Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Animations

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 maursett

maursett

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 04 December 2004 - 10:35 AM

Hi

I'm baffled. I've uploaded a web site using the identical files using Frontpage 2000. The web sites in question are www.maursett.com and www.maursett.dial.pipex.com.

The gif animations work on the former site, but not on the pipex site. I use Windows XP, Norton Internet Security 2005 and also have Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE plus operating on my system. I'm not sure if this problem is specific to my browser or if it is a general problem. I've cleared my cache and ensured that the IE 6 settings are set to play animations.

Any thoughts would be appreciated as I'm find this very frustrating.

Regards

Tony

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 04 December 2004 - 11:41 AM

What are the animations? Are they animated gifs?

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2004 - 11:49 AM

I visited both sites (which are one and the same I might add) Using IE 6 and Win ME. The animations on the both of them work just fine.

And yes Grinler they are animated .gifs

Edited by scarlett, 04 December 2004 - 11:49 AM.

Posted Image

#4 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 04 December 2004 - 01:34 PM

I do not know if this helps any, but I tried it in IE, Firefox, and Opera and this is what happened.

IE-Animations and sound work.

Firefox-The snow and music is not present.

Opera-Animations and sound work.

Based on this, it could be that you have a file association problem. On your desktop, right-click and select new Windows BMP image. Right-click the file, and select edit. Select file-> save as and change the type to GIF, the name of the file as test, and save it to the desktop. It will ask if you want to continue, click yes. Exit this application. Right-click test.GIF and select properties.

Post back the application that it opens with.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#5 maursett

maursett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2004 - 09:55 AM

Hi and thanks for the help so far.

I checked the file associations and changed it to Animation Shop (it was originally set to Internet Explorer).

I can still see the animations in one of the web sites, but not the other.

Jason, I tried your suggestion and the application that opens the file is Animation Shop.

I wonder if there is something going on in the windows registry that is causing problems.

One other thing I have noticed is that if I click on the Santa gig on www.maursett.co.uk it shows up as an Animation Shop animation type of file, whereas on the www.maursett.dial.pipex.com page it shows up as a Macromedia Fireworks doc (ie under picture properties). I've uploaded the files again and this still seems to be the case.

I also have difficulty in viewing some animated gifs in other websites (unless I click on Show All Images or Show Original Images - eg the clickable smilies on this page).

Still baffled.

Thanks for the help so far.

#6 maursett

maursett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2004 - 04:03 AM

After hours of frustration and attempting to change file extensions etc, I've finally sussed it out and it was quite a basic problem (the old story - always look for the obvious first!).

I have a dial up connection and use Onspeed (www.onspeed.com) to speed things up; needless to say, Onspeed is great, but I suddenly remembered that it works by compressing images. I changed the settings on Onspeed to "Show Original Images" and, hey presto, everything works fine.

Thanks to all of you who have offered help and suggestions. It really has been appreciated and I have found this forum invaluable and a great source of information.

Regards and thanks again.

Tony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users