Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading To Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 spottap

spottap

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 08:31 PM

Hi, I have windows 2000 running on my computer right now. But i want to upgrade to windows xp pro. I have the xp cd to do that, but when i put the cd in the drive, and it starts up. I click on check for compatiablity and it comes back and tells me that windows 2000 can not be upgraded to xp. Is there anything i can do to upgrade it. I do not like windows 2000, plus my kids computer is xp and i want to network their computer to mine so that they can use the internet from their computer instead of mine.

Please would appreciate any help

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 11:04 PM

Windows 2000 Pro should be able to be upgraded to Windows XP Pro, but not Home.

You will need a fresh copy of Windows XP Pro update version that has never been used in any other computer before.

You need to boot from the CD.

You will need the 25 digit key numbers from both Windows 2000 Pro and the upgrade version for Windows XP Pro.

You may need to change the boot order in your bios to boot from the CD first.

Edited by Enthusiast, 29 July 2006 - 11:05 PM.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2006 - 01:15 PM

By the way, there is no problem networking a computer running Windows XP - either version, with one running Windows 2000 as long as they both have network adapters (wired) or in the case of wireless - USB ports.

If you have Sp2 installed on XP there is both a networking wizard and a wireless setup wizard (if you want to use wireless rather than wired).

You access both in your control panel.

For complete instructions go to your computer that is running XP, click start/help and type in networking.

It will also explain how to transfer the network wizard to computers running other Windows systems by using a floppy or a cd.

#4 spottap

spottap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2006 - 08:13 PM

I have a Microsoft Windows XP Professional including service pack 1a cd with the product key, that has never been used on another computer. The cd states on the label that it is a resinstallation cd. But when i got the cd, they told me i could use it on my pc.

I asked where i got the cd about it not letting me install over windows 2000 and they told me that i would need to remove windows 2000 and to do that i would need to formatt c: drive. I am a little scared of doing that since I have never done anything like this before.

I don't have the windows 2000 key, since it was installed on my pc, when i had a new harddrive put in it earlier this year.

thanks for your help

Pat

#5 spottap

spottap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2006 - 09:32 PM

I have networked a computer using xp pro and windows 98 before. The computer running windows 2000, was running windows 98 until the harddrive died. When i took it out to be fixed they installed windows 2000 and since then i can not network the 2 computers.

thanks

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2006 - 07:28 AM

I don't know what a "Reinstallation" cd is.
Microsoft offers retail full installation versions and upgrade versions.
Both these come with a 25 digit key which is needed to activate them.

To get full instructions about how to create a floppy or cd to use the networking wizard and to transfer it and use it on your Windows 2000 computer go to your Xp computer (must have SP2 installed to have a networking wizard), click start/help and type in "Networking" (without the quote marks) in the box that opens.

To get the 25 digit key number for your Windows 2000 computer use it top download keyfinder v1.41 from magicaljellybean.com

That will provide the 25 digit key for your Windows 2000 system.

I am guessing that the "reinstallation" cd might be an OEM version cd or a Restore CD issued by a computer manufacturer for another computer.

Is this a computer that was custom built, or is it a brand name computer?
If it is a full installation cd, and not a Restore cd, and if the 25 digit key will work, by booting with the cd you can format your hard drive and install Windows XP if the computer you are installing it on will support XP.

Microsoft has gotten pretty good at catching piracy, so be sure that the XP key number is really valid before you remove Windows 2000.

The following Microsoft knowledgebase articles may help:
How to tell if a version of Microsoft software is legitimate:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Edited by Enthusiast, 31 July 2006 - 07:43 AM.

#7 spottap

spottap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2006 - 06:51 PM

I have had my computer for about 2 years, it had windows 98 on it, i bought it from a computer store that had it leased out. In Jan/06 i had a new hard drive installed in it and the guy put on windows 2000, even tho i said i wanted 98 or xp pro. I got the xp cd on friday from a trusted person and I know that it has a valid key that has not been used on another computer.

I guess before i install xp i should make sure my computer will support it. So the question is what exactly do i need to have installed for me to be able to support xp? I know that the microsoft webpage tells you what you need, but I am not sure how to find out what processor i am running or how much ram i have.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 01 August 2006 - 01:47 AM

Download and run Everest Home 1.51. It will tell youeverything about your computer you need to know. I would print out a copy of the report. Prior to format nd installing XP make sure you have downloaded and burned to cd the drivers for your computer. It will make the installation much easier.

I use to recommend Everest 2.2, but a good friend turned me on to the fact that the older 1.51 has more features. Imagin that, right Enthusiast? :thumbsup:
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2006 - 09:38 AM

:thumbsup:

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2006 - 09:46 AM

Windows XP Pro Advisor (will inform you if Win XP Pro will be able to be installed on your computer)
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upg...ng/advisor.mspx

Windows XP Home Advisor
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/up...ng/advisor.mspx

#11 spottap

spottap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2006 - 05:08 PM

I ran the Windows XP Pro upgrade advisor and it came back with "Windows XP upgrade check found no incompatibilities or problems. So I should have no problems running xp on this computer then right. You mentioned to download and burn to a cd the drivers for my computer. How do i know what drivers to download and where do i find the drivers to download that i need?

Thank you for all your help

spottap

Edited by spottap, 01 August 2006 - 07:59 PM.

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:14 AM

You get the drivers from support at the manufacturer of the computer.

Providing that your computer passed the Microsoft test you should not have problems installing XP.

Boot from the XP cd and have it format and install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users