Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Security Deluxe vs Kaspersky Internet Security

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:12 PM

My current AV is about to expire so it's time to purchase another year of protection.  I've been running Norton Security with good results but am wondering if I should switch.  Norton as you know is not included in the AV Comparatives but of the paid for choices Kaspersky is rated highly.

Can anyone help me decide if I should continue with Norton or make the jump to Kaspersky?

Also Amazon has prior year versions of Norton and Kaspersky available for substantial savings. 

Will these prior year versions automatically update to the current version when installed?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:37 PM

Although Norton (Symantec) is as good as any other well known anti-virus program, it is costly, requires numerous services and running processes that consume system resources and often results in complaints of high CPU usage. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up and create files/folders/registry entries in various locations.

I have read from other users that Norton has made improvements in newer versions of their software so they are not as resource heavy as past versions...while others still say differently. Those issues plus the cost factor are the primary reason many folks look for a free alternative. IMO, Norton is better utilized in an Enterprise system environment protecting many client computers. With that said, there are a lot of folks who prefer using Norton (especially if it came preinstalled) and there is nothing wrong with staying with a product you are satisfied with.

Norton Security Standard, Deluxe and Premium (formerly Norton Internet Security) are suites which means they include additional features in addition to anti-virus protection. Some of those extra features will also consume resources and affect performance. Symantec Endpoint Protection includes many of the same features but is intended for small businesses with several computers and servers.

I'm not an advocate of suites. All-in-one tools and suites are filled with extra features (including "bells & whistles") which typically use more system resources than separate programs that do the same task while other suites leave a much smaller footprint. Suites tend to have varying degrees of strengths and weaknesses accorded for each feature they incorporate. Internet Security Suites include a Firewall component, which IMO is unnecessary since the Windows built-in firewall is one of the best and provides adequate protection. Further, many folks also use a router which is essentially a hardware firewall.

In contrast, separate tools are designed, built and maintained with a greater focus in a specific area so they are generally of better quality and more effective at what they are designed to do. This means the program's performance for that particular feature is usually superior than their all-in-one counterpart. Further, all-in-one tools generally do not allow the user as much flexibility in tailoring program settings and usage.If you are adamant about using a suite, then I would recommend one of the following:See my comments at the bottom of Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why I recommend Emsisoft.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:58 PM

"Will these prior year versions automatically update to the current version when installed?"

For most programs and suites -- "withins" of versionX can be upgraded, normally at no charge.

Example:  Anti-Whoever 6.1 will upgrade to 6.2, 6.6, 6.8 -- but not to version 7.

Example:  Anti-Whatever version 5 will not upgrade to version 6 -- unless one pays the upgrade price.

Edited by RolandJS, 04 February 2016 - 03:00 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 Justa

Justa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:49 PM

Bleepin'

Wow, what a comprehensive answer.  Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out.  I didn't realize Windows firewall was regarded as one of the best.  I'll read through the attached links and make a decision.

Ronald,

Thanks so much.  Sounds like last years version of the same product is a safe bet.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,267 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:00 PM

No problem and the best thing about Emsisoft and ESET is that they leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources.

#6 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:54 PM

Hi, @Justa:

If you do opt for Kaspersky (KAV/KIS/KTS), you can get a good deal from Amazon.

A couple of notes:

• Legitimate licenses are valid for -1 to +3 versions.  So, a 2015 license should work just fine for these versions: 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018
  • So, you do not need to install 2015 -- just download and install the 2016 version and use the 2015 key to activate it.
  • If you want to kick the tires, there are trial versions.
  • Either way, be sure to fully remove all previous AVs (with the vendor's removal tool, if available) before installing KAV/KIS/KTS.
  • It's "safer" and less glitchy to buy a standalone, sealed, boxed CD than a digital download -- If you buy from Amazon, make sure to check the seller at Amazon (preferably direct from Amazon.com), and do not use "Marketplace" or questionable sellers.  (You don't need the CD, just the license info on the CD sleeve.)
    • The clock on the license for a standalone, boxed CD begins the day of the activation of the 1st computer. There is no grace period. So, if you are buying a multi-device license, you'll want to install it on all systems as soon as possible after the first activation, to avoid losing days.  There is no auto-renewal.
    • If you buy a digital download license from KL, it will be  SUBSCRIPTION license. The clock starts on the day of purchase, with no grace period.  This may be the case for a digital download from Amazon, too.  And subscription licenses come with auto-renewal. You may opt-out of this, if you want, after purchase.
  • KL licenses are geo-specific (because of piracy). (IOW, for example, a US license won't work in Asia and vice versa.) So, be sure you buy a license for your location.

Having said all that, I've used KIS for many years on Vista, 7/x32 and 7/x64

There is no one "best" AV to suit all computers, users and budgets.

And @quietman7's advice is, of course, both sound and expert.

So, it's up to you.

