Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internal IDE hdd with adapter for Sata?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Shadowdance

Shadowdance

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:04 AM

I have a motherboard that all the cables for the HDDs are for Sata.

My girlfriend gave me 2 IDEs and I was wondering if there was an adapter.

I googled and found some results, but I'd like to ask you guys, before I buy.

Thanks a lot!

WIN 7 ULTIMATE EN, AMD Dual-Core A4-6320, 3.8GHz (Turbo 4GHz), MB: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. A55BM-E Rev X.0x, DDR3 SIN 1333 4GB, AMD Radeon HD 8370D, Realtek High Definition Audio,

Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 500GB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:22 AM

Newegg has a SATA to IDE converter for ~$13.00 + tax and shipping.

I'm going to guess that you PSU has SATA power connectors.  If this is the case you will need a SATA to Molex converter.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Shadowdance

Shadowdance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 12:10 PM

I'm going to guess that you PSU has SATA power connectors.  If this is the case you will need a SATA to Molex converter.

I have some SATA to Molex, I only need the adaptor.
Thank you!

WIN 7 ULTIMATE EN, AMD Dual-Core A4-6320, 3.8GHz (Turbo 4GHz), MB: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. A55BM-E Rev X.0x, DDR3 SIN 1333 4GB, AMD Radeon HD 8370D, Realtek High Definition Audio,

#4 deprecated

deprecated

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 03:15 PM

Microcenter is usually the cheapest route. Yeah, if you can think of it, they probably have an adapter for it. You may not want them internal though, my experiences if I remember correctly from way back when I ran IDE internally alongside SATA, despite jumpers, it was a very noticeable performance drag.

#5 Shadowdance

Shadowdance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 06:22 PM

I have 2 cables, one with 4 pins (the Molex we've said above), but I have one with 3 pins (2 black cables and 1 red, ide to sata). What's the diffirence?

Microcenter is usually the cheapest route. Yeah, if you can think of it, they probably have an adapter for it. You may not want them internal though, my experiences if I remember correctly from way back when I ran IDE internally alongside SATA, despite jumpers, it was a very noticeable performance drag.

I surely am aware of the perfomance degrade, but how much of that degrade are we talking about?

I will use the 2 hdds for system image backups and steam games.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:14 AM

You will need a molex power connector for the hdds.  This will require the four wire configuration for a IDE hdd, one yellow wire (+12V), one red wire (+5V), two black wires (-  negative potential),

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Shadowdance

Shadowdance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 03:33 PM

Hey I'm having issues with instaling the adaptor.

The drive is IDE, so I'm trying to convert to SATA.

I plug the red SATA cable (after I've connected the adaptor in the IDE ribbon port).

Then, I have a Y-power cable, splitting to female and male, and a small white port that goes on the adaptor.

I connect the one 4-pin end on the similar one of the motherboard, and the other end on the HDD on the far right, where I'd put the power supply.

And it actually almost caught fire.

What am I doing wrong??? It's not like I'm a total noob and still I can't figure this out.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:26 AM

Did you follow the instruction in the user's manual?

http://content.etilize.com/user-manual/1019238782.pdf

Edited by dc3, 17 February 2016 - 08:27 AM.

#9 Shadowdance

Shadowdance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:30 AM

Did you follow the instruction in the user's manual?

http://content.etilize.com/user-manual/1019238782.pdf

The product is this: http://www.logilink.com/showproduct/AD0006A.htm?seticlanguage=en

I scanned the manual for you (To me it's not clear how I power up the HDD):

wrgpzr.jpg

Also this is my adaptor after I connected the SATA cable and the Y cable:

2qdscwy.jpg

The left pin is female, the other male, then the 3rd goes into the converter.

What I did, was to connect the SATA on the motherboard.
The 4pin male into the 4pin female of the motherboard 
The 4pin female into the 4pin male of the HDD.

I really don't know what I did wrong...

#10 Ravenbar

Ravenbar

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 18 February 2016 - 05:59 AM

Shouldn't have to connect the power to the motherboard. Data cable would go to the motherboard, power to a Molex on the power supply. If you have a Molex power supply, you might not even need the Y cable as the plug in the adapter looks like a floppy drive power connector which every Molex power supply I've seen has at least 1 of.

Edited by Ravenbar, 18 February 2016 - 06:03 AM.

