Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell PowerEdge R530 - installing new drives

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SurfNinja

SurfNinja

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:05 PM

Hi,

any dell experts out there :) We've got a Dell poweredge R530 server, currently with 5 hot swap drives installed with RAID 5 configured. I need to increase the disk space, so have purchased an additional x2 1.2TB SAS drives to install. What's the correct process for adding 2 drives to the array and increasing disk space available within windows server 2012 R2? Could someone sanity check the process below please:

1. install the 2 new drives whilst the server is powered on and functioning as normal. (Do I need to install 1 drive and wait for a period of time, or can both drives be installed straight after the other?)

2. Go to dell iDRAC and confirm visibility of the 2 new drives.

3. Wait until the drives have successfully been added to the array by monitoring the status via iDRAC

4. Go into Storage management within server 2012 R2 to allocate the new space to the virtual machine partitions.

Is above correct? It feels like I'm missing out a vital step, it can't be that simple to allocate additional storage space on a live production server?

Any advice appreciated :)

Thanks

Edited by SurfNinja, 06 February 2016 - 02:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:14 PM

All looks correct! I don't see anything missing.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users