Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Mint 17.1 "Rebecca" - Cinnamon (64-bit) : Constant Freezing

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 PC_Fanatic

PC_Fanatic

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 09:39 PM

The OS freezes at least once a day giving me no access to any computer function, not even the terminal. This is so far a much worse experience than I've ever had with Windows sadly, and that's saying a lot! Apparently others have this problem :

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=185100

https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/3275

I have a similar problem where everything is frozen and I can't even move the mouse. When this happens on Windows, which is rare, I am almost always able to use task manager to kill whatever it the problem. But on mint I am forced to restart the whole PC.

Can anyone give me insight to this problem? Or perhaps recommend a better more stable distro? I am kind of considering going back to Windows 7, so far my favorite OS. 

Gateway Laptop - Model # : NV55C49u-373G32Mnkk

Chip : Intel l i3-370M

Integrated HD graphics that came with this chip ^

Edited by PC_Fanatic, 06 February 2016 - 12:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 09:57 PM

I am guessing you have a nvidia card?

or can you give us your specs?

This may not be an issue with mint, but more of one with Cinnamon, dont give in yet as we can possibly help you.

Also using 17.1 may be one of your issues, Mint is up to version 17.3 and can be upgraded

Edited by MadmanRB, 05 February 2016 - 10:05 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:25 PM

Hi can you please give us your PC specs.

Please type or copy and paste this code into terminal.

inxi -Fx 

Then copy and paste the output in your next post.

#4 PC_Fanatic

PC_Fanatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:21 AM

or can you give us your specs?

This may not be an issue with mint, but more of one with Cinnamon, dont give in yet as we can possibly help you.

Also using 17.1 may be one of your issues, Mint is up to version 17.3 and can be upgraded

Gateway Laptop - Model # : NV55C49u-373G32Mnkk

Chip : Intel l i3-370M

Integrated HD graphics that came with this chip ^

I'll update but I don't see why it should do this just because I don't have the latest and greatest version. 

System:    Host: booger-NV55C Kernel: 3.13.0-37-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) 
           Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca
Machine:   System: Gateway (portable) product: NV55C version: V1.07
           Mobo: Gateway model: NV55C version: V1.07 Bios: Gateway version: V1.07 date: 09/27/2010
CPU:       Dual core Intel Pentium CPU P6100 (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 7980.32 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 933.00 MHz 2: 933.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ironlake Mobile GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card: Intel 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-37-generic
Network:   Card-1: Broadcom NetLink BCM57780 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe driver: tg3 ver: 3.134 bus-ID: 01:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: 1c:75:08:14:65:7b
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath9k bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 1c:65:9d:20:9d:87
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (4.0% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HTS54503 size: 320.1GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 291G used: 12G (5%) fs: ext4 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 46.0C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 176 Uptime: 3:02 Memory: 1427.6/2681.8MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.2 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4 

Edited by PC_Fanatic, 06 February 2016 - 12:26 AM.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,613 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:07 AM

Actually upgrading to 17.3 is a good idea as the latest cinnamon brings a lot of stability and performance to the table. I recommend using the software update tools that mint provides so you won't have to reinstall

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:28 AM

I'll update but I don't see why it should do this just because I don't have the latest and greatest version.

Problems with Linux often come down to hardware compatibility. Because the Linux audience is relatively small, developers do not exactly put themselves out to supply stable Linux drivers quickly. Unlike Windows, where the profit margins are much higher, and driver development and support is much more rapid.

Because of this, different Linux distros work better on some hardware setups than others, and often newer versions will contain drivers for hardware that earlier versions didn't support.

So updating to the latest version of Mint, could well resolve things for you.

If not, then once they have had time to assess your specs, the Linux experts here will be better able to help you.

Edited by Gary R, 06 February 2016 - 01:30 AM.

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,401 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:07 AM

I was thinking the same thing.

However.

Graphics:  Card: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0

I wonder if its this bug

https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1321623

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,613 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:23 AM

I wonder if its this bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1321623

Possible though let's see if a upgrade will help

Edited by MadmanRB, 06 February 2016 - 02:25 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,478 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 04:07 PM

Considering that laptop should run cinnamon fine I would check the integrity of the install medium.  And - did you run your Updates and install a firewall?  If not then run this in the Terminal, it will take some time, maybe 30min depending:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo ufw enable

To check the status:

sudo ufw status verbose

The output should look like this:

youruser@yourcomputer:~$ sudo ufw status verbose
[sudo] password for youruser:
Logging: on (low)
Default: deny (incoming), allow (outgoing)
New profiles: skip
youruser@yourcomputer:~$

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,401 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 04:52 PM

How is activating the firewall going to fix the problem? All that is doing is confusing the issue.

30b37fa.gif

#11 PC_Fanatic

PC_Fanatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:24 PM

I'd like to thank all of you for your replies, but I made my decision, went back with Windows 7.

The reason is not simply because of the crashes, I was honestly willing to upgrade or try another distro as there are things I enjoy about Linux.

The main reason is simply software, the stuff I need is just not available on Linux. Alternatives that have some of the same functions don't really cut it. I guess it's just not an OS for me, but I could see it as viable for some people. 

Thanks again :)

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,613 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:30 PM

Or just dualboot, use linux for browsing and other things and windows for gaming or whatever. What software were you needing so bad anyhow as there is wine

Edited by MadmanRB, 11 February 2016 - 06:31 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#13 PC_Fanatic

PC_Fanatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:41 PM

Or just dualboot, use linux for browsing and other things and windows for gaming or whatever. What software were you needing so bad anyhow as there is wine

Thing is, there really isn't anything I can do on Linux that I can't do on Windows. I mostly browse the internet, listen to music, play video games, and program.

I just don't see the need to have two Oses. 

#14 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,613 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:45 PM

Well dualboot does have the advantage of having a backup os. Plus you could get windows 10 forced on you as well, but hey its yor machine I just ask as what software do you need?

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#15 PC_Fanatic

PC_Fanatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:50 PM

Well dualboot does have the advantage of having a backup os. Plus you could get windows 10 forced on you as well, but hey its yor machine I just ask as what software do you need?

It's not forced on you lol, you have to manually choose to install it. I don't need a backup os really, so long as my data is backed up via cloud (which it is) I'm happy. 

Just software in general, there are more options. My favorite vpn HotSpotShield is not for linux, neither is my favorite image editor paint.net. The latter is a powerful program with tons of user made plugins that give it professional application. I don't see that there is something similar for Linux? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users