Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suggestions on Acer 5560 upgrades

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 deprecated

deprecated

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 09:17 AM

I have upgraded the HDD to a SSD in hopes that I would be able to use a hard drive caddy for the 500Gig drive, but alas the factory-BIOS will only run on ATAPI which fails to boot the HDD.

So, my other thoughts on upgrading are... replacing the 2Gig RAM stick with a 4Gig stick. Also, replacing the WiFi card currently installed on the laptop is another one. Any suggestions on brands/models?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:08 AM

That seems to be an issue with that model of laptop in that the connection for the dvd drive is only ATAPI. A workaround for this would be to leave that drive in place and to buy an external hard drive case for the 500GB drive. Those are fairly cheap, around $15-$20.

According to the specs I found for that laptop it can take 8GB of ram (2X4). If you intend to upgrade you'd get much more bang for your buck maxing that out.

Why do you want to upgrade the wireless card? The specs indicate the card is wireless N already.

Edit to add: I'm assuming you are running Win 7 64 bit when I suggest 8GB of ram. If it is Win 7 32 bit go with the 4GB, as anything over that can't be used on a 32 bit system.

Edited by Leurgy, 05 February 2016 - 11:19 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 deprecated

deprecated
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 11:29 AM

A 4Gig card would max it at 8Gigs after replacing the 2Gig stick. I got the 5560-Sb653, so 6Gigs currently, but I forgot to mention that, my bad.

I'd like something with a bit more functionality and/or support driver-wise, because the current one seems to be a pain in the butt to find a newer workable driver. The Device properties' model show this card, via Broadcom's site, should have Bluetooth and that it should be capable of a lot more. I might just go USB, there seems to be a few quirks with this laptop and I might end up tearing it all down some time soon. OR may set up an old router that I have to set up a bridge and connect via Ethernet.

Bought it off Craig's List for $85 there's like 10-12 hardly noticeable brighter spots (most noticeable at 100% brightness) on the display and the webcam that is installed will be detected if you bend/put a bit of pressure around it. I currently have the HDD connected with USB, but 2x USB slots is a lot of real estate on the 3 total USB ports, haha.

So, I have been looking for an enclosure that is self powered and/or trying to find a cheaper one I can attach to my network? I use it now for my user files and stuff, but it is not convenient to have to disconnect it... stupid ATAPI-only slot for an optical drive I have used once to burn Hiren's Boot CD for GParted to image over the old HDD to the SSD. So, since it is such a pain in the butt to always have to disconnect and reconnect... I find my go to drive right now is the 248Gig SSD for EVERYTHING and then me being like... eh, I should probably move that over and get rid of it. Would maybe be nice to find a 90 degree USB adapter that doesn't stick out so much, when I use a mouse... Google, now, I must.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 12:17 PM

Can you attach a USB external drive to your router? Many models have a usb port for that reason.

Have you gone to the Acer website for the original driver for your wireless card?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 deprecated

deprecated
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 12:54 PM

Yeah, I am almost positive that I currently have it installed as when I first wanted to image my HDD over to the SSD which is half the size... I had to resize all the partitions on the HDD, yadda, yadda, and upon booting up... I tried to use Storage Executive from Crucial, well, turned out somewhere somehow any attempts to access/free up port 80, 8080, or ports alike were eternally loading to timeouts. Despite any troubleshooting I could think nor could I find as solutions, even when 'netstat' with every flag in the book showed it open or taken with a user-loaded program. Anyways, to end headaches, I hastily backed up user files carelessly (now got lots of Illustrator work to redo) to the HDD and booted the Recovery partition and began hours of uninstalling bloatware and installing upgrades... since I freaking need port 80.

Although, maybe I will try and go through all the Broadcom drivers listed on the site and see, but I am not discrediting a previous drop or bend from the previous user causing a minor hardware failure or disconnection, when accounting the screen, camera, and the missing ESC key. On a quick Google search of the BCM943227HM4L listed on the bottom, I do see a lot of people complaining about drivers not working or not being able to find them... also, the "alleged" Bluetooth driver on this laptop has never been able to find a Bluetooth device. I dunno, all sorts of little annoyances with this laptop, but overall pleased.

