Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing a password

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pugglerock

Pugglerock

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:11 AM

Hello again,

I'm hoping you guys are able to help a bit more this time unlike last time.

We have a password protected Excel document; it's the actual document that's password protected not the worksheet. The document was password protected with Excel 2010 so it uses a AES 128-bit* encryption.

Now I know 99% of the things you find online are all viruses; so I was wondering if you guys knew of a way to remove this password? The problem is it's quite an important piece of document we need to send onto our funders so we really need it unlocked; no one knows who passworded it or why either.

--------

*This is edited, it was originally 2048-bit but I was thinking of something else while typing up this post.

Edited by Pugglerock, 04 February 2016 - 09:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 11:34 AM

I'm sure someone will be along shortly...

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#3 Pugglerock

Pugglerock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 06:33 AM

This shortly is turning into a week.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 09 February 2016 - 06:49 PM

If the document was encrypted with AES 128bit then the only way to decrypt it is using a brute force password cracker. The best chance you have of decrypting the file is if person who added the password created a weak one. 

#5 Pugglerock

Pugglerock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 06:05 AM

I thought that would be the case but I wanted to check here to see if anyone had any solutions

Only problem is we have no idea who created it or who last edited; just what date and time it was edited.

Cheers anyway. We'll have to hope the external guys have a copy that goes back a couple of years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users