Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer wont give me a drive letter

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 joeychan

joeychan

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:09 PM

i am trying to get info off old hard drive. i have a sata/ide to usb 2.0 adapter. when i connect it to my computer, the computer will not give me a drive letter for it. i have a hp pavillion model m9517c computer with 8 ram. it is running win 7. the old hard drive has win vista on it. it does recog. that it is attached to a usb port.

please help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:48 PM

Are you saying you cannot give the drive a letter in Disk Management? Is the drive listed in Disk Management?

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:05 PM

If Windows can't help; maybe booting a Puppy Linux usb-stick or dvd will give you access to that problematic device.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 joeychan

joeychan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:08 PM

yes it wont give the drive in disk management a letter, it says disk 5. when a right click on it their is no option to change drive letter.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:22 PM

As RolandJS suggested try an offline approach. Puppy linux is good for this. Burn the Puppy iso to a CD. Boot Puppy and when at the Puppy Desktop attach your USB adapter. You should see a USB icon appear next to your optical drive. Click once on it the drive should mount. A File Manager will open. Size and drag the Window until it fits half of your screen.

In the lower left will be your hard drive partitions labeled sda1...sda2...sdaX   depending on how many partitions are on the hard drive. sda2 should be your Windows partition. Click once on it and another File Manager Window will open. If you do not see the Windows partition close out the window and select another sdaX partition until you see your files. Resize and drag until you have both File Manager Windows open. Highlight the files you want copied by left clicking and holding the Ctrl key. You can also left click/drag a window around the files/folders you want copied.  Drag the highlighted files from the USB to your internal drive. A small dialog window will open. Check the quick button and click Copy, not Move. 

I recommend Tahrpup  tahr64-6.0.5.iso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users