Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 harassments

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Pestyone

Pestyone

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:51 AM

Seems like MS is getting nastier and sneakier forcing us win 7 users to upgrade to W 10; is their software yet that can block this or

a list of the updates that MS keeps trashing us with that i need to delete ?

A list is so needed - thanks a bunch

Edited by hamluis, 05 February 2016 - 05:10 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Win 10 Discussion - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,747 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:53 AM

There is a ton of discussions about this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/584272/discussion-windows-10-upgrade-path-experiences/

Also try the regular Windows 10 section.

And....yes, M/Soft is getting very aggressive about this, they are currently implementing auto-download of W10 if you enable auto-install of normal updates.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 11:46 AM

For that reason, I have turned off auto updates and that's what I recommend to others. Just remember to manually check for updates once a month.

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:01 PM

Up to now I've just renamed all instances of GWX.EXE, and that's worked fine.  But if they start automatically downloading it with Windows Updates, that sounds like it'll be a new ball game.  MS is committed to supporting 7 until 2020, so I don't know why they've got such ants in their pants to get everybody on 10, but they sure are trying to push us.  It makes me wonder if they're working on some gizmo that will only be supported on 10 that we haven't heard about yet.   :wizardball:

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,623 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:23 PM

See this post for updates to uninstall. You many not have the entire list as it also includes Windows 8. Install GWX Control Panel

Go to settings and uncheck :Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates.

Instead of Automatic Updates select Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them

Only install Security Updates. For important updates make sure they are relevent to you before installing.

Also see this thread mentioned in the above link.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/updates-to-hide-to-prevent-windows-10-upgrade-disable-telemetry.780476/

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 February 2016 - 06:00 PM.

#6 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 09:10 PM

Seems like MS is getting nastier and sneakier forcing us win 7 users to upgrade to W 10; is their software yet that can block this or

a list of the updates that MS keeps trashing us with that i need to delete ?

A list is so needed - thanks a bunch

In addition to seeing the information about what updates to un-install, that others have given above, I can only say that you should check each and every update from here on.

They just keep morphing - and even though you hide them they just keep coming back. Only safe thing to do is check each and every one - by clicking onto the link 'find out more about this update'.

That is, until MSFT finds some way to be deceptive there too - and I wouldn't put it past them.

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:24 PM

Post #4, although that works you need to do a bit more as well, furthermore as general advice users should not alter the GWX files until AFTER removing the updates responsible for creating them, this method is helpful but as a part of the cleanup in removing the last gwx traces rather than as the first step in gwx blocking.

Post#3, setting the updates to "manual"("Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them") is absolutely the right thing to do, but one should be once a week really, not once a month. The only updates people actually NEED are security bug fixes and it's important to get them quickly, so check each tuesday or wednesday for them, the chances are that this will result in getting the genuinely needed security updates FASTER than someone with full auto updates would and it will also allow you to avoid the many unwelcome gwx related updates.

Edited by rp88, 06 February 2016 - 02:24 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#8 Smsec

Smsec

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 03:13 PM

Try GWX control panel. It was developed to deal with the aggressive Win 10 updates. It works great. http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

#9 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 05:04 PM

Post #4, although that works you need to do a bit more as well, furthermore as general advice users should not alter the GWX files until AFTER removing the updates responsible for creating them, this method is helpful but as a part of the cleanup in removing the last gwx traces rather than as the first step in gwx blocking.

Post#3, setting the updates to "manual"("Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them") is absolutely the right thing to do, but one should be once a week really, not once a month. The only updates people actually NEED are security bug fixes and it's important to get them quickly, so check each tuesday or wednesday for them, the chances are that this will result in getting the genuinely needed security updates FASTER than someone with full auto updates would and it will also allow you to avoid the many unwelcome gwx related updates.

RP88, if you uninstall the updates with GWX.EXE, you can hide KB3035583 and subsequent ones, but as another poster noted, it just comes back in a week or two.  Renaming GWX.EXE lets the update process think these updates are installed, so it doesn't try to reinstall them.  THAT's why it works when uninstalling and hiding the updates doesn't work.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 07 February 2016 - 02:38 PM

Post #8, they only get installed again in a few weeks if users do not set updates to "check automatically but let me choose whether to download". With updates set to "check automatically but let me choose whether to download" things like KB3035583 might be offered again, but they won't install, and next time you do install updates you'll be able to untick the ones you don't want, install the ones you do want and then hide KB3035583 and it's friends, so that they won't even be offered again for over a month or so when ms brings out a new version(and the new version won't install unless you accidentally tick it as long as updates are set to "check automatically but let me choose whether to download").

I see the logic to your "let the system think kb3035583 is installed but rename gwx so it cannot be run" argument, but I believe that keeping kb3035583 and it's friends off one's system entirely is a more effective method.

Edited by rp88, 07 February 2016 - 02:40 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users