Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video card upgrade problems

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 axeinurface

axeinurface

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 06 February 2016 - 05:49 PM

I have an older Gateway desktop PC (Model E6300) that I've finally gotten around to upgrading. I upped the RAM to 4gb (which is max supported); everything worked fine. I also had a couple of PCI-E video cards laying around so I figure I'd do that as well, while I had the cover off. This is where my problem begins...

I installed an ASUS GeForce 8500GT (512mb); everything worked fine. I noticed I also had an EVGA GeForce 9500GT (also 512mb), so I popped it in. Everything was working fine, but I noticed that the driver was out of date. I update the driver, restart my computer and now the video doesn't work. It will boot up to the windows loading screen (at the moment it still has archaic XP but my next step after the vid card update was to install win7 64-bit), but at the moment windows is supposed to start the screen flickers and says NO INPUT. I've unplugged and replugged everything I've recently installed and nothing seems to make any difference. I even popped out the little battery on the MB in case there was something in BIOS that was not allowing it to boot. I will mention that I am using the S-video out of the EVGA card, so it may just be a faulty connector but the only other outputs it has are DVI. I have a cable/adapter on order to test those as I use my TV as a monitor.

Also, I was going to just go ahead and use the ASUS card since it worked to begin with for now, but when I installed it again the computer doesn't even try to boot up. It powers and the vid card fan spins, but that is all. So I am also confused as to why it won't work now when it worked fine before?

Edited by axeinurface, 06 February 2016 - 05:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 08 February 2016 - 03:49 PM

Have you tried booting into safe mode? This sounds like a driver issue rather than a hardware issue to me.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 axeinurface

axeinurface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 07:56 PM

Sorry for the late reply, I've been dealing with a really bad cold. Anywho, I got back to messing around with this thing again. I noticed it looked a little dusty inside so I cleaned it all out. Now when I plug everything in and turn the system on, nothing happens. The fan turns on, but the system does not boot. I noticed that the CD drive light isn't flashing either as it usually does at startup, so it doesn't seem like it is doing anything beyond powering up.

I looked up the no booting problem and I've seen a few posts on these forums that the CR2032 battery on the mobo could be bad? (I believe that this would make sense as to the system not booting up at all, correct?) The computer is quite a few years old and I'm sure it has never been touched. This may also be the case, as the computer sat around for a while without being used and the first couple of times I booted it up, I had to reset the BIOS clock. I am going to try unplugging my PS from the mobo for a bit and see if this helps at all. I'm also going to get a new battery and try that out. I took off the heat sink over the processor as well and I noticed that there was quite a bit of junk that must've gotten stuck under it when I initially cleaned it so I took care of all that stuff too.  I'll give this a try and see what happens.

Edited by axeinurface, 11 February 2016 - 11:28 PM.

#4 axeinurface

axeinurface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:19 AM

*UPDATE* I let everything sit unplugged for an hour or so and I changed my CMOS battery (I figure the computer is over 10yrs old, so I'm sure it could use it anyways). Hit the power switch and again the computer powers on but it doesn't boot up. Could I possibly have a bad power supply? This is getting really annoying. I checked to be sure everything is plugged in and seated correctly. Even if I try to boot without the new video card, it doesn't work. Hmm...

Edited by axeinurface, 12 February 2016 - 02:20 AM.

#5 invalidname

invalidname

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:21 AM

Since it failed after updating the driver, it's certainly a driver issue. Boot to safe mode by pressing f8 during startup, go to the device manager, and roll back the driver.

#6 axeinurface

axeinurface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 08:49 AM

I can't even boot into safe mode. I have tried that already. I turn on the system and the fans come on but that is all. It doesn't boot up any farther than that. There is no output from the video card and the drives don't seem to have any power to them. The hard drive doesn't make any noise and the CD drive doesn't have any power to it.

#7 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:56 AM

Does your system have integrated graphics? If so, try connecting the monitor to the integrated graphics output and booting up that way. If that fails, please remove the GPU and try again.

#8 axeinurface

axeinurface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 04:11 PM

ScathEnfys--It does have integrated video, but at the moment I don't have a VGA cable to hook it up with. I was just using a component cable to my TV for a monitor. I will be gone for the weekend but I'll see if I can dig up a VGA cable somewhere and give that a try when I get back. (I actually thought of this before but had forgot, thanks for the reminder). I'll let you know what happens.

Edited by axeinurface, 12 February 2016 - 04:12 PM.

#9 axeinurface

axeinurface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:52 PM

*UPDATE*: So I have come to the conclusion that my motherboard is probably bad. If I take out all the RAM and vid card and try to start it up, it doesn't give the long beeps like it should if memory is not installed correctly. I am curious about one thing though. When I power on, the fans turn on but the drives do not boot. I know that my cd drive was dying and my boot order in BIOS would boot the cd drive before the HDD. If my cd drive actually did finally die, could this be preventing my computer from booting up?

#10 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:42 PM

I don't think so, but you could try disconnecting it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users