Edited by deprecated, 05 February 2016 - 12:58 PM.

#6 deprecated

deprecated
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 02:36 PM

Option 1:

http://www.amazon.com/External-Docking-Station-Support-Function/dp/B00EHDTQQ0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1454699541&sr=8-6&keywords=usb+2.0+hub+with+enclosure

Now thoughts on something like using this? The whole reason the HDD adapter that I have is inconvient is that I am right handed and the USB's stick out obnoxiously. I know that to get my the best performance with the 5400rpm drive is to use both USB connectors; however, one will work, but I was thinking something that is externally powered... would run the mouse and the webcam with no performance issues, but with only using one port, correct? Seems a cheap all-in-one route to go, if so.

Option 2:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0142BEEHW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=17ZIW2AE3WUO5&coliid=I12VJPIESX5SBU&psc=1

Using my current USB to SATA adapter cords; however, that would not allow me to simultaneously run a webcam and mouse along with the hard drive.

Option 2/2A: (Above extension cords, plus...)

http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-2-5-Inch-External-Aluminum-Enclosure/dp/B00E362W9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454700680&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+2.0+hard+drive+enclosure

This would free up the second port, and I know I can run the HDD as secondary with 1x USB port... however, unsure if only using USB power would damper overall laptop performance and/or be straining.

Option 3:

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Port-USB-Power-Adapter/dp/B00DQFGJR4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1454701351&sr=8-5&keywords=usb+2.0+hub

With a cheap hard drive enclosure running my mouse and my webcam.

The first option seems the most convenient and possibly the most stable way to do stuff; however, the hard drive will not be fully enclosed so I would have to make sure that there is no risk of spilling or tipping/dropping. Option 2 with 2A is definitely the cheapest route, but again there are a few concerns, haha.

The ideal solution would be an externally powered laptop cooler, with both USB hub and a HDD enclosure, but alas, I cannot seem to find such a product.

Edited by deprecated, 05 February 2016 - 02:45 PM.

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:04 PM

Option 1: Yes using a docking station like that would be a good solution, using only one usb port on the laptop, and even providing three extra ports. I have a USB 2.0 to SATA IDE Adapter that I use but I like your solution better if you need more ports.

Option2/2A : That enclosure is only usb 2.0 but that's what the laptop has. It works but doesn't future proof you if you do have hardware compatible with usb 3.0 currently or down the road. Using only usb power would not put any extra strain on the laptop.

Option 3: Its a viable alternative also. Externally powered and only using one usb port.

I agree that option 1 is your best way to go. The spillage isn't really an issue though is it? You run the same risk with the laptop.

I have a laptop that has damage on the hinge between the base and the screen making difficult to open and close. If it is opened and closed much more the hinge will likely break off detaching the screen. I was asked to see if I could fix it but it would have cost more than it was worth ( a $350 laptop where the repairs would have cost my client $500+). The client said I could have it for my trouble. I was able to cobble it together and get an SSD (the hard drive was trashed) and I maxed out the ram to 8GB but I didn't repair the case. Since I don't charge myself labour this worked out for me.  I use this as a desktop replacement and it works well for my purposes. I use an external keyboard and mouse connected to another PC with Synergy allowing me to use one keyboard and mouse between multiple PC's. In this way, all three usb ports are free to use. I have an older free version but now they charge $10 for a lifetime licence. I have used it for years and I love it.

#8 deprecated

deprecated
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:20 AM

Yeah, that's kind of the reason I was like eh... SATA II SSD? Nah, SATA III would work best...

I am just thinking like it's pretty vertical and the hard drive's controller is completely bare to the elements... and I mean it is a laptop so, moving it and being an idiot could potentially lead to a cord snag, to HDD hits the floor and the connections could potentially be jolted while connected or completely broken off. More so, worrywart status than anything as I try to tell everyone I manage that the best way to prevent disaster and/or be efficient, is to assume that EVERYONE is a dummy. So maybe just using an extension cord to connect it would prevent the tip/fall factor and break the connection entirely instead.

Edited by deprecated, 06 February 2016 - 01:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users