Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Jobs never making it into the print queue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WouldBePolymath

WouldBePolymath

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 02:01 PM

I had posted this request for help at my 'home' forum a few days ago, but unfortunately I was unable to get the problem resolved there, so again I ask for your help.

I guess this is a software problem, but maybe it's a hardware problem.

My system:

Lenovo ThinkCentre M75e 5042A7U

4.00 GB RAM (I know, I need more)

Win7 Pro, Service Pack 1 64-bit

I have an HP Envy 5530 e-All-in-One Printer.

It won't print.  I looked in the print queue ("See What's Printing").  It was empty.

I ran the HP Print and Scan Doctor.  I selected the correct printer and clicked on "Fix Printing".

It said "Everything checks out OK with your product".

I clicked on "Test Print".

It said "The printer should have printed out a test-print for evaluation."

But it hadn't, so I clicked on "No print".

It suggested printing an internal test page.  I clicked on "Test Print".  It printed the internal test page just fine.  It said "Did the test page print correctly?"  I clicked on "Yes".

It then said:

'There is a problem with your software that cannot be fixed by this tool. Remove the software by clicking "Uninstall". Reinstall the software with the product CD or by downloading the most current Full Feature software from HP Customer Care.'

I clicked on "Uninstall", and the good Doctor said:

"This will uninstall your product software. Before doing this, you should download and save the latest Full Featured software for your product from HP Customer Care."

So I clicked on the link to "HP Customer Care", which took me to the webpage

"HP ENVY 5530 e-All-in-One Printer - Find Solutions".

There the Solution and Update Finder and Troubleshooting tabs were of no help, as neither made any reference to jobs not showing up in the print queue.

So I selected the Software and Drivers tab.

There, there were two options: Check for updates and recommendations, and Go directly to the software and driver results.

I selected the former.  The website then scanned the printer, but then said:

"HP has scanned your product but currently has no suggestions for driver updates.
The list of all available drivers for your product is shown below."

In other words, it referred me to the second option, Go directly to the software and driver results.

And at the list of available software and drivers, there was only one 'option':
HP ENVY 5530 e-All-in-One Printer series Full Feature Software and Drivers

So I clicked on it.

A window appeared asking if I wanted HP to download the software and install it for me, or if I just wanted the download.  I selected the former.

A window appeared that said "Software is downloading. Once the download has completed, click 'Install now' to begin the installation process."  A progress bar was shown, but the 'progress' never got beyond 0%.

So I manually downloaded the software / driver package, uninstalled the existing package, installed the newly-downloaded package, and rebooted the machine.

I then tried to print a text file.  First I had to select the newly-reinstalled printer.  Then I clicked on "Test Print".  Nothing happened.  And that started the whole process all over again.

Any ideas about what I could be doing wrong, software-wise?

Also, it's occurred to me that even though the HP Print and Scan Doctor said "There is a problem with your software...", in order for me to be absolutely certain of that, maybe I should ask if anyone knows of any diagnostic program that I can run to check that there's no hardware problem; so any input on that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks for any help that anyone can offer.

Edited by hamluis, 05 February 2016 - 04:19 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 02:08 PM

Well first thing is to see if its recognized in device manager. Right click my computer>>>>Device Manager and see if its listed in there. If it is, try right clicking on the printer icon and pause printing then send something to it and see if it actually ever gets put in the que, then we can go from there.

#3 WouldBePolymath

WouldBePolymath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 03:54 PM

It's not in Device Manager, but it IS in Devices and Printers, where it is selected as the default printer.  Right-clicking on it DOES yield a pop-up menu, but Pause Printing isn't on it.  In fact, I could find no way to pause printing per se, but clicking on Printer Properties (as opposed to Properties) in the pop-up menu, and then clicking on Print Test Page, I saw the job show up in the print queue for a few seconds, but then it disappeared without being printed.

Then, by selecting Printer Properties' Advanced tab, I changed the setting from "Spool print documents..." to "Print directly to the printer".

Then I tried to print again.

Then Printer Properties said "Test page failed to print. Would you like to view the print troubleshooter for assistance? Unable to create print job."

So I clicked on "Yes".

It then asked me "Which printer would you like to troubleshoot?"  Two were listed: HP ENVY 5530 series, and Nitro PDF Creator 2.

Nitro PDF Professional 7 is a pdf editor that's installed on this computer.  Why it's installed on this computer (which I inherited) in addition to Adobe Acrobat 8, I don't know.

But then I bailed out of the Troubleshooter and tried again to print.  For some reason, this time the error message I got was StartDocPrinter call was not issued.

Wait, it gets weirder.

Then, I changed the setting back to "Spool print documents...".  This time it printed!  I don't know what to think, including whether or not the problem is really permanently solved.

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 04:12 PM

How old is this printer?  Is it possible it's a hardware problem with it?  That seems like a possibility.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#5 WouldBePolymath

WouldBePolymath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 04:25 PM

Yeah, I think it's a possibility that there could be a hardware problem, that's why I was wondering if there was any diagnostic program I could run to check that.  But I think this printer is only about 2 1/2 years old.

#6 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 04:54 PM

I don't have an HP printer, but I'd check with HP to see if they have something in the diagnostic area.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users