Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This Video Card Any Good?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Yunalesca

Yunalesca

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:15 PM

CLICKY

Currently I got a ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series (ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series (0x5954)) and it's a SHARED videocard so it's really annoying....

I think the price is pretty good for the above deal, but being a newbie I am in computers I have no clue if it's direct/shared or if that video card is any good... can someone advice me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:44 PM

Wow...... can you say "overkill"? It looks like an awesome card, although i personally have never heard of "Diamond".

I also have an ATI radeon xpress in my eMachines, and it's... mediocre. I do agree that integrated cards are usually worthless, and PCI-E are the new wave of technology, so that is the best path to go. Whether you need the amount of power that card offers is questionable. There are some very good 256mb cards out there for around $70/80 that'll run a lot of the newer games. What are you going to be mainly using the card for? Games, video editting, general visuals?

For the value, the 512mb card is pretty good, but i'm not sure about the quality. I don't own or know anyone that has a diamond card, so i can't speak personally.

On a personal note, FFX is easily the 3rd best FF game.... :thumbsup:

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:52 PM

You have to make sure your motherboard and power supply will support whatever kind of card you get.

#4 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2006 - 12:54 AM

The "512MB" won't really increase performance that much opposed to the 256MB model. Since you gave a link to Futureshop.CA. I'll assume you're in Canada as am I. You might like this video card instead of that X1300. Make sure you have a good power supply to power those cards. They say they need a 350Watt minimum but I'd suggest a 400Watt or higher so you don't strain it and Watts aren't everything. On the label of every power supply it shows the Amps for the +12V rail. You want around 18-20Amps at least.

Oh, and I've personaly have had no problem with Tigerdirect.ca. Although other online retailers may sell a bit cheaper, they don't sell to Canada ( sucks, doesn't it?) When I orderd a motherboard+CPU+512MB combo it came in a few days and all the items were un-damage.

Edited by protozero, 30 July 2006 - 12:59 AM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#5 Yunalesca

Yunalesca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2006 - 01:05 AM

The computer I have I bought on February so it's relatively new (so I'm hoping the power supply is good enough).... now I'm not sure what you mean by "The "512MB" won't really increase performance that much opposed to the 256MB model"

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 30 July 2006 - 03:55 AM

For a stand-alone graphics card that is the low-end possibility. It is a cheap low-performance graphics card with a lot of extra memory that it will never use to make it seem much better than it is. They are trying to make it seem like a good deal with lots of memory to fool people who doesn't read the fine print and believes the amount of memory is everything.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#7 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2006 - 03:55 PM

Yes. I meant that the 512MB on the video card won't really add any performance boost. Retailers slap on some extra memory and hope that people think "Oh, 512MB, it must be a g ood card!"

Oh, and Yunalesca. Just because your computer is new doesn't mean it has a good power supplies.
If you have the basic computer from a retailer such as Dell, Compaq, ect. With the basic things, it could easily have a 300Watt power supply.

That X1300 is not shared. It would say something about "Hyper memory", and it's actually pretty good if you have enough RAM. I don't think there's an add in card that has to share memory with the computer.

A little advice when looking at video cards. Look at the clock speed of the memory/core. Also look at how many pixel/vertex pipelines it has. And always read reviews of it and look at benchmark test so you know how well they perform. That's just a brief little piece of advice.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#8 Yunalesca

Yunalesca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2006 - 07:31 PM

Yeah I just called HP it's got 300 watt.... <.< shoot

How about these?

their prices are relatively the same...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...82E16814131422R
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...acture=SAPPHIRE
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Sea...=2&NoMapp=0

I found a site with a few power supplies http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Cat...c.asp?CatId=106 which one of these would you recommend>
>.< Sry I'm a big newbie >.<

Edited by Yunalesca, 30 July 2006 - 08:10 PM.

#9 TheEmuRider

TheEmuRider

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 31 July 2006 - 03:51 AM

In response to protozero, there are add-on cards that share memory. The Turbo-cache series from Nvidia, and ATI has its version as well (I forgot the name).

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 31 July 2006 - 06:36 AM

I assume you want the video card for gaming.

What model HP do you have?
What processor and how much RAM?

Does it have a PCI-e slot or an AGP slot or none? (That depends on the motherboard.)

Gaming or high graphics usage depends on a lot more than just the video card.

#11 Yunalesca

Yunalesca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:54 PM

1.0 GB RAM
4200+ dual core amd athlon 64
250 GB harddrive space
PCI express
model number m7330n

Edited by Yunalesca, 31 July 2006 - 09:55 PM.

#12 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 31 July 2006 - 10:41 PM

Damn... Nice graphics card... but here is a rule of thumb when the video card is more powerfull then the computer then it might be a little overkill :thumbsup: I highly suggest what protozero suggested. It is good for gaming, good price and hopefully you won't need one of those 600-Watt powersupplies to run the machine, Huhh I mean card :flowers:

#13 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2006 - 01:38 AM

Yunalesca, sorry. But the links you gave won't work with your current power supply. Same with the other links to the X1600 and X800 GTO.

And the X1300 needs at least 350Watts.

If you really don't want to buy a new one ( They can range up to 100$CDN for like a 400-450Watt one at a local Futureshop or Bestbuy, last time I was there? )

I did however find you two video cards that should just work with your power supply, but you'd be stretching it thin. ( Sorry, I'm not to familiar with nVidia products. But if you find a GeForce 7300 or 6200 they should work with your power supply, but I've noticed that 6600 and up needs 350watts)

X800 XL. A little pricey from your what you were looking at.

X700 "Super" It's in your price range and should work with your power supply. The 512MB is mostly eye candy. Nonetheless still a good price for a X700.

Edited by protozero, 01 August 2006 - 01:38 AM.

#14 Yunalesca

Yunalesca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2006 - 07:10 AM

I need something with more pipe pixil and the one you listed has 8 check this one out http://shop.ati.com/product.asp?sku=3019316 it has 16 pixils and its same price.

#15 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 01 August 2006 - 11:04 AM

Well that is a nice graphics card but you have to make sure you have a PCI-Express X16 slot on your motherboard and you need a dedicated videocard power connector coming from your powersupply and the specs say a 500W or greater PSU.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users