Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tired Of Small Windows, Dialog Boxes, Etc.etc

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MrClose

MrClose

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 04:45 PM

Hi everyone.

Please bear with me on this.
I am fairly new to the world of pc's and there is a Ton of stuff, ( what I am sure you guys think of as minor) that I haven't learned to do.

I already have to use magnifiers on most everything because I was born with sight impairments but, (here is where my problem(s) come in.

Sometimes a small window (like a Mcafee message window) will come up and all of the writing is crammed into this small space.
Sometimes the the X and - buttons will be at the top but the enlarge button (little square) will not work.

There is also No way that I can find to enlarge dialog boxes.
There are no x and - clickables at the top.

I'll do a search from my start- menu- search and the results (dialog boxes) are always small and crammed with info.

Even when I downsize the main window that I am in and try to enlarge the small window .. I can't.

Heck, Everytime I try to play a game on a game site, the game is always tiny and I can't find any way to make it bigger.

I have tried Every setting that I can think of, searched and read every forum that I can find .. To no avail.

I am sorry for this long post but I am desperate.

sincerely,
Mrclose

P.S. If it will help: I am on a Gateway media center pc.
Windows xp 2005 (pro edition), with the AMD athlon 64x2, dual core 3800+ processor. I am also on the 21" LCD Gateway moitor.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 07:59 PM

Hi MrClose and Welcome to BC! Posted Image
Try going to Control Panel/Accessibility Options and try changing the High Contrast Option. Or in your Control Panel/Display/Appearance, change the settings for easier viewing.
BTW,If you use Firefox there is a great little extension that magnifies images called ImageZoom.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,696 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 08:39 PM

Mr. Close:

I can understand your frustration. I am very nearsighted myself, though I usually don't have to resort to magnifying glasses. I think can help you with settings to make the print and display of stuff larger. I've done a lot of fiddling with the settings on my computer.

It would be helpful to know what browser you use: differerent browsers will need slightly different settings. I have experience with both Internet Explorer and Firefox browsers.

I'll get back to you later when I'm home to give you specifics on settings. I think various screen shots will be helpful in the directions, and it will take me some time to write this up, perhaps a couple days or so.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

p.s. Wow! I wish my monitor were a flat panel and such a nice size. I'm currently stuck with a 17" CRT, and the 17" includes the plastic framing :flowers: .

I've set the font on the message board to size 4. Please let me know if it is too big or too small for you, and I will adjust it on the next message. :trumpet:

A check Mr. Close: This sentence is in a larger font size. If this part doesn't look larger than the previous, then we'll know that there are some settings on your computer over-riding the fonts on the website.
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:02 PM

Hi Orange Blossom
Thank You and Everyone else for responding to my question.

I have found that it is very difficult to explain my problem to folks in a discussion or help group where they really understand what I am talking about.

I know about all of the display settings such as contrast, font and text size etc. etc. and I do have the Zoom extention from Firefox. I have no problems enlarging fonts or text, its the little windows (if that is what they really are) that I can't enlarge.

An example would be the url below. It takes you to a game window. The game is small and there seems to be no way to enlarge it.
I even put it on my webpage (with permission) to see if the game by itself could be enlarged .. still can't.

This is not really just about games though. I get little windows all the time with text in them that I can't enlarge/expand to see the whole text
Whats so frustrating is sometimes I'll get one of these little windows and it will have the plus and minus things at the top but the little box that sits between those two won't work?
I think you call it the restore down/restore up, maximize/minimize button?

I use Firefox and/or IE as my browsers.

I Hope that I am making a little more sense.

Again .. Thank You. (link below)
MC

http://arcaplay.com/classics/mahjongg/

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,696 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:33 PM

Let's see: you are referring to an actual game page such as Microsoft Hearts that comes packaged with Windows? I know that game doesn't include the resizing function: the middle button is dim, meaning it is not functional. I have been and am going to continue trying some experiments to see if I can't get it to resize. If I can get it to work with that, I suspect it would work for the on-line games. I don't do online game playing: trying that over a dial-up would be like threading rope in an embroidery needle even if my ISP allowed it.

By "little windows" are you referring to tool-tips or small pop-up messages boxes sent by your computer system or security system?

Another question: What are the DPI and screen resolution settings on your computer? The higher the screen resolution, the smaller things look though images are sharper and clearer, and increasing the fonts won't increase the size of the game page as I know to my grief :thumbsup: .

Orange Blossom :flowers:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users