Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleaning my Windows 7 Installation

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 daldrys

daldrys

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:40 PM

Hello,

I have an HP pavilion G6 with an original windows  7 family installation , usually with my computers I make a clean reinstall from time to time, but this one i didn't do so for 3 years or more , even though I want , I didn't get the windows  and the recovery partition content is damaged I think.

So i have lots of junks and some weird files laying around and old installations leftovers and the startup gets slower.

I use Ccleaner regularly, but my question is what would the software a professional would use to clean up the computer and in what order and what should be done.

Thank you !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:14 PM

Because this is a family pack, it is an OEM? Right click Computer > Properties. Look at the Product ID at the bottom of the Window. Does it have an OEM in the number sequence? If not they you can download a iso of Windows 7 here. Make sure you backup your key and activation files with Advanced Token Manager First.

If an OEM, download Minitoolbox and check List last 10 event viewer errors and List Installed Programs. Post the log.

I would run TFC to clear any temp files that CCleaner misses. BC does not recommend using Registry Cleaners. They can cause more problems than they solve. 

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:28 PM

I'm curious as to what "clean up" means in your world.  Generally, the only time a system needs "cleaning" is when it reflects malware.

If you are referring to routine system maintenance with your use of said term...please be more specific as to what your intent is.

If you mean to return the system to a near-pristine state in which it was when first purchased...I would suggest a clean install.

Louis

#4 daldrys

daldrys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:23 PM

Because this is a family pack, it is an OEM? Right click Computer > Properties. Look at the Product ID at the bottom of the Window. Does it have an OEM in the number sequence? If not they you can download a iso of Windows 7 here. Make sure you backup your key and activation files with Advanced Token Manager First.

If an OEM, download Minitoolbox and check List last 10 event viewer errors and List Installed Programs. Post the log.

I would run TFC to clear any temp files that CCleaner misses. BC does not recommend using Registry Cleaners. They can cause more problems than they solve. 

Yes it does have OEM in the serial number, what does it mean ?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:27 PM

It means you cannot download an iso of Windows 7 from the link I provided allowing you to do a clean install. 

OEM licenses stays with the computer. People used to be able to download Windows 7 iso's for an OEM install but Microsoft put a stop to it.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 February 2016 - 05:28 PM.

#6 daldrys

daldrys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:31 PM

It means you cannot download an iso of Windows 7 from the link I provided allowing you to do a clean install. 

OEM licenses stays with the computer. People used to be able to download Windows 7 iso's for an OEM install but Microsoft put a stop to it.

please find attached the requested file .

Attached Files

• Attached File  MTB.txt   9.55KB   7 downloads

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:44 PM

There is no list of installed programs but it does look like your are having issues with your graphics drivers. You may want to update those. Does the machine run better in Safe Mode?

#8 daldrys

daldrys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:47 PM

Yes , i does run better , but I couldn't update the drivers, each time I try , i start having problem with windows aero getting deactivated , how can I fi this ?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:40 PM

Did you uninstall the old AMDdrivers first? You can go here and it will detect what drivers and software may need to be installed. I believe ATI drivers need .NET 4.5

#10 daldrys

daldrys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:52 AM

So,I have to delete the driver first then install the new one ?

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 06:57 PM

Yes, you need to uninstall the AMD graphics driver first before installing the new version unless the AMD processor you have is an APU.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/GPU57RemoveOldGraphicsDrivers.aspx

Edit: I am not sure why I assumed you have an AMD graphics driver. If you have an intel then you need to uninstall the driver before installing the new one.

What is your graphics chipset? 

#12 daldrys

daldrys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 03:32 AM

Actually I have both in my laptop, an Amd 6700M and an intel one, they are suppose to switch .

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:26 AM

Go to HPs support site for your model and install both the intel and AMD driver. Remove the intel driver and install the new driver. Then remove the AMD driver and install the new driver.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 01:03 PM

Specs

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users