Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Build a new AMD computer. It's slow as hell?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Hello_from_ny

Hello_from_ny

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:12 AM

I'm not a genius building computers, obviously, I built two pcs in the past and just "finished" the third one.  The first two pcs I've built are fast without any lag at all.  I think the first pc I;ve built is a decade old.  Works perfectly.

Now, I've put together a third pc and It's acting well... weird.  It's slow, that blue halo by the cursor shows up, I get "Not Responding" messages, installing anything takes so long that I had to end it.  Sometimes I cannot shut the pc down, it just won't let me.  i also cannot install realteck audio for sound.  Just a lot of problems.

All the parts were bought new.  The CPU is an AMD FX-8320 Vishera and the motherboard is a MSI 990FXA Gaming.  Actual assembling of the parts were done normally.  

After putting the pc together, I let the computer idle when it's under the bios screen.  The idle temps. are 20-22 Celsius.  Motherboard temps are in the same range.  Motherboard detected the 16GB (2x8GB) ram.  First thing I did was updated the bios.  Computer acted wierd with windows installed, not sure if I did something wrong so I reformatted the hdd and started again.  

Windows didn't have driver's for wireless card, so I used the TPLink software no biggie.  Installed Panda AntiVirus due to the fact it's lightweight.  Firewall is Comodo.  I have the same two software on another computer, that computer is fine. I don't think it's these two software causing the problem.  No other security software is installed.  OS is windows 7 professional 64bit.

Tried to install software for video card.  It took about 15 mins and still not installed on HDD?  PC froze.  I have no idea what's going on.  Sata cables are brand new as well.  Could the ram be defected?  I dunno, what should I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,293 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 03:39 AM

Well it has to be something, those are good specs so something is indeed going on. To verify maybe you can try linux on it, at least as a live medium to make sure your hardware is singing right

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#3 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 06 February 2016 - 03:31 PM

Is the RAM running at its advertised speed? Many manufactures set a "fallback" speed as the default. You may have to enable XMP to get the rated speed and timings.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,293 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:34 AM

Yeah I thought that as well, but was going to go there as a set of checks

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#5 Hello_from_ny

Hello_from_ny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 03:21 AM

I don't know what XMP is?  This is the full part list:

-AMD FX-8320 Vishera 8core AM3+

-MSI 990FXA AM3+

-G. Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2x8gb) DDR3 1866

-Asus Radeon R7 360 Direct X 12 2GB 128bit GDDR5

-XFX Core Pro 850W

-Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

-Seagate 2TB 

While in BIOS, before and after I updated it, it says 16GB 1866.  The MSI booklet had a diagram of how ram was suppose to be installed it showed dual channel as slot 1 and 3.  Do you think the ram are in the wrong slots?  Are the ram sticks defective?

But I cannot install sound?  I tried to install realteack audio and had an error message?  Something about drivers.

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,293 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 03:39 AM

Possibly defective ram, won't rule it out

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#7 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 11:55 AM

It's possible, but you should look for an XMP (eXtreme Memory Profile) setting in the motherboard's BIOS. On my Gigabyte mobo, it's under 'advanced memory settings' and a duplicate option is under 'advanced frequency settings'. In other words, it's where the overclocking settings are located.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 09 February 2016 - 01:11 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#9 Hello_from_ny

Hello_from_ny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 12:27 PM

Hey sorry I've been away, I'll post the results soon.

#10 Hello_from_ny

Hello_from_ny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:34 AM

Okay.....  I cannot install anything.  The ring by the cursor pops up and the whole screen turns white.  Idk what's wrong with this damn thing and I'm finding more problems.  The front usb 3.0s do not work but I plug them into the usb 3.0 slots on mobo.  I ran memtest 86 and zero errors.  

xmp is now enable.  I tried to right click on my computer to look under proprieties and the whole thing froze.  I don't get it I had ZERO problems putting all the parts together.  Idk, what couild be causing the problem?  The mobo, I doubt it.  

Should I try reformatting again?  I litterally cannot install anything at all.  Sata cables are brand new and I tested another port on mobo.  

#11 Mars86

Mars86

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 04:36 PM

I would start with the process of elimination. If it were me I would start by swapping out the power supply from your other known good working unit and see what happens. Next (again if this were me) I would make sure you have your memory command rate set at 2t if you by chance set it at 1t, and I would back it down to 1600 Mhz for now if you had previously set it @ 1866. Next step would be to check the slots that your memory is populating and consider changing them to the other two slots. Clearing CMOS I would also do. Using a different GPU is also a consideration for testing.

#12 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 05:23 PM

If you can't install anything, try opening task manager. Tell us the contents of the processes tab.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users