Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost sound

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jsaklas

jsaklas

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 02:12 AM

I'm running Windows 10 on a desktop PC.  I use two old Labtec speakers.  I've had sound on this computer for many years when running WIndows 7 and for almost a year since I upgraded to Windows 10.  Today, I have no sound.  I checked all connections and they seem OK.

I need help to diagnose the problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:42 AM

Have you checked the driver(s) in Device Manager?  That would be the first place I'd look.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 jsaklas

jsaklas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 11:25 AM

Niweg,

Be forewarned, I'm a senior citizen and, although I've used them for many years, am not a computer whiz on how they work.  Hence I will relate what I do in perhaps boring detail, and will require detailed instructions.

I right clicked on This PC, clicked on Properties; this brought up the Control Panel page.

I then clicked on Device Manager.  On Audio Inputs and outputs four icons showed up:  1) Microphone (Realtek High Definition Audio),  2)Microphone (USB2.0 MIC),  3) Realtk Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio), and 4)  Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

I clicked on numbers 3 and 4.  In the General Tab and in the Drivers Tab, it reported them working properly and when I clicked on the Drivers Tab it reported both were updated 10-29-15.

I also, in the Device Manger window, clicked on the Sound, video and game controllers.  Three drop down icons showed up:  1)  Inte® Display Audio,  2) Realtek High Definition Audio, and  3) USB2.0 MIC.   AGAIN, all showed to be Working Properly.

Lastly I clicked on System devices.  A multitude of drop down icons occurred.  I clicked on System speaker and it reported:  "No drivers are installed for this device."

#4 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 02:21 PM

Have you tried plugging in any device such as a pair of headphones to see if the speakers are bad?

#5 jsaklas

jsaklas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 04:27 PM

Yes, I connected the speakers I have connected to a second computer - still no sound.

#6 jsaklas

jsaklas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:23 PM

Problem solved.

I'm not sure exactly what Windows 10 did, but I did what I should have done first, that is, try the Troubleshooting capability and it worked.  I right clicked on the sound icon in the tray and then clicked on Troubleshoot.

What I don't understand is why this problem occurred.  My sound worked perfectly well for years and then nothing.  My guess is it may have been an MS update to Windows.

In any case, thanks for your interest and willingness to help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users