Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't find NIC after Windows 10 Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dcstim

dcstim

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:03 AM

I have just upgraded a PC from Windows 7 to 10.  Everything worked well apart from now the Network Card is not found?  It doesn't appear in Device Manager and I cannot get the ethernet connection to work?  It worked fine downloading the W10 files but since the installation finished - nada!

Anybody help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:07 AM

If the computer has UEFI there may be a setting that enables/disables LAN. Check that. 

What is the make and model of the computer? Some LAN's NICs do not show in Device Manager unless a chipset driver is installed.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 February 2016 - 10:08 AM.

#3 dcstim

dcstim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 08 February 2016 - 01:08 PM

Thanks John,

The PC was made as a custom job and purchased online about three years ago.  To access UEFI (if it has it) do I get into in the similar way to BIOS, at satrtup?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 08 February 2016 - 01:14 PM

UEFI is firmware used on newer computers that replaces the older BIOS. I don't know your key press but enter UEFI or BIOS depending on your MB. Look for any setting  enabling your NIC.

Download CPUz. Run it and under the Mainboard tab list the Chipset and Southbridge. It's possible Windows 10 does not have drivers for your NIC chipset and therefore is not detected. CPUz should also show the MB maker and model number. Post that also.

#5 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 08 February 2016 - 05:07 PM

Missing NIC and touchpad drivers is a common problem for some who upgrade to 10.  You need to find the details for your NIC and install the Windows 10 driver for it.  If you can't, you can always buy a USB one, plug it in, and install the driver that comes with it.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users