would be better but with 1GB Xfce is the ticket imo, good luck.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,112 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 06:08 PM

I have had the chat and she succumbed to my persuasion and, when I get it back to her, she will be the proud owner of a usable if battered and elderly notebook. And she is going to be the only student coming to our groups with a Linux box !

This notebook is never going to set the heather on fire but it is at least usable, you no longer have to check every five minutes to see if it is actually still running. Once I sorted out a few false starts with Rufus and the netbook's BIOS, Mint XFCE went straight in and ran 'straight out of the box'. I had never booted from a USB before and it took me two goes to get Rufus to actually place a bootable install on the memory stick - I had missed the bit about selecting an ISO !  The BIOS on this notebook lists several USB variants and it was a matter of just trying one until I found the one that worked. Time consuming but harmless.

I think she will be quite happy with it and it will certainly enable her to learn the simple basics which is all she wants. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 906 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 06:20 PM

Glad to hear you were able to persuade her to give Linux a try Chris. :thumbup2:

Once she's had time to use it for a while, please let us know how she gets on with her  "new" Linux machine.

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 01:45 AM

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. Looking at the links from here and some on YouTube, Mint XFCE seems the best way to go, at least at first. I think my next step is to have a chat with her and see if I can sell her on the idea.

I do have one advantage. Since she is very new to computing I don't have to try and sell her on the idea of giving up MS Office or even - heaven forfend ! - Windows Media Player.

Chris Cosgrove

That advantage is a huge one indeed! :thumbup2:

This is why many Windows users has troubles with learning Linux, they expect it to be the same. 

I believe that your new student has an excellent chance at learning, as her mind hasn't been polluted with Windows, it was the same with my wife. She didn't like Windows at all when I started her on it, the silly neon icon spinning & all. After 2-3 weeks I put her on Linux Mint (MATE) & she's enjoyed the ride since. 

It would be great if Linux was the OS of choice in many schools, and could be, yet Microsoft gives schools the OS for one reason, a new generation of Windows users are born. 

Good Luck with your new student! :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:16 PM

That advantage is a huge one indeed!

I also cheated a bit !  One of their sons passed this notebook onto them and set them up with Gmail e-mail accounts so I set the homepage on the browser to the Gmail log-in page.

The other thing I did is we use a public wifi service in a bar in the town where we meet and she and I totally failed to connect to it when I first met her, see #1. Although it is an open service you need to log-in to it so on my way to return it to her this morning I called in there for a coffee, connected, and bookmarked the log-in page. I do not anticipate technical difficulties in the future !

Chris Cosgrove

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,235 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:25 PM

Another score for Mint, and especially Xfce!  That's a super easy distro to run for sure, and don't forget to show her the Expanding Menu! that's one of the benefits I like best about that distro.  Just grab the upper right hand corner and make it as big as wanted.  Then all applications will be exposed without even scrolling, unless more are added.

Chris, I know you are very good with computers, so you probably did the Updates, but did you Activate the Firewall?  Did not see that here yet.  Do this in the Terminal, Hit Enter and type in Password if needed.  The Password will not be visable, so just hit Enter after typing it in.

sudo ufw enable

Then to check the status

sudo ufw status verbose

The status should look like this, from UFW-Community Help https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UFW

youruser@yourcomputer:~$ sudo ufw status verbose
[sudo] password for youruser:
Logging: on (low)
Default: deny (incoming), allow (outgoing)
New profiles: skip
youruser@yourcomputer:~$

Edited by pcpunk, 14 February 2016 - 09:37 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#13 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,112 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2016 - 12:11 PM

It turns out there was one small technical difficulty. Because it only has a small screen the default task bar is rather small as are the icons, and the Mint menu button did not show up very well, so I have increased the depth of the task bar from the default 32 pixcels to 50 and she can now find the icons.

She, and her husband, are both quite happy with this laptop and the next thing is to get them onto Skype, with a granddaughter and a grandson they are very fond of going to far flung places this Autumn they want a means of keeping in touch. They agree that it it is not the best thing since sliced bread but they say it will do them for the forseeable. They can always decide later if they want to replace it with a more up to date laptop or a tablet.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users