Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading hardware, retaining xp

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 2517dennis

2517dennis

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 06 February 2016 - 05:29 AM

Hi folks, new member here

Been using XP happily for years; never wanted to 'upgrade', many old software applications installed

Recently disaster struck when the Mainboard (or CPU) died

No problem, I thought, computer could do with a bit of a speed up anyway

After some web searching discovered that my current cpu/mainboard combo is no longer available anyway (understandable), so looked into new kit. Found the mainboard that looked right regards to number of ports, correct DIMM type, USB 3, etc..

This is an MSI board with FM2 socket, so picked a modern CPU to go in it (AMD)

When the gear arrived in the post, I decided to check the mainboard CD to see what chipset drivers were supplied, etc, etc, but discovered that the support was for Windows 7 and upwards - no XP!

This started alarm bells ringing and after more web searching it seems that my new CPU (AMD A6 7400K) doesn't support XP either!

I guess my point is that if your old computer needs fixing or even replacing, the new stuff won't ALLOW you to keep Windows XP. Not only are Microsoft pushing you out (and now Google Chrome) but mainboard and CPU manufacturers seem to be doing the same thing by not providing XP drivers for their hardware.

You might even need to buy new software applications as well!

Any body got any similar experiences?

I am currently talking to my component vendor to see if there is any older kit still available that I can swap with them.

Not happy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,209 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 06 February 2016 - 06:54 AM

It's completely normal and inevitable. Manufacturers can't justify the time, effort and cost of developing and testing drivers for superseded operating systems. As MS-DOS, Windows 3.1 and 9.x fell off the radar, the same thing is occurring with XP.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:23 PM

Another option is to install a linux distro and install XP in a VM like VirtualBox. You would need at least 4GB to run XP well. You can probably find a lot of used MBs that suits your needs on Ebay.

#4 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 02:47 AM

When I bought my current PC, I knew that It wouldn't have XP support, or Vista support, or 7 support, which sucked, but I needed newer hardware. I sometimes run them in VMs, and I do still have an old XP laptop handy too. Unfortunately nothing lasts forever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users