Desktops: "John2" Custom, Gigabyte F2A88Xm-D3H, AMD 6A-5400K Trinity 3.6Ghz Dual-Core APU, 16Gb DDR3  HyperX Fury 1866Mhz RAM, 120Gb Crucial Force LS SSD OS) Linux Mint 17.3, 320Gb Raid1 array consisting of (1) Seagate ST320LT020-9YG14 & (1) Fujitsu MZH2320B

Francisco: HP pavilion p7-1080t upgraded with 16Gb ram. Windows 7. Used only for Gaming

Server.GaltsGulch: HP Elite 8300 Small Form Factor, i7-3770, 16Gb ram, Kingston SSDNow 120Gb SSD, 3Tb storage HDD, Fedora Linux/Avahi, Headless

#11 Shadowdance

Shadowdance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:30 AM

Shouldn't have to connect the power to the motherboard. Data cable would go to the motherboard, power to a Molex on the power supply. If you have a Molex power supply, you might not even need the Y cable as the plug in the adapter looks like a floppy drive power connector which every Molex power supply I've seen has at least 1 of.

So skip the middle 4-pin and connect the female 4-pin on the HDD drive?

Will I have to do any change in my settings in the BIOS?
It's gonna appear on the disk management I assume?

#12 deprecated

deprecated

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:35 PM

Wait... so the HARD DRIVE is IDE or SATA? From what I can see this is meant to turn an IDE connection on a motherboard into a SATA connection... So connecting a SATA hard drive to IDE... not IDE hard drive to SATA.

Edit: Err, nevermind... you should be hooking this into your hard drive and running the SATA cord to your motherboard... I am still unsure why there is a floppy power connection, unless to specifically power that board? I could have sworn that I had bought a cord that would turn the IDE connection to a SATA data cord and you still ran the Molex directly to the Hard Drive?

So, if it is to specifically just power the adapter... then your hard drive WILL NOT turn on without a separate Molex connection ran directly to it, because the old IDE ribbon is strictly data. This whole adapter is nothing but a middle man for the ribbon. So, when you boot your computer on... the hard drive still will not have power with just this.

inputid.jpg

As you see above... the adapter you have is only for the IDE interface... I am guessing the Y-cable you have has a male and female, so I assume that you could run one from the adapter to the hard drive and connect the other corresponding connection to the power supply and be fine.

Edited by deprecated, 18 February 2016 - 02:54 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:45 PM

Just for your information, I do not believe you can boot an IDE hard drive using this adapter. The Y cable is there so it have another connector should you need it. As Ravenbar posted you do not connect anything to the motherboard. In your image you would connect one of the molex connectors to your PSU. Then attach the adapter to the ide connector or the drive and the SATA data cable to the MB. 

Edit: Sorry, I looked at the packaging and this adapter is wrong for what you are trying to do, just as deprecated posted. You need a Bi-Directional IDE to SATA adapter like this. One that has two SATA data connectors.

http://www.terapeak.com/worth/bidirectional-sata-to-ide-3-5-or-ide-to-sata-adapter/171028488151/

Available on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-PATA-IDE-TO-Serial-SATA-Interface-Hard-Drive-HDD-Adapter-Converter-EA-/262123923312

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 February 2016 - 02:53 PM.

#14 Ravenbar

Ravenbar

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 05:50 PM

I was just doing some looking online and see that this is an adapter to connect a SATA hdd  to an older motherboard, not a IDE hdd to a sata port, Just as John C and deprecated have said.

The LogiLink adapter connects your S-ATA hard disk or S-ATA DVD to the IDE ATAPI port of the motherboard or interface card of your computer. There are no drivers needed, and the ports of both connection sides are standardized. The adapter is ideal for newer operating hard disk types and CDROM or DVD drives in computers of the older generation without S-ATA connectivity.

THis is the adapter you need: http://www.logilink.com/Products_LogiLink/Notebook-Computer_Accessories/USB_Adapter-Converter/IDE_ATAPI_PATA_to_SATA_converter.htm

Desktops: "John2" Custom, Gigabyte F2A88Xm-D3H, AMD 6A-5400K Trinity 3.6Ghz Dual-Core APU, 16Gb DDR3  HyperX Fury 1866Mhz RAM, 120Gb Crucial Force LS SSD OS) Linux Mint 17.3, 320Gb Raid1 array consisting of (1) Seagate ST320LT020-9YG14 & (1) Fujitsu MZH2320B

Francisco: HP pavilion p7-1080t upgraded with 16Gb ram. Windows 7. Used only for Gaming

Server.GaltsGulch: HP Elite 8300 Small Form Factor, i7-3770, 16Gb ram, Kingston SSDNow 120Gb SSD, 3Tb storage HDD, Fedora Linux/Avahi, Headless

#15 Shadowdance

Shadowdance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:52 PM

Alright now I'm confused.
The hdd is ide. The man in the store gave me this to convert the signal to Sata. I guess not???

Ok I will get the adapter from eBay.
Could I have done damage to my HDD with this adapter?

Do you guys think I'll be OK with the adapters you recommend?

Thank you very much, I'm much obliged!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users