Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Network Adapter Disconnects Seemingly due to Power Issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Eugear

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 04:53 PM

I've been having this problem on my laptop (acer aspire v17) for a couple months now. My network adapter (Intel AC 7265) randomly dies and disappears from the device manager list. Sometimes it happens when I shutdown my laptop, unplug it, and move somewhere else. A few hours into using it in a new place and the wifi will suddenly die, with the network adapter disappearing. Sometimes it fixes itself temporarily upon start up. I have a hunch that the problem stems from some windows 10 power saving or related conflict.

What I have done:

• Made sure power for network adapters is on maximum for all settings in the windows power options
  • Downloaded and installed latest network adapter drivers
  • Reset windows
  • Downloaded patch from manufacturer that seems to reset power settings (it fixed it for only one day)
  • When the network adapter was in the device list, I unchecked "let this device be shut-down to save energy"
  • Used command line Powercfg to check devices - when the network adapter dies, it doesn't show up on the powercfg list

The thing that boggles my mind is how random this issue is. Sometimes it will work fine for a week or two, then fail in the middle of checking email. Sometimes, like right now, I'm just stuck without a network adapter for a long period of time. I'm hoping there are hidden power settings or some sort of windows 10 feature that is messing with the adapter. I would appreciate if someone could help with this.

In the events log, apparently the network adapter performs a few resets because something requests them. I'm guessing it might be WLAN Autoconfig, which detects limited connectivity and resets as a result. Then, there are logs of Netwtw02 saying that the network adapter is not functioning properly.

Edited by Eugear, 05 February 2016 - 04:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:27 PM

Hey Eugear,

Welcome to bleeping =) 

Probably the adapter is dying or the slot is dirty, memory dump will be really useful.

I guess you experience some blue screens as well.

Many thanks,

#3 Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 06 February 2016 - 04:37 PM

You didn't say what kind of router you have or how old your computer is.  You didn't say how far away you are from the router either, and all these things are relevant to the problem.  It sounds like you delved deeply into the power applet and found the maximum power setting, so maybe you could need a new router.  If your computer supports the 802.11AC standard, you could get a router that supports it.  It's alleged to support a greater range.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users