Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox blocking Adobe Flash Player

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:21 PM

This started a year or so ago something about Firefox blocking Adobe Flash Player because of a security problem is what I think the explanation was.

All this time later it is still happening surely there must be a fix by now?

There is an option that shows up to accept the process but it doesn't work just continues to block?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:50 PM

Set to "Always Activate".

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/enabling-flash-player-firefox.html

#3 Smsec

Smsec

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 03:05 PM

Do you have the latest version of Adobe Flash player installed? Firefox will block if you don't. You might try downloading the most recent version with Firefox from: https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 08:05 PM

The Adobe Flash player is very buggy.  I had a heck of a time trying to get it to work with Firefox, and ended up switching to Chrome because it has its own flash player and doesn't require the buggy Adobe one.  I've since discovered that IE11 also has its own flash player.  If you have Windows 10, the new Edge browser has its own too.  All the folks with dependencies on a flash player are rushing to get away from the Adobe one. 

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#5 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 11:28 AM

I have installed Flash countless times on my machines using Windows XP or 7 with Firefox and Internet Explorer, and have never encountered a single tiny puny little problem, ever. Same goes for Java. Why those programs have been hell for SO MANY people is beyond me! The only thing I can think of is the online installation process. Many are having trouble because of security software conflicts. Installing offline with standalone installers has saved a lot of users...

#6 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 03:04 PM

I never had a problem with it either until I bought a new laptop with Windows 10 after Christmas, and tried to use it with Pandora.  I tried everything I and the Pandora support could come up with before switching to Chrome.  All I know is that Adobe has constantly updated their Acrobat reader and their flash player in recent times, and I've seen many many reports of bugs and security problems.  With Windows 10 I'm now totally free of anything Adobe and am happy to say so.  Edge will open PDF files, and I have 3 browsers that work with Pandora.  I've been told that both Pandora and Firefox are working toward alternatives to the flash player.  YMMV.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#7 Smsec

Smsec

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 03:23 PM

Flash player is in decline. Much of the functionality that flash provides is being replaced by HTML 5. Flash is buggy and has lots of security problems. There's even a movement to get rid of it - Occupy Flash http://occupyflash.org/  Lots of websites have Flash equivalent content in HTML5. Lots of security folks are saying remove flash if you don't need it. http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/06/a-month-without-adobe-flash-player/ 

Hopefully we'll all be able to do without it soon.

#8 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 07:00 PM

hmmmmmm - I have Adobe Acrobat, Shockwave Flash, and Silverlight Plug-in      All were set to ALWAYS ACTIVATE except for shockwave flash and I just now changed that one to ALWAYS ACTIVATE AS WELL.  I don't see a control for adobe flash player?  

Is there one I need to  add?

#9 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 07:03 PM

Do you have the latest version of Adobe Flash player installed? Firefox will block if you don't. You might try downloading the most recent version with Firefox from: https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Yes, I get updates for it all the time and install them.  When this first started happening - I think I saw a notice here or somewhere that Firefox had blocked it because it was some sort of problem.   Maybe that's not the case but I do recall reading it somewhere.

#10 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 07:06 PM

The Adobe Flash player is very buggy.  I had a heck of a time trying to get it to work with Firefox, and ended up switching to Chrome because it has its own flash player and doesn't require the buggy Adobe one.  I've since discovered that IE11 also has its own flash player.  If you have Windows 10, the new Edge browser has its own too.  All the folks with dependencies on a flash player are rushing to get away from the Adobe one. 

Good luck.

Thanks - I have Windows 8.1   When this first started happening - I think I saw a notice here or somewhere that Firefox had blocked it because it was some sort of problem.   Maybe that's not the case but I do recall reading it somewhere.    Maybe its not something I can fix.   I recently downloaded Opera and have used it a few times and it seems to be fairly quick maybe I will switch to that full time and see how it goes.

#11 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 07:07 PM

I have installed Flash countless times on my machines using Windows XP or 7 with Firefox and Internet Explorer, and have never encountered a single tiny puny little problem, ever. Same goes for Java. Why those programs have been hell for SO MANY people is beyond me! The only thing I can think of is the online installation process. Many are having trouble because of security software conflicts. Installing offline with standalone installers has saved a lot of users...

Thanks - I'm curious if the problems are mainly showing up on Windows 8 and 10?   another mystery

#12 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 07:10 PM

I never had a problem with it either until I bought a new laptop with Windows 10 after Christmas, and tried to use it with Pandora.  I tried everything I and the Pandora support could come up with before switching to Chrome.  All I know is that Adobe has constantly updated their Acrobat reader and their flash player in recent times, and I've seen many many reports of bugs and security problems.  With Windows 10 I'm now totally free of anything Adobe and am happy to say so.  Edge will open PDF files, and I have 3 browsers that work with Pandora.  I've been told that both Pandora and Firefox are working toward alternatives to the flash player.  YMMV.

Thanks - it seems there is no one-size fits all answer but at least I am not alone.    I have installed multiple updates that's why I thought it would be fixed by now (Adobe)   - I have security concerns about Chrome but just from feedback I've heard from others nothing I know first hand.

#13 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 07:12 PM

Flash player is in decline. Much of the functionality that flash provides is being replaced by HTML 5. Flash is buggy and has lots of security problems. There's even a movement to get rid of it - Occupy Flash http://occupyflash.org/  Lots of websites have Flash equivalent content in HTML5. Lots of security folks are saying remove flash if you don't need it. http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/06/a-month-without-adobe-flash-player/ 

Hopefully we'll all be able to do without it soon.

Thanks - sounds like much to consider - I will have to change browsers perhaps.   That's what I heard when I first started having this problem that it was a security issue.   I'll follow up with the links you've provided thanks.

#14 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 08:13 PM

hmmmmmm - I have Adobe Acrobat, Shockwave Flash, and Silverlight Plug-in      All were set to ALWAYS ACTIVATE except for shockwave flash and I just now changed that one to ALWAYS ACTIVATE AS WELL.  I don't see a control for adobe flash player?  

I know it's confusing, but Shockwave Flash IS the Flash Player plugin.

Edited by Phantom010, 07 February 2016 - 08:17 PM.

#15 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 10:15 PM

I know it's confusing, but Shockwave Flash IS the Flash Player plugin.

It surely is.   Maybe it will work now because I had it set to always ask before today but then even when it asked and I said ok it didn't work.   I think I turned it off when I was having a problem with sites popping up in the background and running without my knowing.  Don't have that problem anymore but its probably why I had it set that way.    I'll update once I find out if this was a FIX or not (setting it to always activate).   Thanks for your help I'm too confused as it is.

Edited by JayJax, 07 February 2016 - 10:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users