Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading to Windows 10 yay or nay?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jeannot18

jeannot18

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 12:47 PM

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? Keep getting that little message in the tray to upgrade, i am quite/very happy with Windows 7 and I don't really want to mess up something that is working by something that may bring a lot of problems. The fear I have is that for example, I have a copy of Microsoft Office 2010, and have no intention to upgrade to Office 365, would W10 mess up Microsoft Office 10 at all? Also, i am not happy with W10, can I revert back to W7 (i have my own copy bought a few year back). Thanks and sorry if this has been asked already but could not find anything concrete on search results

J

Edited by hamluis, 04 February 2016 - 02:20 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Win 10 Discussion - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:00 PM

This is my opinion. If your computer is running fine and you plan on getting a new computer in about 4 years then stick with 7.  If you do decide to upgrade then at least create a disk image to an external drive using a program like Macrium Reflect Free. This would let you revert back to 7 with the least issues. Sometimes reverting to 7 from 10 inside of 10 does not go well.

You can remove the upgrade notice using GWX control Panel.

It would be a good idea to also uninstall these updates.

KB2952664 Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7
KB2990214 Update that enables you to upgrade from Windows 7 to a later version of Windows
KB3021917 Update to Windows 7 SP1 for performance improvements
KB3022345 Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
KB3035583 Update installs get windows 10 app in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1
KB3068708 (replaces KB3022345) Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
KB3075249 Update that adds telemetry points to consent.exe in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7
KB3080149 Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry

See this thread too. Edit: This also.

Because Windows 10 is considered a "Service" and constantly updates with no way of stopping it you could find one of your devices such as a printer no longer supported. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 February 2016 - 01:03 PM.

#3 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,092 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:08 PM

There are a multitude of opinions on this very topic and some of which have become quite heated with regards to not only 'privacy issues' but performance as well. Look through the Windows 10 Support Forum for some 'unfortunate upgraders' and then there are those who have experienced no problems. Then there are those who have upgraded and then reverted back before the thirty days had expired.

If you want a good grasp of differing opinions, I suggest you peruse the Windows 10 Discussion Forum. Go back to around June of 2015 and work your way to the present. There are some very excellent points of view both 'pro' & 'con'.

Personally, I like my Windows 7 just the way it is and for a plethora of reasons will not upgrade to Win X. My thought is to gravitate more towards Linux.

Hope this has contributed somewhat to being helpful.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:15 PM

sikntired's suggestion of linux is a good one. If you do keep the computer past Windows 7 end of support date of 2020 then consider Linux Mint or Ubuntu.

You do not have to install the linux distros to try them. They will run off a USB flash drive or DVD.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/why-switch-to-windows-10-or-a-mac-when-you-can-use-linux-mint-17-3-instead/

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 February 2016 - 01:15 PM.

#5 TazzyOpz

TazzyOpz

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:41 PM

We've had a few people come into our shop Upgrading from 7 to 10. It just seemed to make things a little messy or sluggish. However doing a backup and reload of windows 10 on the computer usually made everything run smoothly. Now I get you may not want to go through the hassle of doing this. So I'd say it really depends. Are there any features in windows 10 that you specifically like? I'd say Windows 10 has been out long enough now to have ruled out any major bugs so you should be fine there. 

#6 raymac46

raymac46

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:00 PM

I have upgraded both a Windows 7 desktop and a Windows 8.1 laptop to Windows 10. The 8.1 upgrade and subsequent updates went well and still works fine. The initial Windows 7 upgrade went OK but when I tried to install the next big upgrade (November service pack) I had problems.

The OEM who originally installed Windows 7 put the boot information in a 100 MB Reserved Partition and Windows 8 and above needs at least 350 MB for its info. As a result my second update on the Windows 7 machine failed and to get it to work I had to use a bootable partitioner and extend the Reserved Partition, taking a little space from my C:\ data partition. After that the Windows 10 SP upgrade went fine.

The only software issue I had was that my Bitdefender security suite had to be removed and a new version installed to work with Windows 10.

So to recap if I had Windows 8 I'd upgrade because Windows 10 has a much better interface. Windows 7 is pretty good as it is.

That said, Windows 10 runs fine on both machines - one is from 2012 and the other from 2014.

