Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 - always reboots during virus scan - malware or overheating?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 maha099

maha099

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:12 AM

Hi guys! Here's my problem: I haven't been able to complete a full Avira scan in over a month now, as my computer reboots every single time in the middle of it. I'm reading some stuff that says it could be overheating - Speccy has my CPU (i5) at 99 °C and my motherboard at 84 °C. But are antivirus scans really that demanding? This rarely happens at any other time, and always happens during scans.

I'm going to try running a scan in Safe Mode and get back to you with the results. What else should I do? Thanks in advance!

Edited by maha099, 04 February 2016 - 07:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:43 AM

Hi maha099 :)

I doubt that your Avira scan is causing your computer to overheat. Can you post a Speccy snapshot so we can see what hardware you have? Make sure to take that snapshot when the system is idle, which means, nothing is running on it.

HpLn1DX.pngSpeccy - Publish a snapshot
Follow the instructions below to download and install Speccy, then to publish a snapshot of your system information:
  • Download and install Speccy from Piriform (the download will start automatically a few seconds after clicking on the Speccy link);
    Note: You can opt-out the Google Toolbar installation if you want;
  • Once Speccy is installed, launch the program and give it a good minute to load all your system information;
  • After that, click on the File menu in the top left corner, and select Publish Snapshot;
  • A window will appear asking you to confirm your decision to publish a snapshot. Click on Yes;
  • A new window will appear after, with a URL link to your snapshot. Click on Copy to Clipboard button to copy that URL to your clipboard, then paste it in your next reply and post it;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 maha099

maha099
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:22 PM

Here you go - http://speccy.piriform.com/results/EYJBU22NkpUpxrNiNoqfnmx

As for the Safe Mode scan: the computer didn't crash or reboot, but the scan was stuck at 17% (on an .mp3 file which I just scanned now and came up clean). After I ended the scan and tried to restart the computer, it hung on the shutdown screen and had to be manually turned off.

Edited by maha099, 04 February 2016 - 06:34 PM.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,474 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:35 PM

Was that Speccy snapshot taken while the system was idle? If so, you have an overheating problem.
Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67GHz: 99 °C
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P7P55D PRO (LGA1156): 84 °C
1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series (XFX Pine Group): 55 °C
I suggest you to open your computer case and clean all the dust inside. Make sure there's none left, and also make sure that all the fans are working properly when the computer is booted up.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 maha099

maha099
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:34 PM

System idle, yes. I actually took my computer to a shop only four months ago because of overheating, and now I'm thinking the guy was a con artist. I guess I'll take it elsewhere for cleaning, thermal paste and installing a second fan. Thanks!

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,474 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:46 PM

No problem maha, you're welcome :) Good luck with the repairs!

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users