Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 takes 5+minutes to start up. 100% disk use.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 hogesinwa

hogesinwa

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Location:Crossed the Atlantic, via Havana. Now in Tampa Bay area for a while.
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 06 February 2016 - 04:58 AM

Hi again,

My Windows 10 does not start up faster as Windows claimed it would.  It is very very slow indeed.  I took a screen shot of the startup usage (Task Manager) and saved it as a Jpeg.

Can anyone tell me what I can safely remove from this or else how I can make them go away for a while?

Thank you.

Hoges

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 04:22 PM

All my Windows 10 systems run a virus scan when they start up; that's probably what you're seeing.  You could check your antivirus program (looks like it's ESSET) to see if there's an option not to do that.  The other thing you can do is to start the Task Manager and click the Startup tab and uncheck some things.  You can uncheck anything but your antivirus program.  Uncheck a few at a time and reboot until you find what to keep.  Some software you can add to your system assumes you want it running all the time when that's not always the case. 

You didn't give any details about your system, but one sure fire way to speed things up is to put Windows on an SSD.  That gets startup time down to 30 seconds or less.

Good luck.

Edited by Niweg, 06 February 2016 - 04:24 PM.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 hogesinwa

hogesinwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:17 PM

Thanks for that.  I know I can stop ESET but the top two "culprits" are Windows thingos.  I don't know how to stop them, or make them delay their entrance/s.

Re the SSD - my brother put SSDs on his two PCs, one he uses daily and the other an older one he has attached to his TV and uses to stream Surfing contests and the like.  They work just great and he highly recommends them.  However, I have a Toshiba laptop.  He put a third SSD in his Toshiba laptop and it runs SLOWER than it did before.  His son, my nephew, also put a SSD in his Toshiba laptop with the same result.  We are therefore not all that keen to drop a SSD in my Toshiba laptop.  We have Windows 10 in these three, but he runs 8.1 in his other two.

Do you know how to find out how to manipulate the Windows startup stuff?  I knew how to find this for years but with 10 I am still struggling to find where they've put things.

Thanks for your input.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 07 February 2016 - 05:43 PM

How did you install W10?  If it was an update/upgrade - that's likely the reason for the slowdown.

Here's some suggestions (but the ultimate suggestion is a clean install of W10):

Otherwise this tends to look similar to many other problems that we've seen with W10 being installed on well-used systems.

There's a couple of things to try:
1)  Run the following command in a Powershell window that's run as an Administrator in order to re-register the Windows Store apps:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
From this article:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/re-register-windows-store-apps
Be sure that Edge is closed (in Task Manager).  Cortana will spit an error as it's still running - don't worry about that for now.

2)  Uninstall your antivirus, then use the removal tool for it (there's a list of most of them here:  http://www.carrona.org/avuninst.html ), then install a freshly downloaded, W10 compatible version.  Some A/V have difficulties with the upgrade, so removing them and then reinstalling them will help how they run.

3)  Download fresh copies of the latest, W10 compatible audio and video drivers for your system.  Then uninstall the current versions from your system.  Then install the freshly downloaded versions.

4)  Get ALL available Windows Updates

5)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs from the manufacturer's website.  If some aren't compatible w/W10, check here about uninstalling them.

6)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs for any add-on hardware and any software that you installed previously.  If they aren't compatible, please uninstall them.

If this doesn't fix things, then post back so we can discuss the following options:
- continuing to attempt to fix this copy of the OS
- Reset of the OS (considering both the "Keep My Files" and the "Remove Everything" options)
- revert to the previous OS (both at less than 30 days, and at more than 30 days since initial update)
- revert to the previous OS with another attempt at installing W10 (I don't recommend this)
- clean install of the previous OS
- clean install of the previous OS, then update to W10 (only needed if a clean install of W10 fails)
- W10 clean install

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 05:17 PM

"Do you know how to find out how to manipulate the Windows startup stuff?  I knew how to find this for years but with 10 I am still struggling to find where they've put things."  

I've bugged MS about changing the user interface with new releases, but with 10 they were too busy trying to make everything from phones to tablets to laptops & desktops all run Windows 10.  The answer to your question is to start Task Manager and click the Startup tab.  That is where everything used to be found via MSCONFIG (but no longer is).  You start Task Manager by doing a C-A-D and selecting Task Manager.  To cancel a running MS task, click the Processes tab in Task Manager, then right-click the task you want to cancel and click End Task.

Good luck.

#6 hogesinwa

hogesinwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 11:41 PM

How did you install W10?  If it was an update/upgrade - that's likely the reason for the slowdown.

Here's some suggestions (but the ultimate suggestion is a clean install of W10):

Otherwise this tends to look similar to many other problems that we've seen with W10 being installed on well-used systems.

There's a couple of things to try:
1)  Run the following command in a Powershell window that's run as an Administrator in order to re-register the Windows Store apps:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
From this article:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/re-register-windows-store-apps
Be sure that Edge is closed (in Task Manager).  Cortana will spit an error as it's still running - don't worry about that for now.

2)  Uninstall your antivirus, then use the removal tool for it (there's a list of most of them here:  http://www.carrona.org/avuninst.html ), then install a freshly downloaded, W10 compatible version.  Some A/V have difficulties with the upgrade, so removing them and then reinstalling them will help how they run.

