Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed new hard drive, now won't boot...

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Striper

Striper

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:45 PM

I'll start with the usual disclaimer (which I'm sure you've heard ad-nauseum): I have little-to-no computer knowledge.  All I've learned has been from this (wonderful!) forum.  On to my issue...

HP Pavilion dv7-6b32us laptop

For the last year, I've been having more and more BSOD's, freezes, etc...and all of the indications pointed towards a failing hard drive.  I wish I could tell you specifically what the error messages said...but I honestly don't remember them exactly.  I can say that each time I took the diagnostic steps, it always reported a problem with the hard drive.  Usually, I was able to get it going again...but it continued to happen more and more often.  Finally, it refused to start Win7, so I figured the hd had given out.

No big deal, hard drives are cheap!  So I ordered:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/1TB-Hard-Drive-for-HP-Pavilion-DV7-6198NR-DV7-6B01XX-DV7-6B32US-DV7-6B56NR-/331090088523?hash=item4d1681d24b:g:pLcAAMXQBkpSMOM4

Installed it yesterday.  Unfortunately, I don't have a Win7 disk (came pre-installed)...but the machine does have the reg key sticker on the bottom.  Soooo my plan was to install XP (the only disk I have) to get onto the internet, then download Win7 ISO file onto a flash drive, then just boot from that (that should work, right??).

Anyway, put the XP disk in, and it appears to load the XP files just fine.  However, just before it wants to start Windows (I think) - the attached BSOD screen pops up (hopefully it's attached).

In case it doesn't attach...it's essentially the usual BSOD, and near the bottom it says:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0x0000005, 0xF73B8D66, 0xF78D1EA0, 0xF78D1B9C)

*** acp1.sys - Address F73B8D66 base at F73AD000, DateStamp 41107d27

I've been googling STOP errors for 2 days now, but I only understand a fraction of what I'm reading.  I think the acp1 is important, and possibly is referring to a hardware problem (memory?).  But honestly, I have no idea.

Hence I once again come before the masters here.  HELLPPPP!!

And THANX! as always.  Striper

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Striper

Striper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 06:26 PM

I've been researching, and thinking, about this some more...and here's what I've come up with:

1. I've read that the STOP error I'm getting is (possibly) due to trying to use an old XP disk that I've had forever, and I somehow would need to change the BIOS to use it. But from there, I'm kinda lost.

2. I had also tried using another machine to download the Win7 ISO file onto a flash drive (again. I have the reg key), but for some reason it wouldn't work.

3. I still have the old hard drive. I'm thinking about putting it back in and somehow figure out how to make an HP Recovery disk. Gotta think about this some more.

Grrrrr....

#3 Striper

Striper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 08:18 PM

Well, on the advice of a relatively computer savvy relative, I checked the boot order, and changed it to "internal CD ROM".

No joy.

Any other ideas?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:11 PM

It possible the XP disk does not have the correct drivers for the computer's chipset or the computer has UEFI instead of an older bios. XP cannot boot from a computer that has UEFI.

Download Mint Cinnamon here. Burn the iso to DVD. You should be able to boot and download your Windows 7 disk unless the key you have is OEM. If OEM there is not legal site for downloading the Windows 7 iso. Microsoft only allows a download of the retail version. If you know somebody that has a Windows 7 install disk that is the same version as what was preinstalled you can use it and do phone activation.

You may find you like Mint better than Windows and install it. If Mint does not install then there are some deeper hardware issues going on. The Mint boot disk can run from RAM and off the optical drive so the hard drive is taken out of the picture. 

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 02:04 AM

Yeah a install of Linux is a good idea until you can scrape up money to buy a windows disk... but you will have to deal with windows 10

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#6 Striper

Striper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:57 PM

Thanx JohnC! I looked over the Linux Mint and it looks pretty interesting...and I've heard others speak highly of it.

Can I download the ISO file to a flashdrive - change the boot order - then boot from that?

Thanx!

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:11 PM

Sure, you can use Rufus to create a bootable flash drive. Select MBR partition scheme first and if that fails use GPT. Leave everything that shows checked. Select iso image in the FreeDos dropdown box. Allow Quick Format and press Start.

Another option is using linux live USB creator. This will let you create a USB flash drive with persistence where it allows your setting and changes to be saved.

#8 Striper

Striper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 03:11 PM

Thanx! Trying to make a flashdrive now with LinuxLive. Taking a looooong time for the Mint-Chocolate ISO file to download.

#9 Striper

Striper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 04:34 PM

Well, I've tried this twice.  Not totally sure what I'm doing, but I'm pretty good at figuring things out.

Anyway - have downloaded Mint-Cinnamon 17.2 twice.

Keeps saying the file is corrupted.

Not sure what to do now.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 04:41 PM

You can try downloading the iso with a ftp client like FIlezilla. You can use the portable version here. If that fails then you need to download it from another location. Does your local library allow you to download files?

https://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/linuxmint.com/stable/17.2/linuxmint-17.2-cinnamon-64bit.iso

#11 Striper

Striper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 05:22 PM

I've read the LinuxLive guide 3X...but still not sure I'm doing it right.

At Step 2, I choose 'Download'...then pick the file I want to download (the only Mint-Cinnamon file listed).  But then it asks me to choose a Destination.  I had been choosing the folder on the flashdrive - but should I be downloading it to the computer hd (Downloads)?  And then it will xfer it to the flashdrive at Step 5?

Oh well - I'm now trying the download you provided the link to.  When it's done, do I just copy it over to the flashdrive?

Thanx so much for your help.  Striper

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 05:30 PM

Don't download thru the Utility. You can download the iso separately and then in step 2 select the iso file as the source. Also make sure you format the flash drive. Back up any data on the flash drive. In step 4 do not check hide files and do not check the option to enable launching in Windows.

Edit: You cannot just copy the file to the flash drive. You need to use the utility. If selecting the iso file in step 2 does not work then use Rufus.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 February 2016 - 05:36 PM.

#13 Striper

Striper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 05:56 PM

You're now my newest best friend!!  Appears to have worked...now have Linux on the machine - YAY!!

Before I do anything else....

1. Is Linux on the hd as the OS, or is it running strictly from the flash drive? (may be a stupid question).  In other words, can I / should I, remove the flash drive?

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:09 PM

If you used the Live Linux creator then do not remove the flash drive. The OS is running in RAM and off the flash drive. You can download Windows 10 if you have space on the flash drive or download it to another flash drive. Or, when at the Linux Mint desktop, it should have an icon that will let you install to your hard drive if you should decide to use linux instead of Windows. 

Here is a youtube review.

#15 Striper

Striper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:20 PM

I'll watch that video in a minute, but I wanted to let ya know I"M NOW ON THE (FORMALLY) DEAD MACHINE!!!  Woohooo!  It's ALIVE!!!

Obviously, I've only had a few seconds to look at this Linux thing - seems nice.  Appears to have a lot of the same features as Windows - although they look a little different.  Not sure yet.

I'll try to figure out how to download Windows.  First, I'm gonna try (again) to download the ISO image file using the reg key sticker on the bottom of the machine.  That didn't work the last time I tried (on another machine) - possibly due to the OEM issue you mentioned...but I don't think that's very fair (pout, pout).

Just wanna say THANX! again.  Striper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users