Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovered data hard drive slow and hanging

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 goofydude

goofydude

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 12:59 AM

I use a 2 drive set up, a small solid state for my operating system and whatever game I'm currently into, and a 2TB storage drive.

My storage drive (D:) bombed and I took it in for data recovery. The tech saved about 1.3TB of 1.6 used. He put the image onto my new drive and got it going again. However when I try to access explorer or anything pertaining to D: it hangs for about 45 seconds before giving me access. I ran CCleaner first off to knock out registry entries that lost their home but haven't seen any improvement.

What else should I do to get this thing back in order? I'm on Windows 10.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:50 AM

1.3 tB of data - on how large of a hard drive?

Was the new drive really new, or just repurposed from another system?

Please make it hang and then generate these reports (this'll force the errors to the top of the second report  (and some of the first reports) and make them easier to see)

Let's try looking at these reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 goofydude

goofydude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:29 AM

Its a brand new 2 TB hard drive, a few other things have happened, games and browsers will freeze for a few seconds, and the right click menu is slow to open. (the games have been validated by steam and had their broken parts repaired.)

Attached Files

#4 goofydude

goofydude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:01 PM

Update: defragged overnight, explorer seems to be acting correctly now, however when I open an upload or save box in a program, say attaching those reports, still hangs.

Another Update, now when I open the upload or save boxes it loads quickly, but hangs for 40 seconds around 10 seconds after i close the box.

Edited by goofydude, 05 February 2016 - 09:14 PM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 06 February 2016 - 05:48 AM

The Admin logfile appears to be corrupt.  Please try to generate it again and upload it.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version F6) dates from 2012.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

C: drive is getting very full (but it's not a problem yet).  Please consider moving things from it in order to maintain 15% free space.  In extreme circumstances, very low free space has been known to cause BSOD's (less than 2% free).

There is an ApphelpHardBlock error in the WER section of MSINFO32.
I suspect that this means that you have incompatible software installed.
The ApphelpHardBlock message means that an incompatible program has been blocked, but it does not specify which program it is.
Please check your older software for compatibility with this version of Windows.

Daemon Tools (and Alcohol % software) are known to cause BSOD's on some Windows systems (mostly due to the sptd.sys driver, although I have seen both dtsoftbus01.sys and dtscsibus.sys blamed on several occasions).

Please un-install the program, then use the following free tool to ensure that the troublesome sptd.sys driver is removed from your system (pick the 32 or 64 bit system depending on your system's configuration):  New link (15 Aug 2012):  http://www.duplexsecure.com/downloads (pick the appropriate version for your system and select "Un-install" when you run it).
Alternate link:  http://www.disc-tools.com/download/sptd
Manual procedure here:  http://daemonpro-help.com/en/problems_and_solutions/registry_and_sptd_problems.html
NOTE:  The uninstaller may not find the SPTD.sys driver.  Don't worry about it, just let us know in your post.

Another thing to try is this free program:  http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Disable all the non-Microsoft shell extensions and reboot - then test to see if that fixes things.

If it does, then start re-enabling them in small groups in order to figure out which one it is.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users