Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Locked out on Dell laptop Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sparrow123

Sparrow123

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 04:27 PM

Cannot get into computer it just says Locked when I try to put my password in I cannot get any further it does not allow the mouse to work either can anyone suggest how I can unlock it so that I can put my password in please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:00 PM

You have no restorable OS image backups, correct?  I was going to ask about the usb password reset [that I can make with Win7Pro], however, I do not know if your OS has that feature.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:44 PM

I was going to ask about the usb password reset [that I can make with Win7Pro], however, I do not know if your OS has that feature.

Just for the record, you can make a Password Reset Disk on all Windows 7 editions.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:06 AM

I was going to ask about the usb password reset [that I can make with Win7Pro], however, I do not know if your OS has that feature.

Just for the record, you can make a Password Reset Disk on all Windows 7 editions.

I was asking thread starter about his Windows 8.1   :)

Edited by RolandJS, 06 February 2016 - 09:07 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 06 February 2016 - 10:09 AM

Did you make a Password Reset Disk for this computer?

If you did not, the only option may be to use the System Recovery Partition to reinstall the operating system.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN128765#No-Reset-Disk

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 06 February 2016 - 10:41 AM

I was asking thread starter about his Windows 8.1   :)

It's the same for Windows 8, 8.1 and 10.

#7 PeterStevens

PeterStevens

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 03:15 AM

There are some tools available that allow you to boot from a USB and reset the password (Linux based).

I can't remember the name of the tool, but we've used it a few times for people who have forgotten their passwords, mostly for elderly customers.  If the customer seems "doubtable", we simply quote a very high fee. Usually weeds out the criminals. That, or we say we can't.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:58 AM

This is true.  But... the computer has to be operating in order to do this.  Since Sparrow can't boot into Windows due to the password problem they will not be able to do this.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 Sparrow123

Sparrow123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 12:40 PM

Thank you everyone for your kind replies but as the last message was correct since I cannot get into the computer I could not do anything - I have been to PC World and they managed to unlock it for me.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 12:46 PM

How did they unlock it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users