3)  Download fresh copies of the latest, W10 compatible audio and video drivers for your system.  Then uninstall the current versions from your system.  Then install the freshly downloaded versions.

4)  Get ALL available Windows Updates

5)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs from the manufacturer's website.  If some aren't compatible w/W10, check here about uninstalling them.

6)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs for any add-on hardware and any software that you installed previously.  If they aren't compatible, please uninstall them.

If this doesn't fix things, then post back so we can discuss the following options:
- continuing to attempt to fix this copy of the OS
- Reset of the OS (considering both the "Keep My Files" and the "Remove Everything" options)
- revert to the previous OS (both at less than 30 days, and at more than 30 days since initial update)
- revert to the previous OS with another attempt at installing W10 (I don't recommend this)
- clean install of the previous OS
- clean install of the previous OS, then update to W10 (only needed if a clean install of W10 fails)
- W10 clean install

Thank you for all that.  I will start the tasks tomorrow morning and work my way through.  It makes sense that slapping W10 on top of something causes file management systems to have a coronary.  Seeing a surgeon tomorrow for my 3-bypass, so work on the laptop will be held up a little - I will only take my phone and tablet into the hospital with me.

#7 Willabong

Willabong

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 09 February 2016 - 02:03 AM

First off, it is almost certainly a program running at startup that is causing your problem, and using the task manager to stop these running processes is not the best way to go. You would be better off using a startup manager such as "Autoruns":  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Or  "Startup.exe":   http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/startup_control_panel_standalone_version.html

Both of these programs allow easy access to all startup programs, and much more importantly allow you a simple tick/untick way to stop or start a process.

Of the two, Autoruns is a slightly more complex program and should always be run as Administrator in use!

Incidentally, I have 2 laptops that were upgraded with W10 on top of W8.1, and they both start up like lightening and run flawlessly, so a clean install is only really needed if you are having problems you cannot solve! 

Edited by Willabong, 09 February 2016 - 02:06 AM.

#8 hogesinwa

hogesinwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:21 PM

OK, I've tried both of those.  The second one didn't show anything, just my Canon camera software.  The first one shows dozens and dozens of items.

The problem now is how do I determine which of these does what?  The vast majority of them have code titles, not intuitive descriptions.

And, the major problem I see with a C-A-D when I open Task Manager at startup, the Compressed memory thing, is not on the list??

Do I have to google each item to discover what it does?  Some of them are highlighte in different colours but I can't see what these colours signify.  Is the program alerting me to the fact that I should only concentrate on these?

........getting there :)

Thanks for the input.

Hoges

#9 hogesinwa

hogesinwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 04:54 AM

Now the System and Compressed Memory thing is hogging 62% of my pc's memory - 1,837mb of it!  It has been for over half an hour, making my system almost unusable.

I searched the file and found hundreds of users with the same complaint, and an equal number of suggested fixes, none of which seem to have worked.  Incidentally, it is an issue whether Windows 10 was clean installed or not, makes no difference.

I don't want to right click, run as administrator, examine my motherboard or reset any graphics anything.

I just want to stop this p.o.c. from running until I say so.

Can anyone tell me how to simply stop it?  

thanks

Hoges

#10 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:25 AM

Have you considered adding more RAM?  It's not very expensive, and it sure helps performance.  

Good luck.

#11 hogesinwa

hogesinwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:17 AM

I'll check with the PC shop that's fixing my HP Elitecrap tablet.  Could be a good way to go.

#12 hogesinwa

hogesinwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:16 AM

This issue is still going on.  RAM doesn't appear to be an issue, just Disk Usage, although I guess with more RAM I'd have more system available to me.

I have very few programs in the Start Up.  Almost everything is disabled.

Can anyone tell me how I can stop Windows Search Indexer?  (I have tried from the Command Admin box but typing in a stop command has no effect whatsoever.)

How can I stop System and Compressed Memory?

How can I stop wsappx(2)

If I can stop these things from running, I may be able to gradually remove the problem.

Hoges

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:11 AM

See this page. I would be very careful if you decide to edit the registry. Export the key you are editing and read all comments on the page.

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/05/11/what-is-wsappx-and-why-is-causing-high-cpu-load/

If this was an upgrade and not a complete clean install check this thread.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2955252/wsappx-100-disk-time.html

It relates to the Windows Store. You may be able to disable the Windows Store Service. But it has downsides.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_perf/wsappx-process-takes-more-cpu-usage/73393475-312c-4044-8c9e-a5f78f4d7c4c?auth=1

If you google wsappx it seems to be a common issue.

#14 hogesinwa

hogesinwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:30 AM

I won't be editing the Register, that's for sure.

Do you know how to stop Microsoft Search Indexer specifically?

Or that System and Compressed Memory thing?

I have something like 180GB of music on this machine so I think I'll move it to one of my backup externals and see what happens if it's not there.

Hoges

#15 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,928 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:35 AM

I have the new Anniversary Edition of Windows 10 and from completely off to on and running takes exactly 3 seconds. A restart takes 8 seconds.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users