Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Greetings from Canada!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Vaxinius

Vaxinius

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 12:30 PM

Hello bleepingcomputer community!

Glad communities like this exist. Living up here in the not so snowy north of Alberta when I came upon purported issues with my computer.

Hope all is well, and I wish you all to have clean computers!

Thanks,

Vax

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnHT

JohnHT

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 12:53 PM

hey, welcome. I'm from Red Deer. :)

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:16 PM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer.

As a new member be sure to read the Welcome to Bleeping Computer! Guide and the following...
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Frikster

Frikster

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 08 February 2016 - 01:29 PM

Another Canadian here from the somewhat warmer Vancouver. Hi all  :bounce:  Just joined after being mighty impressed by the following series of threads: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/?p=2853053

Am hoping for advice regarding whether Automatic Driver Update programs and more advanced uninstall programs are a good idea since it wasn't covered in that set of posts. (e.g. are programs like iobit's Driver Booster 3 and Uninstaller good tools to have?)

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 01:51 PM

Driver Update utilities are just as bad as registry cleaners. Most are junk programs often bundled with other software you download from the Internet and many are classified/detected as potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) by security scanners.

#6 Frikster

Frikster

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 03:21 PM

Driver Update utilities are just as bad as registry cleaners. Most are junk programs often bundled with other software you download from the Internet and many are classified/detected as potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) by security scanners.

Sweet, thanx a lot quietman7! As a computer guy I feel pretty ashamed I didn't already know all this stuff

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:03 PM

You're welcome.

#8 rockpilez

rockpilez

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 04:32 PM

I am going to jump in on this topic as I am Canadian as well as well as from BC(not bleeping computer lol- British Columbia) well north of Vancouver. I found this site via Ask Leo who I subscribe to and found that the forums are friendly and informative. I will probably post on help with hardware issues on a older pc, dealing with Win7 and likely soon, Win10. 

#9 Frikster

Frikster

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 05:00 PM

I am going to jump in on this topic as I am Canadian as well as well as from BC(not bleeping computer lol- British Columbia) well north of Vancouver. I found this site via Ask Leo who I subscribe to and found that the forums are friendly and informative. I will probably post on help with hardware issues on a older pc, dealing with Win7 and likely soon, Win10. 

Hi rockpilez!

Looks like you and me are in the same boat. I am running windows 7 as well, but am looking to make the jump to windows 10 before it stops being free. Am excited to eventually do so

#10 rockpilez

rockpilez

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:15 PM

Hi rockpilez!

Looks like you and me are in the same boat. I am running windows 7 as well, but am looking to make the jump to windows 10 before it stops being free. Am excited to eventually do so

I hear you. The Win 10 thing has made me somewhat stressed as I hate to rebuild the beast but hoping coming here will alleviate my lack of confidence. I think we have til roughly Sept to make the change? I will browse the forums here on the move anyways. hope your winter is going well down there as ours is melting quickly. 1.5' snow has dropped to about 6" but very icy at nite. 

#11 Frikster

Frikster

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:22 PM

Hi rockpilez!

I hear you. The Win 10 thing has made me somewhat stressed as I hate to rebuild the beast but hoping coming here will alleviate my lack of confidence. I think we have til roughly Sept to make the change? I will browse the forums here on the move anyways. hope your winter is going well down there as ours is melting quickly. 1.5' snow has dropped to about 6" but very icy at nite. 

Careful! This is what I read at Software King:

**BREAKING NEWS** As of July 29th 2015 Microsoft have extended an offer to all customers currently running GENUINE Windows 7 and 8 systems whereby they can upgrade to Windows 10 for free. This offer is valid for 12 months (until July 30th 2016) so feel free to upgrade at your convenience. Purchase and install any Windows 7 edition from us and you'll be able to take advantage of this offer.

Would hate to hear you trying to make the change in September after the free offer has expired! And I hear you about rebuilding the beast. Though having a fresh OS always feels so... well fresh. I plan on purging my old system as need be and following the advise on this forum so that I don't install all the gook that brought my previous rig to a baby crawl.

I'm partly jealous! We've had no snow but for the mountains this year. But ye gods, has it been very rainy, even for Vancouver.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users