Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

changing update settings to important updates only--help?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 username31

username31

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:36 AM

My laptop currently has all the default update setting checked so it installs all optional, recommended, and important updates. Is it okay to change the setting to install only important updates? What are the recommended and optional updates I will not be getting? What are the pros and cons of changing this setting?

I am wanting to do it because I do not want windows 10. I do actually already have the windows 10 update installed in my update list. It apparently downloaded in December. However, my laptop never upgraded to windows 10. I have read that for some people their computers randomly upgraded to windows 10 without them telling it to but for some people that never happens. I am hoping I can keep it from happening by changing my update setting to download important updates only. But I only want to do that if it won't cause any problems.

I do know I can uninstall and hide the windows 10 update number but in all the research I did, nearly everyone who said they did that said the update installed again anyway and there is actually no way to get rid of it.

Thank you :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DefaultGateway

DefaultGateway

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:12 AM

First of all, you don't need to Install Windows optional updates.

Secondly, you should change your Windows Update Setting to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them".

After you have changed the Windows Update Setting to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them", Windows Update will search again for available updates.

When the search is complete, look for KB3035583, and hide this update.

The Disadvantage is that you have to manually search for Windows Updates.

But the Advantage is that you have more control of which of the Windows Updates is being Installed on your Laptop.

#3 Moe_P

Moe_P

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:17 AM

I have also hidden KB2976978, KB3000850, KB3035583, they are also part of Win 10.

That's how Iv'e set mine and it alerts me if there are updates but don't download them unless I want them and I can choose which updates to install.

Edited by Moe_P, 04 February 2016 - 07:23 AM.

Moe_P

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:02 PM

username31, put your updates on "check automatically but ask me whether I want to download", untick "give me recommened updates the way i receive important ones", tick "give me updates for other microsoft products". Make sure to check every tuesday evening/wednesday morning for updates, when you see security updates (named "security Update for...") install those, all others reject, or if you have more time look at the descriptions for all others and reject any which don't sound actually useful to you.

Also you need to remove the windows 10 related stuff that has already arrived, use disk cleanup to get rid of the hidden $WINDOWS.~BT folder on your harddrive, temporarily set hidden files and folders to show, see if this folder is there (it'll be several GB in size), then use disk cleanup to remove it and check again. If disk clenaup doesn't get rid of it then I'll explain other methods using various tricks to delete it, but these require slow and bothersome matters of changing "ownership" and "permissions" on the folder in question, and should only be attempted if no other method is available.

As well as deleting that there is a huge list of windows 10 related updates you'll need to remove from the "installed updates" list, and you may also have to hunt around on C:\ and see if any remains of gwx.exe are present, if they are they need deleting and will require the same sort of tricks to remove them as the BT folder will. I will explain these if you need them. You MUST however remove the various updates from "installed updates" BEFORE using these methods to dispose of the last traces of gwx.

Updates you must remove include:
KB2976978
KB3035583
KB3044374
KB3123862
KB3135449
KB3013816
KB3046480
KB3065988
KB3083325
KB3022345
KB3068708
KB2952664
KB3058168
KB3065987
KB3065988
KB3021917
KB3050267
KB3075853

Edited by rp88, 04 February 2016 - 03:08 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users