But the bottom line is that a properly installed Windows 10 on a new machine will give the fewest problems.

I am also a happy Linux Mint 17.3 user on another desktop.

#7 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:18 PM

Microsoft says your version of Office is compatible with Win 10, but there have been issues with all versions. I don't know if they've been fixed, as I use Libre Office.

Your first question is harder to answer. I had good upgrades. Others did not. IMO, the folks who are happiest with the upgrade were the ones who were prepared to fix small issues and deal with general wonkyness until MS got Win 10 ready for prime time. I think it's getting close, but only you can decide what to do.

In addition to the great advice you've already gotten, I would like to suggest googling your specific machine and Win 10, to see if there are major problems with Win 10 and your hardware. Some computers just shouldn't be upgraded.

#8 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:42 PM

Office 2007 and 2010 both work just fine under Windows 10.  I'm starting to see posts saying MS is going to start automatically upgrading 7 and 8.1 systems via Windows Update.  So far I've been able to keep the upgrade messages away by renaming all instances of GWX.EXE, but if MS moves that to the Windows Update, that could be a new ball game I guess.  That's just one more reason I make full system backups.  If that or some other problem hits, I can be back up and running just fine in about 30 minutes.  I have 10 on a laptop and two test desktops, but my main desktop is on 7 and will remain on 7 as long as I have any way to keep it.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#9 jeannot18

jeannot18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 04:34 AM

Thanks guys, some really good views and tips you gave me. I think I am going to stick with W7 for as long as I can, I am happy as it is now, so why should I fix something that is not broken. I will do a disc image backup as mentioned just in case Microsoft decides to force W10 on their Windows update. Thanks again

J

#10 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 09:14 PM

Thanks guys, some really good views and tips you gave me. I think I am going to stick with W7 for as long as I can, I am happy as it is now, so why should I fix something that is not broken. I will do a disc image backup as mentioned just in case Microsoft decides to force W10 on their Windows update. Thanks again

J

Should you update to W10 ?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rather, you load Linux - particularly Mint Cinnamon 17.3.

You may then feel like it is the BEST thing you ever done computer wise, like I did.

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

#11 jeannot18

jeannot18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 05:13 AM

J

Should you update to W10 ?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rather, you load Linux - particularly Mint Cinnamon 17.3.

You may then feel like it is the BEST thing you ever done computer wise, like I did.

Got ubuntux on a very old laptop, but i dont use it that much. I may try a dual boot with Linux just to compare, bus as I said, i am fairly happy with Windows 7 for the time being

#12 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:48 PM

During my choosing of a Linux distro, I tried several, including ubuntu. Didn't like it much.

But I LOVE Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.3 - and once I customised the interface,  bland backgrounds, etc, it is just fantastic.

That may be a real option for you to try - up to you.

Yes, I like .. or rather, liked W7. Now I have no real need for it, though I do keep it updated on one laptop.

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

#13 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 12:45 AM

My Policy is upgrade if you can your going to have to do it  eventually anyways. Except for a few issues for some people WINDOWS 10 is a piece of big cake.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#14 webrat

webrat

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 11 February 2016 - 12:24 PM

I installed and uninstalled 3 times before getting it to work right but I'm happy with it now. First time I abandoned ship because some of my plugins didn't play nice. It wasn't long before workarounds and updates appeared though. Install 2 had a graphics driver issue that basically defaulted to the onboards after constant crashes, even in normal use let alone gaming. This wasn't much fun so it was back to the drawing board. Install 3 was where it all came together. I stripped out any trace of previous graphic drivers post-install using a decent cleaning tool. After that it all worked as expected.

As much as I thought 8.1 was good enough I do think 10 is better. Most of what you need is a click away and the start menu is arguably even better than the original. It all just seems a lot less fussy somehow once you've got your head around it. You can pretty much do everything from the start menu and taskbar. There's a lot of....unnecessary features...but most of them are easily scrapped to tidy things up and the ones you do find useful are actually useful, rather than half-baked. The search function, with or without Cortana, is damn good. Performance wise it seems pretty snappy overall, which is always a bonus plus you get DX12 which is bound to be a big deal before too long. I'd definitely give it a thumbs up for people that are a bit switched on and know how to solve a few problems they might encounter. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users