Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Ultimate bit 64

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 smithassoc

smithassoc

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 11:48 PM

Hi,Can somebody please assist

I have 2 Seagate 2000gb Barracunda Usb Drives which Plug into a ASTONE docking Station

1 of the Drives works well BUT,the second drive,Windows does not see it

On Disk Managementmit is there & it Sows as Disk 2

Basic;1863-02gb online

1863-02gb Unallocated

I had Windows 10 installed but due to the many many problems with Windows 10,I had it reverted back to Windows 7

On the 1st Version of Windows 7,both of these Drives worked well & then with Windows 10,after the Computer start up & approx 2-4 hrs later,Windows 10 would shut down both Drives,on rebooting these drives,they would come back on line for about the same amount of time

Since re-installing Windows 7 again,Windows only sees 1 of the Drives & therefore I cannot check the Disk for errors etc

Both of theses drives have approx 45 to 60 % free space

Please advise how I can access this drive to check for Disk errors or File Errors or corruption of either or both

Thankig you

Regards

Darryl.Smith.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 06 February 2016 - 04:03 AM

Hello Darryl.

First can we go with the most simple (I hope) explanation...

Windows sometimes seems to forget to assign drive letters to a drive. Open the Start menu. Right-click on Computer, select properties. When the Computer Management app pops up, select Disk Management. When it finishes loading, it will show you all the drives (and partitions).

If you see your standard partition there, then more than likely it's just missing a drive letter. Right-click it, then pick "Change drive letter" to give it a drive letter. If it's not there, you should see the empty

unformatted space. Create a new partition there, format it, and give it a drive letter.

Good luck and tell us if this helps..

Acer Computer with LG Monitor and Toshiba Laptop with Windows 7.1

Windows 64bit  8.1 - Always fully updated

Firefox / Google Chrome / Internet Explorer Browsers

Usually a home helper here or with friends and nimble fingered ladies who would rather sew or dust, but not clean the bugs out of a computer ...

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:54 PM

How old are these Seagate drives?  I haven't seen the statistics for 2015, but in 2014 some Seagate models had a failure rate close to 40%.  If the one not being recognized is more than 2 years old, it may have just crapped out.  Have you tried it on another computer?  Another thing you can do is to boot Linux and see if Linux sees both of these drives.  If not, that drive may've just gone on the fritz.   :dance:

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#4 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 01:16 AM

@ Niweg
The first thing to do is test them insitu and not say that "a while back there were bad ones"
There are still programs to test these, and after my first reply, I was going to post them (please be positive).

Usually a home helper here or with friends and nimble fingered ladies who would rather sew or dust, but not clean the bugs out of a computer ...

#5 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 03:59 PM

Jaycan, do you have more recent info on Seagate drives?  I personally had a 2.5 year old 1 TB Seagate drive to fail 6 months ago, and there've been numerous reliable reports of the high Seagate failure rates.  I've seen numerous references to them in the CNET forums, and here are three you might want to read:

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1238354-backblaze-releases-its-hard-drive-reliability-report-for-q3

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-update-september-2014/ and

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/seagate-faced-class-action-lawsuit-193453745.html

There've also been reports that the Seagate diagnostics can report no errors when a drive is failing.  Being positive is nice, but when you stand to lose 2 TB of data, it's best to be safe rather than sorry!  You have to be realistic. 

Edited by Niweg, 10 February 2016 - 06:48 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:32 AM

FWIW:

Any hard drive...made by any manufacturer...ever...may fail.  Reports of hard drive failure have traditionally outnumbered reports of other component failure, so much so that it should be taken as a given that there is the distinct possibility that any drive will fail.  IMO, as a matter of routine, users should run an appropriate hard drive diagnostic anytime that they are about to do a clean install of any O/S or Windows reports "hard drive controller errors".

There is no foolproof way of detecting such...but the SMART data represents an attempt by the hard drive manufacturers, motherboard manufacturers,  and Windows...to provide early warning, based on historical data collected about hard drives.

SMART

IMO, SMART is somewhat akin to tornado/storm warnings which are provided us by the various weather gurus...the warnings are not predicated on the premise that an event will occur in a specific area, but are predicated on an analysis of what could occur, based on known data.  Of course, there remains the unknown which no one can anticipate but it's impossible to plan for/prepare for the unknown.

IMO, the reliability factor for SMART...is somewhat higher than the reliability for weather forecasts...and I treat such as key indicators re hard drive health or lack thereof.

There are only 3 hard drive manufacturers today...Toshiba, Seagate, and Western Digital.  The idea that one makes "better" drives than the other...should be subject to scrutiny, xince these three have outlasted the multiplicity of hard drive manufacturers which once existed.  System OEM manufacturers do not show any trend in using one or the other in their systems...I take my cues regarding "preference" from the OEM manufacturers, since I believe they are in much better position to assert that one makes "better" drives...than any one user or collection of users.

Louis

#7 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:05 AM

"There are only 3 hard drive manufacturers today...Toshiba, Seagate, and Western Digital. "  

Louis, who makes the HGST drives?  That's Hitachi isn't it?  Are their drives made by one of the above 3?  In the reports I listed in #6 the HGST drives all had the best stats.  BTW your comments about the SMART data are right on, I couldn't agree more.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 12:23 PM

See HGST.

Appears to me that Toshiba makes the drives...HGST is wholly-owned by WD...and WD and Toshiba have merged :).  Tricky scenario, IMO...maybe there are only 2 corps with 3 manufacturers :).

Louis

#9 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:30 AM

Wow Louis, you're right.  This sounds like the old Abbot and Costello "who's on first" skit.   :thumbsup: Nobody ever said technology wasn't a fast changing environment.  

#10 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 04:32 PM

@ smithassoc

Please skip over most of what is below my Post #2 (as it was internal discussion) ......

Now can you follow my Post #2 and please reply, as we still wish to help.

There are other solutions, and we will post them if it is needed.... I only left the 'simple' idea first..

You posted your question about 2 weeks, and we would like any update from you, if help is still required.

Thank you.

#11 smithassoc

smithassoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:47 PM

Thank you all for your assistance,I managed (I had to) clean the drive & re-format it

Fortunately,I had a copy of what was on that drive

Again,Thank you very much for your advice

#12 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:10 PM

Just updating my watched topics

Thanks -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users