Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Charge light on if display cable disconnected from motherboard

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 spikeymike

spikeymike

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 04:12 AM

I have a HP DM4-1050ea laptop, which recently started to not turn on either with battery alone or AC alone (with and without battery). I cannot boot with battery alone because it's drained and don't have any other means to charge it. I had done the usual troubleshooting methods like:

Booting without HDD and RAM.
Press and hold the power button.
Trying a different power cable.

But tonight I decided to take it apart. I got access to the motherboard. I managed to get the charge light to light up when I disconnected the display adapter. At this point, RAM, HDD, optical drive and keyboard have been removed.

But I'm not sure what this diagnosis is telling me. If the display cable is plugged in, I can hear a high pitched tick noise, my best guess is that it's a short circuit. What are my options to fix this? Replace the motherboard?

This is the maintenance manual: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03106715

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 spikeymike

spikeymike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:19 PM

I managed to disassemble the screen today so I could disconnect the display cable. The laptop booted up fine without the display cable connected, But it fails to power up if the display cable is connected, even if its not connected to the display itself.

#3 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:24 PM

Try another display cable??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users