Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Windows Me And Screen Resolution

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sheri7177

Sheri7177

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 08:56 PM

If anyone out there can help me, I'd really appreciate it... here's the problem:

I made the mistake of letting my computer install updates from Microsoft for Windows ME. After the installation, my computer would not boot up, I had to run it in safe mode and remove the updates via the add/remove programs because my husband for some reason had disabled our system restore and I could not just restore.

After that, the computer would boot, but the colors were messed up (grainy) and the icons were huge. I installed new drivers for my nVIDIA card and also for my monitor and ran some diagnostics and was able to get my color settings back to normal, but I cannot change the screen resolution back, the tab is stuck at 640x480.

I can't seem to find any other suggestions as to what might be wrong other than these drivers, but there are a million different video drivers and after trying 3, I am thinking it's not gonna solve my problem.

This is driving me NUTS, I've spent the whole day messing with it, someone please HELP!!

I am running nVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 pro video card if that makes any difference.

THANK YOU in advance to anyone who can help me!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 09:05 PM

Sounds familiar. The nVidia drivers didn't include a control in the tray? It's good if you can find the original disk - that's one of the problems with older computers - finding the OEM disks. Are you getting your drivers from here?

#3 Sheri7177

Sheri7177
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:39 PM

Thanks for the reply! I did get a driver from nVIDIA's site however, when I install it, it messes up the color AND resolution. Another driver I found just randomly at least gives me the proper color, I just can't change the resolution.

I'm not sure what you mean by a control in the tray... I'm not all that savvy about this stuff obviously LOL!

I do have the original disks and paperwork for the computer. The manual says that the video drivers are loaded when the computer is put together... I put in the system disk and attempted to load the drivers from it, however, when I try to load those, it comes up and tells me I shouldn't. When I proceed anyway, I wind up with errors and the colors are messed up again... although it does let me change the resolution.

AHHHH! Help!! I'm about to toss it out the window!!

Edited by Sheri7177, 29 July 2006 - 10:44 PM.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 30 July 2006 - 12:58 PM

Whats the make and model of the computer?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 Sheri7177

Sheri7177
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2006 - 02:35 PM

Thanks to those who took the time to respond... my husband seems to have things running smoothly again, however I may be back if we have a relapse!!

This computer will never know how close it was to getting drop kicked out the second story window yesterday...

Thanks again:)
Sheri

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2006 - 05:19 PM

Sheri ~

Many video card softwares put an icon in the system tray, which is the area on the bottom right of the taskbar. When you click on the icon, it gives you the ability to change resolutions and sometimes more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users