Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Emsisoft Anti-Malware or Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 nbarr7655

nbarr7655

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:08 AM

Which one is better for protection? Are there key difference between the two? We have some users who only seem to be having issues while browsing and generally clearing out everything in terms of cookies and history has been fixing this issue. So in that case, would Anti-Exploit be better?

Like I said, are there key differences between the two programs? We also have Kaspersky running so we need something that can run side-by-side with that.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:12 AM

They are entirely two different programs.

Emsisoft Anti-Malware (EAM) is an antivirus platform that includes anti-malware protection which uses two scanning engines and three security levels (or layers) of protection to prevent the installation of malware and stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer. EAM uses advanced behavior blocking analysis which is extremely difficult to penetrate...it continually monitors the behavior of all active programs looking for any anomalies that may be indicative of malicious activity and raises an alert as soon as something suspicious occurs. Emsisoft’s Behavior Blocker is able to detect unknown zero-day attacks and file-encrypting malware (ransomware) attacks. Emsisoft also has the added advantage of blocking the installation of most Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) (such as adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers) if you enable that feature.

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (MBAE) is an action level security application (behavior based) that runs in the background as a standard Windows Service and protects against, the malicious action of exploiting software vulnerabilities, blocks zero-day exploits that target browser and application vulnerabilities, blocks exploit kits and defends against drive-by download attacks. MBAE provides four layers of exploit protection to include application hardening, protection against Operating System security bypasses, memory caller protection, and application behavior protection. MBAE continuously monitors popular applications, preventing vulnerabilities in software and browsers from being exploited, blocks unknown and known exploit kits, proactively preventing the exploit from installing its payload before it can do damage. This means that it will protect against code execution that uses a certain vulnerability in an application.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,765 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:15 AM

Emsisoft Anti-Malware Resources:

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Resources:

#4 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:19 AM

^^ Hard to top that. @quietman7 is *THE* expert on all things related to consumer security, bar none. ^^

You mention "cookies".

I don't know about EAM, but neither MBAM nor MBAE (nor the new, BETA product, MBARW) scans for or removes cookies.

Tracking cookies are not malware, per se, but you can use another application (such as SuperAntispyware), as well as browser settings and extensions, to control them.

HTH,

MM

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,765 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:42 AM

Yea...Cookies are NOT a "threat" in the typical sense we think of malware infection. As text files, cookies are inherently harmless and cannot be executed to cause any damage. See my detailed explanation about cookies and links to resources in order to mitigate them.

As long as you surf the Internet, you are going to get cookies and some of your security programs will flag them for removal. Anti-malware scanners have more important things to look for, so I would recommend disabling the option to search for cookies in those programs which include that feature...this will also decrease the amount of time it takes to perform a scan. You can minimize the number of cookies which are stored on your computer by using tools like tools like tools like SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol’s Cookie Manager and Ghostery, a browser tool which allows you to block beacons, trackers, advertising, analytics, widgets and cookies.

#6 nbarr7655

nbarr7655
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:45 AM

If I were to run them both side-by-side with our current AV is it going to take a toll on the PC performance? All of the protection sounds very nice but if it takes a major toll I'm not sure we could implement it.

#7 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:54 AM

Hi:

I'll leave it to @qm7 to advise about EAM...

But I run KIS with MBAM Premium and MBAE Premium on my systems without any issues.

>>Your posts sound as if you are talking about Business/Government/Corporate/Enterprise systems???

>>If so, please be aware that use of MBAM in that environment requires Business licensing and that there is a different product for that environment, MBAM-Business.  MBAM Home (either Free or Premium) is for use only by home users on their personal computers.

>>There is also a separate MBAE product for that environment, MBAE-Business.

(The same is true for Kaspersky, by the way.)

Cheers,

MM

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,765 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:54 AM

There would be no problem running MBAE alongside Kaspersky.

Are Emsisoft products fully compatible with other security products? (04 November 2014)

Yes and No

Emsisoft products were originally designed to complement antivirus and firewall software. Today this is no longer the case, with Emsisoft now providing a full replacement for any antivirus and/or firewall software.

As such, some of Emsisoft's protection modules are not compatible with other antivirus software. Emsisoft Anti-Malware is a complete anti-malware and anti-virus solution and offers solid protection. Emsisoft Internet Security also includes these features, but with the addition of a firewall for comprehensive protection of your computer.

Statement from Fabian Wosar, Authorized Emsisoft Representative (Security Developer)...

Could EAM still be used as a companion antivirus?

The thing with compatibility is that it outright blocks a whole bunch of features we would like to add. That is why we no longer recommend using EAM alongside any other AV software. At the moment we are still compatible with pretty much all of them and if we can easily work around a conflict we will still do so. However, we no longer consider a degradation of compatibility a blocker for new features.

#9 nbarr7655

nbarr7655
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 09:57 AM

To confirm, these products would be used in a place of business. And yes, we would be purchasing the proper licensing. I plan to test all three of them together on my personal PC before we did any sort of deployment. I just thought I would check with you guys since I have found this community to be rather awesome!

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,765 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:27 AM

Emsisoft Business Products
Emsisoft Anti-Malware for server
Emsisoft Emergency Kit Pro for helpdesk and PC repair use <- includes the full version of Emsisoft Anti-Malware

#11 nbarr7655

nbarr7655
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:46 AM

Thank you very much quietman.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,765 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 11:01 AM

You're welcome.

#13 Superblynotsuper

Superblynotsuper

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:33 PM

I am trialling EAM without the firewall as I like windows' one.

Emsisoft has improved from when I tried them back years ago when there were many false positives. I always said I would always consider them in the future but just not know. Well I have installed it and it seems rather nice to look at and it seems to have a lot of features that make sense. I like the privacy SSL encryption for emsisoft to computer connection for example which can be turned on or off. I've had a serious think about security the last week, I could say, which has led me to EAM. I like the responsiveness of the program. The support I believe is very good, too.

As for MBAE it can be run with EAM which is a match I like. It shields what EAM does not.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,765 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:40 PM

That's what I do...use EAM and Windows Firewall.

As for support...some of the employees involved with Emsisoft product development, research and technical support are well known security experts who have volunteered their personal time to assist victims of malware infection long before their program was created. They still stay personally involved with helping victims on Internet forum boards as well as provide individual support services to users of their products. This means they are personally tuned into the day to day analysis of active malware and any reported issues with their software so they are able to respond quickly to them.

At least three of the Emsisoft Team provide assistance to members here at Bleeping Computer. Fabian Wosar is a Security Developer, GT500 is a Security Colleague and Elise is our Malware Study Hall Admin who oversees the Bleeping Computer Training Program.

No amount of money can buy such dedication and support.

#15 Superblynotsuper

Superblynotsuper

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 07:22 PM

All I can say is EAM is very light and quite easy to use. I'm impressed with the behaviour blocking and overall quality of the software. It seems to run smoother and lighter than Eset without looking at specifics and stats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users