Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

savebigonsearch.info blocking internet access when opening browser

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rogue_agent

rogue_agent

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:30 PM

I have a friend's Macbook that has a problem with the Safari browser. When I open Safari, a pop-up box appears that blocks me from going on any website - it is called savebigonsearch.info. Due to limited options and knowledge, I've used programs like Bitdefender and Dr. Web but they are unable to remove most threats for some reason.

I've taken a screenshot of it on the Mac but I can't open it on my Windows laptop, which I'm using to post on this forum. Therefore I must apologise that I cannot provide a screenshot of this problem.

The Macbook is using Mac OS X version 10.7.4. I can't update it any higher. I may need more help than usual since I am not familiar with Mac OS X.

Please help me in removing this suspicious program or whatever it is and please keep in mind that my options are limited, in the sense that I need to use a USB to transfer files to the Mac since I have no Apple ID, etc. to download any apps and no internet access on the Mac due to that program that's blocking Safari.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BSchwarz

BSchwarz

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 01:16 AM

Open Safari preferences. Click on extensions on top menu. Remove any extension that you are not familiar with. I believe the extension you want to remove is called searchme or searchbig.

After that make sure to reset you default search provider and your home page to what you use as homepage.

You should be good.

Edited by BSchwarz, 05 February 2016 - 01:21 AM.

#3 rogue_agent

rogue_agent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 01:48 AM

Is there an alternative way I can do this?

When I open Safari and try to do anything, including opening Preferences, the savebigonsearch program just blocks it from opening. I've tried this in Safe Mode as well but it's still the same result.

I just can't do anything in Safari :(

#4 BSchwarz

BSchwarz

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 02:05 AM

You could download Malwarebytes for Mac on an another computer. Put it on a USB stick, install it and let it clean things up for you.

#5 rogue_agent

rogue_agent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 09:21 AM

Sorry for posting without trying other things, but it looks like the problem is gone. I went into Safari and quickly selected Refresh Safari, and it removed everything. It looks like it's all fine now.

I tried Malwarebytes for Mac before and unfortunately it didn't remove this suspicious extension.

But anyway, it's fine now. Thank you for your help - without that I don't think I could've fixed this problem. Thanks!

#6 BSchwarz

BSchwarz

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 03:00 PM

Glad you got it fixed. I was going to suggest using terminal to do a refresh.

#7 rogue_agent

rogue_agent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 03:02 PM

I see. Thanks and I'll keep the Terminal function in mind just in case something like that would happen in the future.

Anyway sorry for posting again since issue has been resolved. Thanks for your help again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users