Cheers,

MM

Edited by MoxieMomma, 04 February 2016 - 09:07 PM.

#7 Justa

Justa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:26 PM

Thanks Moxie!

I really appreciate you providing all the details on Kaspersky as I decided on Total Security.  I found Total Security 2016 5 lic/1 yr for $32.50, a real good price, just hope it's a USA license and all legit.  I've downloaded the trial version of Total Security and will run Norton Removal Tool before installing.

Thanks again!

#8 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:37 PM

Thanks Moxie!

I really appreciate you providing all the details on Kaspersky as I decided on Total Security.  I found Total Security 2016 5 lic/1 yr for $32.50, a real good price, just hope it's a USA license and all legit.  I've downloaded the trial version of Total Security and will run Norton Removal Tool before installing.

Thanks again!

I don't want to be the skunk at the garden party, but....

That price does sound a bit too good to be true.

5 devices for KTS 2016 for $32.50, ummmmmmm I dunno. :unsure:

5 devices for KTS 2015, maybe.

The fine print on the item page (and on the CD box for the standalone) will usually confirm the geo-specific license.

It's something like: "For sale only in the US and Canada".

If you purchased directly from Amazon.com, you should be fine.

But, as always, be sure to keep all the paperwork, just in case.

If you run into glitches installing or activating, feel free to post back.

And they have an active English forum for KTS here.

And here is the US KTS 2016 support page.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,267 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:50 PM

Just keep in mind..."If it's too good to be true, then it probably is."

#10 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:52 PM

Just keep in mind..."If it's too good to be true, then it probably is."

Yes, that would be my concern, especially if it's only a digital download, not a sealed, boxed CD.

MM

#11 TazzyOpz

TazzyOpz

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:09 PM

Back when I did Software development/Management for a trucking company all there computers there ran Norton. And I always heard complaints of slow computers. Now me strictly being hired as a contractor I wasn't really aloud to do much to the users computers. However I did take a look at a couple of them and I believe a lot of the issues were due to Norton using so much resources. Now I was out at this company for about 3-4 weeks and this was a common problem. Now that I look back at it, I should have really notified the manager I was working with there about the problem.

Depending on what kind of computer you have (Spec Wise) you may or may not have issues with Norton. If you have an older computer I'd probably go with kaspersky to be safe. However if you are comparing them for virus detection. There really isn't any winner.

Edited by TazzyOpz, 06 February 2016 - 12:17 PM.

Software Developer & Malware Analyst
Programming Langues: VB.net, C#, Java, & HTML.
Reverse Engineering/Tracking Tool familiarity: Ollydbg, IDA, CE, & Wireshark
My Website

#12 Cavehomme

Cavehomme

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:12 AM

I'm late to this party but I thought I would mention that across all my PCs and laptops I use the following: McAfee, Webroot and Norton. I have previously used Kaspersky but always found it problematic in one way or another, similarly Bitdefender. Kaspersky also drive a truck through web security by implementing their own "man-in-the-middle" interception of Https/ssl traffic - they think they are being smart but they are not.

Surprisingly McAfee has a minimal impact upon resources and good extra features such as a vulnerability scanner. However, in the past year it's detection rates appear to have diminished and not much different to just using Windows Defender. I hope they turn this around. Also its firewall has recently been problematic.

Webroot is extremely light and minimalistic. Just install it and forget it. Good detection but definitely not the best.

Norton is very capable and amongst the very best for detection. It's got ever so slightly more impact upon my laptop performance, but for business / professional use it's not a problem and I don't mind having a slight impact upon performance if detection rates are higher and stability / quality is very high. For a gaming machine it might not be the best choice perhaps.

Anyway, a year late on this topic  :smash:

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:36 AM

:...For a gaming machine..."  oh well, this thread's a great info source, believe it or not, years ago, a gaming magazine's article writer raved about AVG behaving superbly on his gaming computer, no bloat, etc.  Times have changed since then, for AVG also.

Concerning present day Norton products, I understand that product line is slimming, trimming, using less resources.

Edited by RolandJS, 24 March 2017 - 09:37 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#14 Cavehomme

Cavehomme

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:34 AM

:...For a gaming machine..."  oh well, this thread's a great info source, believe it or not, years ago, a gaming magazine's article writer raved about AVG behaving superbly on his gaming computer, no bloat, etc.  Times have changed since then, for AVG also.

Concerning present day Norton products, I understand that product line is slimming, trimming, using less resources.

Since I installed Norton a few days ago I've noticed that now has much less impact on the system, no different to what I would expect any other low-impact security to be that I've tried. I guess it may have been running scans in the background although task manager cpu looked fine at the time. Whatever, it is a noticeable improvement. I've disabled the redundant search addons, perhaps that helped.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,267 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 04:43 PM

For a gaming machine..."  oh well, this thread's a great info source...

I still use old fashion boards or cards....that's the extent of my gaming. :lol:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users